Solved

Excessive bill taken from our account?

• 7 March 2024
  • 5 replies

I live in a small converted building of just four flats; we each have our own metres and bills. We share costs of a  fifth metre for our communal hall, (we only use hall electric lighting occasionally and have a Chair lift plugged in. No other electrics nor gas) We are on a standing order and bills are aprox £80-£120 per quarter. This month over £3,770 has been swiped out of our account!!!! Without reason! We are all pensioners; aged 65-92 and we’re desperate to know why!

We feel absolutely violated! We have to make do on pensions and the funds in our account were for our building insurance due next month which will be in excess of £3,000 Just reaching out for help! We are NOT in arrears! 

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 15 March 2024, 11:44

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Noorie5 , that sounds strange. 
If your bills are paid by standing order then surely it’s only those amounts that are authorised and paid. 
How would the other amount be taken?

We’re clearly not alone in this! The Telegraph ran a story yesterday. We did get a refund, our actual bill was £199 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Noorie5,

Sorry for the issues you’re having, 

When you say taken from your account do you mean you had a bill for this amount? If so, this is likely down to an out of line meter reading being submitted and can easily be resolved. If you don’t submit meter readings yourselves it might have been a meter reader who made an error. 

Are you able to take a screenshot of the meter readings page on the Online Account? We should be able to see what caused a spike on the bill. 

As a direct debit would be a set amount each month, if it was going to increase you’d have received a number of communications beforehand and be advised that your account was in a large arrears. So I’m assuming you’re referring to a large statement? I’ve not heard of a direct debit increasing so significantly. Also, a standing order payment would be set the same each month. 

Hope this helps. 

Thanks everyone. It’s been resolved and money refunded. 

Userlevel 6

Hey @Noorie5 

Really glad to hear that, thanks for the update.😊