Solved

Finding current OVO tariffs and plans from the online account?

• 14 September 2022
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 1

When I'm logged on to myAccount, I can't seem to find any links to show me the currently available tariffs and plans (like the information I received when I had to renew). Am I missing something?

The lack of a search facility from myAccount doesn't help either (or is that something else I've missed)?

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 15 September 2022, 11:37

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @HexhamUser ,

As far as I’m aware, that information currently only shows up in MyOVO when you’re eligible to renew your Plan near the end of your contract. If you’re on Simpler Energy however, the options will always show up at all times under normal circumstances.

This type of account very, very rarely has search features, but you’d definitely be welcome to suggest one

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

In normal circumstances if you are on the Simpler Energy plan, you should be able to see available fixed tariff on this page on the website 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/renewal

Unfortunately there are no tariff available due to the current energy crisis. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the replies. I've just started a 2-year fixed plan, but I'd really like to see what other options might be available to me, so I could compare if my usage pattern changes (as seems likely). I just don't understand why, as an existing customer, OVO can't give me this information. Instead, I have to pretend I'm a prospective new customer, to try to find out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for the replies. I've just started a 2-year fixed plan, but I'd really like to see what other options might be available to me, so I could compare if my usage pattern changes (as seems likely). I just don't understand why, as an existing customer, OVO can't give me this information. Instead, I have to pretend I'm a prospective new customer, to try to find out.

That is a fair question. I don't work for ovo. 

There are currently no fixed tariff available from ovo for new or existing customers. All the offers were removed by OVO when prices spiked recently.

The only tariff left is the Simpler energy tariff, which from 1st Oct will be priced as per the government Energy Price Guarantee. We may not in the extreme see any new fixed price tariff for 2 years now. So pretending to be a new customer won't make any difference. 

Vote on this idea to see tariffs on line in the future

Userlevel 7

Updated on 18/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Hey @HexhamUser,

Thank you for that great question. 

Great to see our community members giving you some tip-top advice here.

We’ve got some great news! We’ve recently re-opened up our Fixed tariffs to everyone on the market. You can find out all about our available tariffs here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/home-energy-plans.

Take a browse through and see what’ll work for you.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@HexhamUser if you'd like to see what the Energy Price Guarantee cost will be, there is a calculator on this page.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/what-are-the-price-cap-unit-rates-/#tool

You need to enter your kWh for gas and electric and your Region. The rates vary by region. 

This only works for dual fuel, direct debit customers

It is very unlikely the OVO Simpler Tariff will be much different to this. I doubt any supplier will offer anything materially different to the government price guarantee. 

Userlevel 1

Thanks again for the replies. I signed up with OVO for a new 2-year fixed plan in August, so I guess it is a case of just waiting to see what is actually going to happen about that.

It would have been useful to get that information about the removal of fixed plans from MyAccount. I’ve added my vote to the “Self Service” vote.

That moneysaving expert link isn’t really much use I’m afraid. I’m not dual-fuel (but you can enter 0 for gas), I’m a heavy user of off-peak (which it doesn’t account for), but in these uncertain times getting accurate information is understandably absent. 

Badge +1

As the Government hasn’t finalised the fine details of its EPG, suppliers cannot finalise their forward-looking tariffs.  I doubt that there will be fixed price deals for many months to come as the EPG rates will be in place for 2 years and it is unlikely that fixed rates will fall below the EPG rates for a very long time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks again for the replies. I signed up with OVO for a new 2-year fixed plan in August, so I guess it is a case of just waiting to see what is actually going to happen about that.

It would have been useful to get that information about the removal of fixed plans from MyAccount. I’ve added my vote to the “Self Service” vote.

That moneysaving expert link isn’t really much use I’m afraid. I’m not dual-fuel (but you can enter 0 for gas), I’m a heavy user of off-peak (which it doesn’t account for), but in these uncertain times getting accurate information is understandably absent. 

We are starting to see suppliers publish all their updated rates

Here are the rates from British Gas for example. 

You can enter your postcode and see their standard variable E7 rates with the Energy Guarantee.

NOTE. Suppliers have flexibility in how they split the discount between peak and off peak. So the OVO split may be different. But it will give you a real example

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/GetAQuote/tariff-information/tariffs/standard-variable/tariff-rates

Once everyone publishes their rates it would be worth checking who is cheapest based on your split of peak and off peak electricity. 

It is difficult to switch at the moment, so it does depend on this changing. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@HexhamUser

Here is another example of E7 rates under the Guarantee

This time from EDF. Just to say again that OVO may split the discount differently between peak and off peak. 

https://www.edfenergy.com/sites/default/files/government_energy_price_guarantee_prices._standard_variable_deemed_and_welcome._credit_meters.pdf

Very basic question here - I’ve recently been switched to the default plan for existing OVO customers - “Simpler Energy” , I think.

Is there any cheaper option than this? And what are the t’s and c’s on any cheaper plan - smart meter, maybe?

TIA

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @Saint Maybe ,

I’m Blastoise186, one of the forum volunteers here.

I’ll be honest… Chances are the answer is no, there’s unlikely to be anything cheaper right now. Simpler Energy falls in-scope of the Energy Price Guarantee and OVO isn’t offering any fixed rate deals until things change, so you’re already on the best rates OVO can offer. Given that the entire market is now just one giant flat rate, it’s unlikely you’ll find a cheaper deal elsewhere either.

Thanks very much. That was my expectation, good to have it confirmed. Have a good day

I just move in a property. I would like to know, can I not apply for the monthly fee plan. Can you count how much energy I use each month, then l pay the money?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Yokochan and welcome to this customer forum. 
I’m not sure if you’ve already signed up to a tariff from what you’ve said. There are several available but some are more expensive than others based on a variety of things including payment options. You can look at a few here

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/energy-tariffs-explained

Thank you for your help.