Tutorial

Direct Debits - What do I need to know?

Direct Debits - What do I need to know?

Show first post

119 replies

I will be “punished “ for not allowing OVO to just take whatever they like. I’m a poor pensioner . Thanks very much. I will write to my M.P. quoting this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid disputes with OVO are out-of-scope for your M.P. You are of course, welcome to contact them anyway if you wish, but don’t be surprised if they reject the complaint and bounce it back unanswered.

As I’m an independent forum volunteer, anything I post here is likewise out of scope for an M.P. to deal with. If you’re trying to get them to deal with me, I’m afraid that won’t work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It’s not punishment @Will Not Be Moved it just a fact that direct debits are cheaper for the company to process and that’s reflected in the lower tariff.

Thanks @juliamc. I note @Blastoise186  has now removed the word “punished”. It’s still in the email though. Energy providers “punishing” vulnerable customers not a good look.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Will Not Be Moved, thanks for sharing this experience. 

I do agree with the advice above. Direct Debit customers are cheaper for energy suppliers who pass this on via the tariffs offered. Direct Debit recommendations are based on predicted usage and aim to keep you out of debt, either by your contract end date, or for a 12 month rolling period if on the variable plan, Simpler. Would you agree, all of that is pretty reasonable? If it works correctly, everyone’s happy. If you feel there’s a bad Direct Debit prediction, why not have a conversation with our Collections team who are more than happy to help out with Direct Debit review pauses and payment arrangements: 0800 0699 831.

More info on our Direct Debit process here:

We also have a page dedicated to ways to get support and advice around paying for your energy here

tried setting up a direct debt but keeps refusing why  

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

What happens when you tried the dd @daisydog09 ? 

Userlevel 7

Hey @daisydog09,

Sorry for the issues you’re having

There’s only two ways to set up a direct debit with OVO and that’s over the phone or by filling out the direct debit mandate form and sending it back to us.

Can you provide us with a bit more information about how you’ve been trying to set one up and any error messages you’re getting? Or is it just cancelled with the bank?

Hopefully we can help you get to the bottom of this 🙂

Hi tried setting up D/D on line but when it says put amount in 

it comes back with put a number in between 0.00 and 0.00

Thanks 

Hi everyone

I live in a housing association bungalow, 65 years old with medical conditions.  Now my boiler broke last tuesday, engineer coming again third time to complete the fault.   So I am not using the gas but my electric has gone up.  Now my question is I know I can pay a extra amount into my account online but should I speak to someone to let them know that this is a emergency and in the coming weeks I will be back to my normal usage.  Hope that makes sense.  Any comments.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @KazzaS ,

Oh no! That’s not good! Hope it gets fixed soon.

As for your question, I see what you mean. Definitely feel free to pay extra into your OVO account if you’d like to, but don’t worry about letting OVO know. The system is designed to cope with small peaks and troughs like this so you should be good. It’ll sort itself out later once your usage goes back to normal.

Stay safe for now!

Oh, and did you get one of the free electric throws OVO are giving away? I’ve got one and it’s really nice. If you’re up for one, check out https://ovoenergy.com/winter-support-delivery/sign-up .

no I haven't received one of the electric throws which they were giving away even though I am on the priority register.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. You should qualify for one but you need to request it. That link should take you to the right form, but you can also call 0330 303 5063 if you’d rather do it over the phone.

Delivery may take a couple of weeks in some cases.

I’ve accidentally cancelled my direct debit and I want to set it up again 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Gail Belmont ,

Whoops! Don’t panic, there’s a quick fix for this. OVO will be in touch soon, most likely by email. You’ll get instructions as to how to set up the DD again. Simply follow those and it’ll all be back to normal.

Make sure to be careful with your bank in future! :)

Thank you. You’ve put my mind at rest now. 

Can I use my credit card to set up direct debit?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @billwong unfortunately no company, including OVO, can setup a direct debit with a credit card. 

I initially set up my direct debit to £82 and I moved in to the property last April 20.

April 28 the £82 was deducted. 

What if I did not reached the amount for my monthly bill, what will happen to the excess of my £82?

Thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @yam and welcome to this customer forum. 
The general idea of the monthly charge is that is evens out over the year so for some (like now) you will have a credit in your account which will help to even out your costs later in the year when your usage will presumably be higher

Userlevel 1

Don't worry, your money is safe. Whatever isn't spent each month will accumulate as credit in your account, ready for when your bills are bigger than your monthly direct debit. 

Thank You @Topsy and @BPLightlog for the information 🙂

I have recently transfered my electricty to you you said my direct debit would come out on 27th of last month but it has not yet come out and I go to my online account and its telling me to set up a direct debit 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Keithsters and welcome to this customer forum. This isn’t a direct line to OVO unfortunately so you will need to get in touch with customer support 

Customer Support  -  tel:03303035063

Webchat  -https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

Userlevel 7

Hi @Keithsters, you should have the option to set up the Direct Debit yourself via your online account. Use this URL: https://account.ovoenergy.com/payments/direct-debit/setup

Can you access that once logged in?