Solved

Calorific value (CV) of gas - Is this information on my bills accurate?

• 20 February 2020
  • 58 replies

Show first post

58 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This is a three year old thread, so there’s no value in unmarking the solution. If you have a better one to propose, feel free to post it and a moderator can consider it. Otherwise, the existing one will remain marked as a solution as-is.

Threads very rarely get unmarked as solved here. It’s only done if the mark was added by accident or the answer given is completely inappropriate. In both cases, it’s more likely the answer will get reassigned to something better or the original answer fixed up.

And besides that, the chances of unmarking a solution on a long standing thread with over 3000 views at this point is extremely unlikely.

It’s otherwise best to keep the existing one unless something better is more suitable. That way, others coming here can at least get something useful. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few here.

You have to bear in mind that EVERYONE involved in a thread gets notified if the best answer is assigned or reassigned. It’s not fair on those users to get spammed with such alerts without a really good reason.

I have not in anyway said this thread shouldn’t be closed. All I am pointing out is that the original questions have not been given a definitive answer.

What CV figure are OVO using to calculate a bill and why is it not available on any bill as it used be? That question has not been answered.  A possible answer could be:- Forum members do not know therefore cannot  answer, or OVO Forum administrators could respond with, we are not prepared to give an explanation. That way it leaves it to customers to resolve this issue in other ways.

I will add that as a forum member, the only thing I can say is, I am unable to say why OVO will not give this information.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Sigh… It’s not like I haven’t explained this a thousand times

It’s most likely because of two different billing systems. The old one is going away and has a different format for bills than the new one. If you’d like to see changes to the new one, feel free to suggest an idea via https://forum.ovoenergy.com/ideas . It’ll likely yield better results than simply shouting into a void and ranting about it not echoing back at you.

I know this is an old thread but still OVO have not explained why the CV is not on the bill or even give the CV over the phone when asked., why they stopped putting the CV on the bills? Surely these are simple questions that are easy for OVO to answer. It is no good forum managers saying it can be looked up on the National Grid, not everyone can do that. I have done that and recorded all National Grid CV data, plus calculated rolling daily averages then at the end of my billing period will calculate that average, which is the one OVO should be using for my bill. If OVO do not respond sensibly by the end of the month (I have tried all avenues) I will be presenting the figures I have to OVO CEO to ask him to confirm or reject my data. Also he may be able to answer why nobody from OVO has responded, excepting only the forum volunteers who to date have not given a definitive answer. Probably because they can’t.

Below is an example of how the National Grid display CV data on a daily basis. As this so plain to see, I do not understand why OVO withhold the CV figures? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@JGANLEY I have added an idea so you can expand on it with further posts with more details

Then you can see how many customers on the forum think it should be a priority and vote for it. 

If you focus on posting on the idea that may help you i suspect, rather than posting on a variety on threads on the forum where your posts may get little attention. 

Obviously up to you. I don't work for ovo.

Hope that helps

Why is Ovo altering my bills after I have downloaded my copy and then using the altered bill as the start point for the next bill?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @marshall32 ,

Do you have gas? If so, it might be updated to account for the calorific value.

However, we can’t answer this one very easily here. You’re probably better off calling 0330 303 5063.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are occasional updates after initial issue. I had one where the energy support payment was added after the first issue. And of course the updated bill is the start of the new month