Solved

Compensation for gas used to heat up water during unknown leak- Whose responsibility?

• 9 October 2023
  • 13 replies

Hi,

This might get long.

We recently discovered a huge underground water burst that apparently had been leaking for about half a year. Our water bill only comes twice a year so it wasn’t noticed quickly at all. We fixed it within 10 days of noticing it.
We had been having trouble with our gas meter readings. The smart meter stopped sending automatic readings, and when I attempted to put in manually, it kept saying “error” or that the number didn’t match with our previous reading. I called SSE (before the merge) and they also said it was abnormal but didn’t do anything to help solve. I called about once a month because I couldn’t submit a reading. I now know this is because of the water leak.

Our account shows that during those 6 months of big water leak, we used 100,000 or even 200,000 kWh of gas. This a huge amount that obviously wasn’t being actively used. Before and after the leak we were using maybe between 10,000-12,000.

Our gas balance shows over £4,000 for only 6 months. Again, this is very high and not anything near normal, especially since we were away for one month in summer.

My question is, will I be able to have the balance adjusted or some sort of allowance because the gas wasn’t being actively used and it was basically leaking out with the water leak?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by MCH59 14 October 2023, 01:24

View original

13 replies

Do you actually know that it was attributable to the water leak? Is that assumption or has that been checked and fixed in addition the the water leak being fixed?

If the water leak was on your side of the water meter, which it sounds like it was, then I suspect that any gas leakage attributable to damage caused by the water leak will be something that you and your insurers have to argue about amongst yourselves.

Userlevel 7

A very good point by @MCH59. @JanCan please ensure you have taken precautions to determine if there is a gas leak, and that it is no longer an issue:

Gas emergency

If you can smell gas or think you have a gas leak: 

• Do open doors and windows to let the gas escape
  • Do check your gas appliances are switched off
  • Do call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999
  • Do turn your gas off at the isolation switch (if you know where it is), then wait outside, and let your neighbours know.
  • Don't switch lights on or off, use doorbells, mobile phones or use any electrical switches.
  • Don't smoke, light a match or use any other kind of naked flame.
  • Don't go back into your home until you’ve got the all-clear.

If you're worried fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999. For further information about gas safety in the home check out our guide here

If your gas meter is faulty and causing high readings, you would not be expected to pay for the incorrect volume of gas usage being implied. More info here:

If on the other hand excessive gas usage has been caused from beyond the meter, it’s not something your energy supplier is responsible for managing or adjusting for. You may want to get support from Citizens Advice on your options with regards to insurance or compensation. 

Thanks for the replies.

@MCH59

Based on the timeline on our account showing the monthly gas usage, the absurdly high usage correlates directly to the timing of the water leak. As soon as the leak was fixed, the gas consumption went back to our average use. Our gas engineer, who was also the plumber fixing the leak, says that the size of the water leak we had would definitely cause the boiler to run nonstop trying to heat that water.

It just seems a bit unfair that we’d have to pay for that loss of gas and was hoping some sort of adjustment could be made if we had enough proof. So am I to take it that there’s no way for this to happen, even with enough proof of the situation?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Afraid not - the gas was used and wasn’t the result of a meter fault, so OVO has to cover the costs of supplying that and isn’t liable to issue a refund.

Your insurance company might cover it though - check your policy documents.

Thanks for the replies.

@MCH59

Based on the timeline on our account showing the monthly gas usage, the absurdly high usage correlates directly to the timing of the water leak. As soon as the leak was fixed, the gas consumption went back to our average use. Our gas engineer, who was also the plumber fixing the leak, says that the size of the water leak we had would definitely cause the boiler to run nonstop trying to heat that water.

