Solved

Does the Direct Debit contract calculation take into account any credit on my account?

Show first post

36 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @JANI1926,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

The direct debit is an average for the year, so you’d expect to pay more during the summer months so that the extra credit carries you through the winter months. Here are some great guides we have which give more information about this topic:

If you still think you’re paying too much, you can reduce your direct debit to the recommended amount on your Online Account or request a refund. 

You can request a refund on your online account. Or you could just pay what you’ve used and stop the credit building up. 

If you’re on the Simpler Variable tariff it’s worth bearing in mind your prices will be increasing. Find out more about the Energy Price Guarantee here

Hope this helps. 

I’m £871 in credit, Ovo want to increase my DD from £350 to £472 per month. 

I have done a rough calculation and it shows we are unlikely to use all the credit balance up until 1st April next year. 

We have recently reduced our useage by being more careful and are one less person in the house since mid September. 

Just managed to have a conversation on whatsapp with a real human being and I’m now on the exemption from contact list for 3 months.  No more hassle to increase for the next 3 months.  Worth a try if anyone is struggling to see the justification for the increases. 

I’m £871 in credit, Ovo want to increase my DD from £350 to £472 per month. 

I have done a rough calculation and it shows we are unlikely to use all the credit balance up until 1st April next year. 

We have recently reduced our useage by being more careful and are one less person in the house since mid September. 

Just managed to have a conversation on whatsapp with a real human being and I’m now on the exemption from contact list for 3 months.  No more hassle to increase for the next 3 months.  Worth a try if anyone is struggling to see the justification for the increases. 

Appreciate this as I’m £633 in credit (that’s before they even amend the price to match the govt cap) been unable to speak to anyone and waiting for a reply from a human on WhatsApp.. several hours and counting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Do keep sending in meter readings (unless you have a smart meter of course) especially if you’ve made changes to your usual use pattern, then the OVO system won’t estimate.

Userlevel 7

Hey @smillar- keep us posted! 

The reply from OVO is unbelievable. Basically saying that they are ignoring the Govt Price cap - which is there to benefit everyone - and their promise on their web page/app that they’d apply the cap to all accounts and no need to contact them is incorrect.

I don’t think that have a strategy or a process at all and are reliant on customers contacting them.

I now need to call them as they closed the WhatsApp after I didn’t reply after 5 mins. 

“I can do this for you how much would you like refunding, also in regard to your tariff because you had agreed a fixed tariff before the price cap this is why the prices are higher, we can cancel your fixed tariff and put you onto the variable tariff if you would prefer”

So a wee update after calling them.

Refund - sorted 

Energy cap - girl I spoke to was unable to make the changes to my account to ensure I benefit from the price cap. It’s been passed to their account team but there’s no timescale for them to work towards but she did say it would be backdated.

I’ll diarise for 2 weeks and call them back as don’t have much confidence that anything will change. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You said previously that your smart meter showed a rate of 54p. Is that the rate you see on your Plan viewed on your online account? If it is you will be moved to the Government rate automatically. You don’t need to contact OVO, just wait. There are thousands of customers and they can’t all be done at the same time !!! 

You said previously that your smart meter showed a rate of 54p. Is that the rate you see on your Plan viewed on your online account? If it is you will be moved to the Government rate automatically. You don’t need to contact OVO, just wait. There are thousands of customers and they can’t all be done at the same time !!! 

It is the rate that I have on my plan via my online account.

The person I spoke to was quite clear, and it backed up the WhatsApp message, that there would be no automatic change to a lower tariff.

Disagree with your last point as there’s such a thing as identification and bulk batch processing, but let’s not go there.

I urge anyone in the same position to take matters into their own hands and speak to OVO. 

Badge +1

@smillar 

Under the EPG your fixed electricity price should come down by 17p (17.85p VAT incl) to a lower figure.  That is law.  The average (but who is average) price under the EPG is 34p per unit but it is regional and ranges between 33p and 36p (all pre VAT).  OVO will probably make arrangements to take your unit price down to the EPG floor (same as the variable rate unit prices) but standing charges are not covered by the EPG and whether they are retained or changed seems up for grabs.

What region are you in.?  Your advisor gave you duff information and I would make a formal complaint.  They can listen back on the call and apologise. Meanwhile @juliamc ‘s advice is spot on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As is your own @meldrewreborn . You have been rewarded with a rank up as a result.

Carbon Catcher doesn’t come with any special permissions, but your name now stands out in the same way that ours do. Keep this up and more good things will happen!