Solved

Eligible for help with bills if you have someone in the household who needs to use a medical device overnight?

• 28 September 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi All, 

Random question, does anyone know if you are eligible for help with bills if you have someone in the household who needs to use a medical device overnight (that needs to be plugged in the whole time). 

Worried my bills are going to skyrocket when the equipment is in use

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 28 September 2023, 16:26

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Bevmannion ,

Yup. Firstly, make sure to be on the Priority Services Register. It’s really important in a case like this one! https://www.ovoenergy.com/register-for-priority-services

I believe the WInter Support Package is also coming back. Come back soon for details on that one!

I’ll ask the forum moderators to stop by as well. Please bear with me.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Bevmannion,

Blastoise has given some great advice here, just wanted to add the following:

Charities and organizations that offer advice and support:

Citizens Advice

Visit your local branch, or their websites: for England and Wales and for Scotland. You can speak to an adviser online, in person, or over the phone: 0800 144 8848 (England), 0800 702 2020 (Wales), and 0800 028 1456 (Scotland). 

National Debtline

Call 0808 808 4000 or visit their website.

Step Change Debt Charity

Call 0800 138 1111 or visit their website

Other support available for customers who may be struggling with their bills:

Fuel Direct Scheme

The Fuel Direct scheme helps to pay your energy bills directly from your benefits (the scheme is run by the Department for Work and Pensions). 

Cold Weather Payment

A Cold Weather Payment might be available to you, if you’re getting certain benefits. These payments are made if the temperature in your area is forecasted or recorded to be 0C or below for over 7 days in a row. See if you’re eligible and find out more here.

Winter Fuel Payment

This is available to people who were born on or before 26 September 1955. It’s an annual one-off payment between £100 and £300, to help pay for your heating over the winter. Find out more about the Winter Fuel Payment here

Warm Home Discount Scheme

You might be eligible for £140 credit towards your energy bills through the Warm Home Discount Scheme. If you’re in England or Wales you don’t need to apply. We've now closed the Scottish broader group applications for 2022/23. Information about next year’s scheme will be available soon. Find out more about the Warm Home Discount via the GOV website here.

Customer support package and where to apply

What to do if I can’t afford my energy bills? 

Many thanks for the replies, we aren't on any benefits so will we qualify for any of the aforementioned schemes? 

Many thanks in advance 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’d have a chat with CAB in that case - you might qualify for some benefits.

Userlevel 7
Badge

In addition to the other responses you’ve had, I’d suggest talking to your local council. They will have received government funding to help people weather the energy storm, but it varies enormously how they’ve chosen to do this. You may be lucky, even though you’re not on their benefits system.