It just seems a bit unfair that we’d have to pay for that loss of gas and was hoping some sort of adjustment could be made if we had enough proof. So am I to take it that there’s no way for this to happen, even with enough proof of the situation?here 

The gas usage is very real and the problem is beyond OVO’s control - and, by the sounds of it, the water leak was on your side of the meter and therefore your responsibility - so unless it is a rental property, the only option I see is for you to speak to your insurance about it … or, if it is a new build property, the builder / warranty provider if you feel there is a potential warranty claim.

Sorry.

We’re renting, so unfortunately no insurance coverage I don’t think. The landlord took care of everything regarding the burst water pipe, so no issues there.

I was just wondering if this type of situation would allow a balance readjustment, and I guess the answer is sadly, no. 

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can still get Contents Insurance if you rent - and that sometimes covers these situations. It may be worth considering as some of those policies also cover Tenant Liability - which is something that many tenants and landlords can mutually benefit from.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @JanCan

I agree with the feedback on other posts. 

The one thing I would add is that I think SSE and depending on timing, OVO, we're also potentially neglegent in not coming out to investigate the meter at some stage given the very high readings or giving you the good advice from @Tim_OVO in his post above about leaks etc. Obviously I don't know what SSE and OVO told you to do. Being negligent doesn't necessarily mean OVO are on the hook for the costs in full or in part, but what they said is very important in terms of safety. 

What did SSE and OVO advise you to do when you contacted them initially and monthly? Is any of this in writing or have you a record of when you called them in case the calls were recorded?

If you feel strongly about OVOs handling of the situation in particular you could put in a complaint. 

Clearly I don't know what they said to you, if you feel sse/ovo could have handled the situation better, and how they might respond, especially as others have highlighted it wasn't a problem with the meter. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Separately, as suggested by @Tim_OVO it would be interesting to see what Citizens Advice say about the situation. For example is the landlord in any way responsible as the cost of the gas is directly due to the water. I suspect it is complicated due to the timing and it will also depend on your current and future relationship with your landlord. 

We’re renting, so unfortunately no insurance coverage I don’t think. The landlord took care of everything regarding the burst water pipe, so no issues there.

Well, the fact that you rent may actually be VERY good news … which is why I added the “so unless it is a rental property” in my last reply..

If you are renting and the landlord took care of the repair, did they also pay for the repairs without quibbling or blaming you in any way? (ie it was a property defect and you didn’t cause the damage by putting a nail through a water pipe or anything like that).

If so, I would have thought that there is a very strong argument that your landlord should perhaps be helping you with the cost of the excess energy usage attributable to something that was the landlord’s responsibility (and for which they will be insured if they have any sense).

I strongly suggest you have a chat with Citizens Advice (BEFORE saying anything to your landlord) to find out how liability works in a situation like that; but my hunch is that the fact that you rent might very well work in your favour here, because my non-expert understanding is that the  Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 requires landlords to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling for the supply of water, gas, electricity, and sanitation.

If there is a thorny issue I suspect it will be about how long it should reasonably have taken you to spot and report the problem. Personally I only look at the water meter twice a year around billing time, but I don’t know whether or not that is a frequency that would be considered to be reasonable.

@MCH59 

thanks for this advice!

We do everything regarding house repairs and whatnot through the real estate agent, so we’ve never had direct contact with the landlord. I can’t say for sure that it was repaired without any complaints or anger against us, but as it was a pipe outside and underground, I assume they reasonably understood it was a property fault.

I will talk with Citizens Advice and see what they say! Thanks!

You are welcome. @JanCan. From what you have said, I actually think you have a solid claim against the landlord, so I hope it all works out 😉

@JanCan

For reference, this is the section of legislation that I think applies to your situation:  

Landlord and Tenant Act 1985, Section 11

It places an absolute and non-excludable obligation upon landlords in all short-lease tenancy agreements (ie less than 7 years and includes  both tenancies where the tenant has no fixed term agreement - but rents the property on a weekly or monthly basis - AND fixed term tenancies of less than 7 years).

@JanCan 

Please let us know what Citizens Advice tell you.