Tutorial

Direct Debits - What do I need to know?

Direct Debits - What do I need to know?

Show first post

119 replies

Userlevel 3

@peterh I'd say contact OVO. If your usage is changing continuously then this may be the underlying issue with your Direct Debits. I had a similar issue where my annual gas usage was incorrect which increased my direct debits. I to, waswith EE and they had my had usage incorrectly recorded which had then been transferred over to OVO

If you don't have a smart meter then make sure you have a meter reading handy when you call. 

Hi Ovo Team, I have exactly the same request as Peter above. I am predicted to go over my predicted usage but would like the direct debit to remain as it is, and if I do go over my direct debit about, to then pay it as a lump sum at the end of the contract. It is also likely that this amount will be balance out by reduced usage in the warmer months. Please advise.

Userlevel 2

I have increased my DD from 93 to 111 and now to 120 Oct now ask me to increase it to 130.My last bill I was in credit 100 now I am in debt.Surly that is not correct

Hi Ovo Team, I have exactly the same request as Peter above. I am predicted to go over my predicted usage but would like the direct debit to remain as it is, and if I do go over my direct debit about, to then pay it as a lump sum at the end of the contract. It is also likely that this amount will be balance out by reduced usage in the warmer months. Please advise.

My expected usage is £1,158 which equals £97 per month so why am I being asked to increase my direct debit to £113 and why can’t I choose any other amount than that?

Userlevel 6

Without being able to look into your account it’s difficult for us to say, @Derek Higgs, please reach out to our team. 

You can send us a message on FacebookTwitter and our Help Centre has online chat, or give them a call. You can reach our team on: 0330 303 5063. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this helps! 

Userlevel 6

I’ve moved your posts here, @peterh, @MarinaC, @pollyhallett the above thread holds a host of info regarding Direct Debits.

Great advice, @SR3!

OVE have taken the “first payment” but I’ve only just paid my previous supplier

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

When you signed up, OVO would have told you the Ts & Cs which presumably said what the payments would be and when the first would be taken.  Your billing will be based on usage so you won’t lose out.

That's all very well but I prefer the money in my bank - not OVO

Userlevel 7
Badge

@barry6947 

Completely agree this may have popped up out of nowhere but as @PeterR1947 mentioned. Within the Ts & Cs it would mention when the payments would be and when the first would be taken. We are only OVO customers ourselves, but maybe an OVO member may be able to assist you.

Userlevel 6

I’ve moved your post here, @barry6947, you’ll find handy info in the topic and above thread. 

Thanks! 

why hasn't my direct debit reduced now that summer is here 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Good question @pizzard ! And welcome to the Forum.

The Direct Debit is set by estimating the annual spend and dividing this by eleven. This matches Ofgem’s guidelines that

• the account should be in credit to an amount roughly equal to the next Statement
  • the Energy Supplier may not permit an account to operate below this threshold because that constrains the customer from switching to another Supplier if they chose to do so

There is a page on the main OVO site which allows you to follow through the DD calculation.

Over the past few months I’ve been asked twice to increase my DD payment and I’ve followed the advice and increased to the suggested amount. But yet again I’m being asked to increase further. And I know that if I follow your advice it’ll happen again. 
my account is in credit and with summer coming that credit will build further. 
my question then is why your predictions keep changing. 
I’m leaving it as it is. 

Userlevel 5

Have we emailed or text you asking you to increase the payment, @PeteSkinner? If not and you’re just looking at the recommended Direct Debit graph then this will change daily depending on where you are in the billing cycle. 

Your calculations for DD payments are way out! 

Last year you " calculated " I needed to increase by £24  a month. I changed that increase to £10 a month and now I am still 2 months worth of payments in credit!! This is with my partner WFH as well.

This latest increase calculated another £29 a month, guess what, your app won't " allow" me to control what you take from MY bank account by reducing your " suggestion ".

Easy solution- DD cancelled at the bank and you can bill me monthly,  which I will happily pay. 

