Tutorial

Direct Debits - What do I need to know?

Direct Debits - What do I need to know?

Show first post

119 replies

I have been paying £62 via direct debit since I joined OVO in April 2023 but my usage has been around £20-30 monthly. However, the amount I am in credit is around £7 which doesn’t make sense. Where is the money going that I have paid?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @bee91 ,

The best place to check would be via https://my.ovoenergy.com .

Userlevel 6

Hey @bee91 

Have you managed to go through the link Blastoise sent? It should allow you to view your charges on online and what they’ve been for.

The topic below may also be helpful for you to understand the charges on your bills:

Hi there,

On the 25/08/23 I changed my Direct Debit date to the 1st of the month but it still hasn’t left my bank account. I phoned OVO this afternoon and the advisor was adamant that they did indeed receive the payment and it was showing as definitely been paid on his end, I was so confused so I phoned my bank and they said that OVO haven’t attempted to take a payment for this at all and the last requested Direct Debit was my old date which was the 03/08/23.

What should I do?

Kind Regards. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’d say check MyOVO and see if the payment shows there.

If it doesn’t, do a manual payment to catch up on what you were meant to pay.

Hey Blastoise186, thank you for the rapid reply!

I can’t access MyOVO unfortunately as the website is still being renewed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ahh ok… That’ll be fixed soon!

In the meantime, try making a payment via phone using the automated system. 0330 303 5063.

I may try that cheers, only thing is I don’t want to be charged twice. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Don’t worry if you end up paying twice - the extra payment just becomes a credit on the account.

I’ll phone them tomorrow and see what they advise me to do. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Davie,

Thanks for your question,

I believe the bank needs 10 working days notice of a direct debit change. So I imagine this months payment hasn’t come out for that reason but next months will.

You can, as Blastoise suggested make a manual payment in the meantime. Check out our website for ways to pay.

I am on the Simpler Energy plan (electricity only) and pay by Direct Debit. Given the drop in unit price on 1 April and using Ovo's own figures for my predicted annual consumption for the 12 months up to 31 March 2025, my future Direct Debit payments should be nearly 25% lower than the current ones. Despite this, the online Direct Debit calculator will not allow me to reduce my  monthly payment amount. I am already the equivalent of one monthly payment in credit and it was my understanding that customer accounts should be more or less at zero on 31 March each year. I should not be forced to pay 25% more for my electricity usage, so how can I reduce my monthly Direct Debit payments to reflect my predicted annual consumption? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Ovolteeny ,

You can do this a different way if needed. Get in touch with Support and they can bypass the limit.

https://ovoenergy.com/help 

I'll try that, thanks.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Ovolteeny 

Glad to see Blastoise186 has already left some really helpful advice here, as the collections team should be able to help you out with this.

We’ve also got some other topics on similar things that may be helpful:

Hope this has been helpful, let us know if you have any issues or other questions.🙂

I will soon be paying for both my Gas and Electricity through credit on OvO. My question is do I have to set up two direct debits, one for each utility, or will they be combined into one? Oh and I have a smart meter!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Welcome back @NotQuiteAlice ,

OVO runs Direct Debits a bit differently from most suppliers - both Gas and Electric are merged into a single combined DD for both fuels and your account balance runs as a shared wallet - whichever one needs the funds gets it automatically. A Smart Meter is not required unless your tariff mandates it - but having one does make it much easier to get the bills right.

If you’d like a Smart Meter though (mostly for anyone else reading this!), check out https://smart-booking.ovoenergy.com once your account is all set up. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I will soon be paying for both my Gas and Electricity through credit on OvO. My question is do I have to set up two direct debits, one for each utility, or will they be combined into one? Oh and I have a smart meter!

As has been mentioned, there will be a single direct debit for the combined account. 
If you already have a smart meter, it may take a little time to begin supplying readings as they need to ‘sync’ to begin with. 

Userlevel 4

Hi @NotQuiteAlice,

It looks like you are in the good hands of our volunteers. I just wanted to share this really handy information page that explains how our Direct Debit system works to give you more context. 

You are always welcome to ask questions and learn more about your account. We have an amazing community of volunteers here 😊