Fixed Deal

Userlevel 4

This is my current Tariff.

Day Rate.....31.63p

Night Rate..20.08p

S.T......41.91

This is what OVO are offering me on a fixed Tariff.

Should I or shouldn't I ?

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Obviously up to you @Lucky2 although I have seen others offering a fixed tariff (just before the April cap update), without an exit fee

Userlevel 4

@BPLightlog This is a no exit fee offer

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No, I meant from another supplier. On your top post, it says £75 exit fee

No exit fees if you stay with Ovo and move to a different tariff, but they will apply if you leave Ovo

Userlevel 4

@BPLightlog my concern with staying on a variable tariff is the standing chargers as I've heard they can be as high as 70p a day. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

It's always hazardous to advise someone about selecting a fixed deal or stay with the SVT because anything could happen with the prices going forward. I find it better to point people towards Cornwall Insight who have a good track record of estimating future rates and let people make their own comparison and decision. At the moment there isn't a huge gap between the two and fixed deals are very cautious as the utilities are concerned about significantly undercutting the market and losing out.

https://www.cornwall-insight.com/press/cornwall-insights-final-forecast-for-the-april-price-ca

In the long term energy prices are expected to stay high but competition between the utilities may get them to offer a significantly better fixed deal to attract customers. The only significant deals out there are if you want to charge an EV but then your electric bill is likely to be two to three times your domestic bill and you can also charge in the early hours of the morning.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-12275321/Energy-bills-stay-high-15-years-experts-predict.html

Sorry I can't provide a definite answer as the benefits are marginal and the marketplace is uncertain.

Peter

Userlevel 4

@BPLightlog I'm not planning on leaving l OVO as they are still the cheapest for economy 7.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@BPLightlog my concern with staying on a variable tariff is the standing chargers as I've heard they can be as high as 70p a day. 

There are higher standing charges on the way although there is a thought that these might be reduced again later in the year. 
It is all a bit of a gamble I’m afraid. 
For what it’s worth, I’m not on a fixed tariff (but I’m also not with OVO at the minute)

Userlevel 5
Badge

Also good advice from Martin Lewis at Money Saving Expert about when to go for a fixed deal.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/are-there-any-cheap-fixed-energy-deals-currently-worth-it/

Userlevel 3

Well it’s up to you seems quite reasonable. my fixed plan is coming to an end have a new one that starts April . don’t know what my may be.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Always a gamble, to stick or twist. But those peak and off peak fixed that they’re offering don’t look bad compared to your current rates?  And I can’t see many suppliers (although there is at least one that I can think of!) with daily SC much below 50p for the foreseeable.  

Does the suggested £82 PCM average seem fairly favourable compared with your monthly average over the last 12 months or so? Assuming you envisage your electricity consumption not changing much.

I’ve got exactly the same conundrum coming up middle of May when my fixed tariff ends.  Up to you, but it is only for a year of course. And as you say, no penalty for switching within OVO…

Userlevel 4

@waltyboy last year's average was £84.47p PCM. I really don't know what to do it's the standing charges I'm most concerned about.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Yep @Lucky2, the standing charges are truly iniquitous for us all, especially for low/medium users. But apart from one or two variable tariffs from a certain other well known supplier, most people I think are predicting SC around the level of 50p or more for the foreseeable: it might be a bit more and then drop a bit back down towards 50p. Nobody knows for sure.

The beauty of a fixed tariff is that at least you know your SC can’t increase for a year, and, in my own personal opinion, 50-odd pence average daily SC is a fair ball park figure over the next year. “Fair” as in a fairly accurate assessment, not necessarily fair on us consumers, I hasten to add! But hey, I’m just one fairly simple old timer trying to puzzle his way through life! Like the rest of us, I can only guess, I’m afraid, BUT several posts above have mentioned the excellent Martin Lewis and his advice in the MSE website (advice which is constantly updated, I might add) and also Cornwall Insight predictions (on which MSE advice heavily relies on), which are widely regarded as being as accurate as one can be in predicting the future!  So do have a read of the relevant MSE advice on whether to go fixed or not, and incidentally they also have a great community forum. Not as great as this one, of course!

£82 as opposed to past year’s £84.47 certainly sounds OK? But you’re right to be concerned about daily SC…20p a day plus or minus over a year would be a difference of £70-odd, after all, or, put another way, a month’s worth of leccy, give or take.

Let us know what you think, as I for one will be making a similar choice in a month or so, like @JNeve and others on here I’m sure…all the best…

Userlevel 7
Badge

Just for comparison:

Userlevel 1

*edited by moderator*

This is my current Tariff.

Well, my day rate with OVO is 56p per day 

day rate is 29p per kw

off peak is 23p per kw

£166 per month but the last three months I’ve been over £300 per month. 

I’m on economy 10 for Dimplex Quantum storage heaters that my local authority fitted in place of gas. 

I’m going to see what Octopus can offer, they don’t do economy 10 just economy 7 but it can’t be any worse than what I’m paying now. No one can tell me what these heaters should be on, 7 or 10. British Gas offers 9.9p per kw but I need a heating hub which I would have to pay near £200 for.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Some “good” (less bad!) Ecotricity daily SC rates from @Firedog in certain parts of the country. Definitely worth emphasising location, location, location!