Solved

De-energised meter in new build flat?

• 16 February 2024
  • 5 replies

I recently moved into a newly built property. I was told my electricity supplier is OVO so I contacted them to set up an account and direct debit.

2 months later and I’m still unable to get into my online account, and they’re saying it’s because my meter is de-energised! This can’t be the case as the electricity supply is working fine!

What is even more frustrating is that my bill that I got by email says £0 in charges when they’ve been taking £25 direct debit each month!

Any ideas on how to sort this out?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 19 February 2024, 11:39

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @tamarapress100 , a first thing might be to check who is registered as your supplier 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/moving-home-your-energy-supply/find-out-who-your-gas-or-electricity-supplier-is/

After that, you can check the meter details against those on your bill (Meter serial number and MPAN)

Hi @BPLightlog, I’ve tried this but unfortunately my address doesn’t come up, I guess because it’s a new build property.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Depending on which part of the country you’re in, your DNO should be able to confirm who your supplier is. 
https://www.energynetworks.org/customers/find-my-network-operator

If you can, check your meter details with OVO to see if they have the correct information. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @tamarapress100,

I’m sorry for the issues you’ve been having,

The following information about OVO’s processes may be helpful:

What does de-energising mean?

'Energisation' and 'de-energisation' generally refers to electricity supplies, whereas gas supplies can be described as 'live', 'capped' or 'dead'.

OVO should not take over any supplies that are de-energised - the other supplier should re-energise first (and get the national database updated).

• To de-energise a property means to remove the main fuse on the cut out, therefore stopping the flow of electricity to the meter and property.
  • To re-energise is to reinstall the main fuse on the cut out, enabling power to pass through the meter to the property.

Energy suppliers, Revenue Protection Services (RPS) teams and Distribution Network Operators (DNOs) are able to de-energise and re-energise supplies, but electricians are not allowed to do this - they can only turn off the supply after the meter.

Re-energisation if there is a supply issue

• Does a meter needs to be installed (OVO only install new meters on supplies that we already hold) or just re-energised.
  • We then book either a new meter install or re-energisation as an appointment
  • See the job price list for costs

If the Energisation status on the National Database (Ecoes) needs updating?

It sounds like this might be relevant to your individual situation.

We need to raise this to our internal metering team with the following information if you have it:

• Date on which the supply was de-energised or re-energised
  • Meter Serial Numbers of any meters removed, installed, or generally involved in the de-energisation or energisation.
  • Meter photo (if there is now a meter in your home)
  • Readings on any meters that have been removed, installed, or generally involved in the de-energisation or energisation.

I hope this helps. 

Hey @tamarapress100, just wondered if you managed to resolve this.. as I’ve been having the exact same problem for over 2 months now and can’t seem to get anything sorted with ovo.