Deemed Export calculation as from 1st April 2023.

• 25 August 2023
  • 4 replies

Hi Tim,

Having received a new notification recently from OVO regarding payments for my Solar Generation, they have failed to calculate the amounts correctly. The Units accumulated were advised on 14th June 23 as requested. The Feed in Rates changed on 1st April from 18.66/pkw  and 5.99/pkw for Deemed Export.  Unfortunately, they failed to advise the new rate for the Deemed Export in their calculations. 
I have tried to discover the new rate on the Ofgem Website but this is not straightforward, it depends on when your system was installed andtheir graph is confusing.

I have sent emails to Ofgem but they don’t seem to understand about the Deemed Export calculation and suspect it has not been included in their new computer system from the SSE changeover. 
Without this information I cannot check to see if or how they have calculated the intended payment.  
There would have to be four calculations in total, two from before 1st April

and two from 1st April up to 14th June. 
They should know the Deemed Export is 50% of the accumulated units for the period, but without stating the Rate I don’t know if they are paying at the correct rate.

would appreciate your advice.

Many thanks. 

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Raymek , the deemed export values are on a separate tab on the Ofgem data table 

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2023-01/FIT%20Rates%20RPI%20Update%2023-24.xlsx

It would be helpful for those to be included of course and you need to know how the numbers are split if your figures span the 1st April date

Thank you for your kind reply BP Lightlog.

My installation took place in Feb 2014. Can I assume from your graph above, the the PV rate for Deemed Export is the 6.79 from 1st August 2012 mentioned, to the present day added to each year by the rate of inflation?

I know what the rate was last year from previous advices from SSE, but OVO have not stated the rate for Deemed Export this year at all in their advice and have not stated the number of units they have used before or after the 1st April for the calculations. 
I have queried this with them but they do not appear to understand or answer my emails except to say they are receiving a large number of correspondence.

May I ask what you think the rate should be? 
many thanks,

Raymek

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thank you for your kind reply BP Lightlog.

My installation took place in Feb 2014. Can I assume from your graph above, the the PV rate for Deemed Export is the 6.79 from 1st August 2012 mentioned, to the present day added to each year by the rate of inflation?

It sounds like it, but it does depend on the installation type and date, hence my question.  The details are from the Ofgem site and it is they who set the rates. 

I know what the rate was last year from previous advices from SSE, but OVO have not stated the rate for Deemed Export this year at all in their advice and have not stated the number of units they have used before or after the 1st April for the calculations. 

They should let you know - I think the general calculation is to take the generated value and work on a percentage by date before and after 1st and being deemed, a 50% multiplier is then put on. 

I have queried this with them but they do not appear to understand or answer my emails except to say they are receiving a large number of correspondence.

Emails are not their preferred contact method but the FIT team should be contactable via the customer support number and option 4

Thanks BP Lightlog,

I have called OVO about this issue and whilst the operator was sympathetic, she has escalated this to someone else ‘who will get back to me’. 
I am concerned that, apparently, I was told, they rely entirely on calculations made by OFGEM.  That seems a bit odd to me. They do not seem to know how this is calculated.  Previously, SSE were able to work this out for themselves and send the correct amount of payment.

However, the kind lady has given me a reference number and ‘escalated’ it to another department who will get back to me.

I wait in hope and trust. 🤷‍♂️

Raymek