Skip to main content

In August this year I had a smart meter installed and moved from a THTC tariff to the single variable rate tariff. All this went well till the next bill when I’d gone from a balance of -£11 to a credit of £900! It transpires that OVO have changed all my historic bill charges to £0 and the credit of £900 is effectively the monthly direct debits I’ve paid since being moved from SSE to OVO.

Support had no idea when I previously phoned last month, other than a note on my account saying it was being investigated, and my attempt this week to get an update led to nothing, the support agent told me he couldn’t escalate it any further and there was no point raising a complaint as it wouldn’t help the process? It felt like the issue sits with the billing team so support were basically saying there’s nothing they can do and no-one they can contact for assistance. 

My issue is that I have no idea what my correct ongoing balance is and there seems to be no process to get any escalation or update as to when it’ll be resolved. This also locks me into OVO should I decide I’ve had enough! 

I’ve already had a successful complaint through the ombudsman process, but it looks like getting a complaint raised to give me a starting point has become a bit more difficult. 

Maybe I’ll suggest to them that I’ll put my direct debit on hold till they resolve my account balance.

Anyone offer any advice? This was a simple contract change that they’ve screwed up, it leaves me with little confidence they’ll resolve it quickly or properly! 

In August this year I had a smart meter installed and moved from a THTC tariff to the single variable rate tariff. 

This was a simple contract change …

Far from it, sadly. It’s an immensely complex process involving several different bits of the OVO empire and several outside bodies like the DNO, the guardians of the national databases and the data services. However hard they try, they all move at different speeds and it can take time for all the strands to be woven properly into the tapestry to create the finished article. 

I’ve already had a successful complaint through the ombudsman process ... 

That was quick, if the meter exchange only happened in August. You must be referring to an earlier unresolved complaint.

… I’ll put my direct debit on hold till they resolve my account balance.

Please don’t do that. It will throw a big spanner into the works; your tariff will change again (upwards!) and probably delay the process even more. Billing errors sometimes take a few weeks to resolve, but everything should come right eventually. Meanwhile, if your Direct Debit is reasonable - i.e. it isn’t less than one twelfth of your annual cost at current rates - leave it be to avoid surprises. If you’re sure it’s a lot more than that, you could ask for it to be reduced until all becomes clear. 

I’m sorry to have to say this, but you may want to consider submitting a formal, written complaint which starts a process giving you a dedicated case handler if your problem can’t easily be solved. This is the key to the Ombudsman service, as you’re apparently aware, once your complaint is eight weeks old.

Thanks, the earlier successful dispute was to move from THTC to a single meter tariff, this latest issue is where they've moved me to the new contract following the meter work. All the meter stuff is sorted, THTC metering and RTS kit removed, smart meter installed, it's all working, the meter config data has been updated in the OVO system. I know of lots of other customers who have gone through the same process in the last few months and they seamlessly moved to the new contract without any account balance issues. Email already sent after a chat with the ombudsman (again..). This is purely an OVO billing issue, purely internal and all of their own making - every CS agent I've spoken with has said 'that's odd, never seen that before' !

Hi @Infiltrator,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this. This is not the experience we’d want for our customers.

I can see our forum volunteer has already stopped by with some advice here.

As Firedog has mentioned, it may be worth raising a complaint in this case. Once this is escalated you’d then be assigned a case handler who should help get to the bottom of this for you. You’d need an open complaint for 8 weeks before being able to go to the ombudsman.

Here’s a link to our complaints process:

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

- every CS agent I've spoken with has said 'that's odd, never seen that before' !

That should tell you that yours is an exceptional situation, to which there is no solution squirrelled away to be pulled out and applied when it’s needed. If Billing are working on it, my own inclination would be to wait for them to finish the job. I might contact them once in a while to see whether any progress had been made, but otherwise do nothing. This is assuming, of course, that you’re satisfied that your Direct Debit is big enough.

It seems my whinging had worked, almost! 

I was pretty sure it wasn't a major issue, it just needed a little focused effort.

My balance has correctly dropped from £900 back to £25, only issue now is for some reason they've put me on domestic economy tariff since the smart meter install rather than the standard variable single tariff I was supposed to be on! I'll give them a call next week to see how the tariffs compare. 

... they've put me on domestic economy tariff since the smart meter install rather than the standard variable single tariff I was supposed to be on! 

There’s no need to call. All of OVO’s tariffs are given on this page: Our prices | OVO Energy. Put in your postcode, then use the filters to find tariffs for Electricity only with a multi-rate meter and your preferred payment method. It’s a bit of a jungle, but each tariff has a unique name. Note that these rates are shown ex VAT.

@Infiltrator you say in your original post that you have moved to a single variable rate. Domestic Econonmy is a multi rate tariff where I live (North of Scotland)

@Infiltrator you say in your original post that you have moved to a single variable rate. Domestic Econonmy is a multi rate tariff where I live (North of Scotland)

After the smart meter was installed OVO moved me from the THTC tariff to the single variable rate tariff (this was my original request) but then my historic monthly charges were set to £0, my current balance went from -£11 to +£900. I've since phoned and emailed OVO a number of times to get this resolved. It's now been sorted but I now find myself on the multi rate domestic economy tariff which doesn't work for my setup and it wasn't what I asked for! Hopefully should be a simple fix!