I gave you the benefit of the doubt last year but you have abused that trust and I have taken back control of MY bank account from a company with questionable accounting calculations. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Kilo5 ,

I’m Blastoise186, an OVO member and one of the forum volunteers on the OVO Forum. Just so you’re aware, I don’t work for OVO myself and cannot access your account.

If you’re on a fixed rate deal, you need to keep the Direct Debit active as cancelling it without telling OVO first may result in you being moved onto the variable rate Simpler Energy tariff. OVO may also charge you an admin fee as well at their discretion.

It is also worth noting that regardless of your Direct Debit amounts, you’ll only ever actually be charged for the energy you actually use and you do have the option to ask the Support Team to force your payments down below the recommended amount. The only reason you can’t do this on your own is as a safety measure, so that you don’t accidentally get into debt. While you might be in credit right now, OVO’s billing platform is designed to make suggestions that will keep you in credit at the end of your contract, so that you end the year with a balance above zero.

As you’ve cancelled your payments, OVO will contact you to reinstate them. Please discuss the matter with them when they reach out, as I can only provide general advice.

Thanks for the prompt reply, one thing that says a lot about this company is that they rely on volunteers to respond to a forum and don't or won't employ staff for customer service? Not very customer centric is it? 

I have moved to a variable plan as the " recommended " plans were just ridiculous. As for OVO " looking out " for me, sorry I don't buy it. I have always been in credit since I joined and am certainly old enough and ugly enough to look after my own finances.

These " schemes " and plans are always in the company's favour and I have had enough of it. They can bill me and I will gladly pay but I'm not giving them free uncontrolled access to my account. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This forum doesn’t replace the existing contact options, instead, it’s an additional option to get general help and advice from other members like myself. No-one here can access your account or make any changes, and no-one here (other than the moderators) gets paid for our time, which is what sets us apart from the Support Team.

While we can’t help with account specific issues here, we are able to offer advice on quite a lot of topics, some of which can save you having to contact the Support Team. If there’s ever a question that I feel I can’t help with, I’ll always let you know in the thread, as I’ve done many times.

As for your other points, I’ll ask @Tim_OVO and @Jess_OVO to stop by when they’re back in the morning.

Why does it have to be DD, don't they trust adults to pay by Standing Order? 

Strange how all these schemes always favour the companies isn't it? 

Why do we have to give strangers free access to our bank account? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Standing Orders don’t come with the same customer protections as Direct Debits do. The Direct Debit Guarantee scheme for example, bans merchants from just helping themselves to your cash without a valid reason and allows you to claw back unauthorised payments. Direct Debits also enable refunds to be paid back to you via BACS and GBC, which isn’t possible with a Standing Order because there’s no account link to send the refund to automatically.

The Direct Debit Guarantee also means that you have to be notified of any changes to the payment frequency, date or amount at least 10 days in advance of it happening, unless you request the changes yourself.

It’s not free access as it’s also highly regulated. It just happens to be the most reliable way of paying bills in the UK.

On the other hand, Standing Orders merely blindly fling cash at the target with no checks in place to make sure it’s actually going to the intended recipient and can be harder for the recipient to verify. If you enter even a single digit wrong, your money could end up in a random bank account and you might never see it again. Also, if you leave the company and forget to cancel the SO, you’ll have a hard time getting your money back. A Direct Debit would simply terminate in these cases and you’d be free to cancel it with the bank to fully close it out.

Two direct debt took out 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Jbingham52 ,

I’m not sure what you mean, could you clarify your question for us please?

thanks

I have stopped my direct debit payments because I am sure far too much is being taken based on an estimate which is totally nuts. I would rather pay the neccessary amount to cover use monthly by  debit card online. I am already hundreds of pounds in credit and I am a  pensioner and very low energy consumer. Not only that but the £66 monthly help from the government will almost cover my usage by itself.

Anyone else done this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s ultimately your choice to do that, but you will be hit with higher energy bills by doing so. Paying On-Demand costs an average £200 a year more than by Direct Debit, which remains the cheapest way to pay.

If the estimates look wrong, it’s probably because you’ve not submitted meter readings for a long time. It’s strongly recommended to submit regularly, otherwise your bills WILL be wrong regardless of how you pay.