Solved

Big discrepancy between the usage graphs and the actual meter readings

Show first post

96 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

Could you grab us a screenshot of what you see under https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity please?

No idea what this has to do with it.

Apparently overnight I've gone from averaging 12.7kwh per day to over 64kwh per day and last Wednesday over 152kwh in one day. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I think I found it. There’s a discrepancy from the reading dated 8th December 2021 which appears to roll back the clock massively for no apparent reason. From that point onwards, things seem to get messy. A read dispute can probably fix this.

You can’t have the contact details of anyone in OVO’s Senior Management Team. Not only is posting employee details not allowed here, I don’t have them to give you anyway.

Try flagging this to https://ovoenergy.com/feedback 

Userlevel 7

I agree with blastoise for the most part, @Ovowtf - at some point after the 8th October 2021 and before 8th December 2021, the readings go backwards. This may happen if you’ve had a meter exchange or some issue has taken place. Please flag this to our Support team who can get the ball rolling with getting this rectified. If you raise this via a web chat, you can link them directly to this topic and save you having to explain anything twice! 

The metre was replaced in October 2021. 

There hasn't been an issue until OVO took over from SSE.  See screenshot below for the apparent usage which simply not credible.

I was waiting for 2 hours to get an agent on the online chat last night and only managed to get down to 124 in the que. My account number is *edited by mod* if anyone can do something with it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This has often been caused by SSE sending over bad transfer readings however. Not much OVO can do to prevent it but OVO does try to detect it and where possible, fix it automatically so that you don’t notice.

Also, please don’t post your account number here. We can’t use it anyway and this is a public forum so you’ve just leaked personal data to the internet.

I’ve asked a moderator to fix it for you.

Lol number one in the que Half an hour still no advisor 🤪 lord knows what the poor souls in front of me a complaining about.

I'm not blaming OVO for the issue I'm blaming them for being uncontactable.  With SEE I could get a British agent on the phone in a couple of minutes whom was very helpful and knowledgeable always got anything sorted in one call.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, by the time I left SSE in 2020, you could no longer speak to a British agent on the phone EVER and it always took ages to get through

Badge

What’s going on here on April 25th , this isn’t correct. If any payment has been taken, adjusted or otherwise. OVO need to explain this away. Either there’s a major leak, which there isn’t or a massive miscalculation.

Badge

Account number is *Edited by Mod*

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

What’s going on here on April 25th , this isn’t correct. If any payment has been taken, adjusted or otherwise. OVO need to explain this away. Either there’s a major leak, which there isn’t or a massive miscalculation.

Hi @russcolesmith

Welcome to the customer forum, i am just a customer like you. 

No one here can access your account. 

Don't post personal info on the forum like account numbers etc in case you get hacked

Take a look at the readings page. This is what you are actually billed. 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/gas

If you want to contact ovo about account specific issues

https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

Or a direct message rather than a general post on their twitter or Facebook feed

https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy

https://twitter.com/ovoenergy

Userlevel 7

Hey @russcolesmith,

We have information about what to do in a gas emergency on our website. Taken from the website:

Gas emergency

If you can smell gas or think you have a gas leak: 

• Do open doors and windows to let the gas escape
  • Do check your gas appliances are switched off
  • Do call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999
  • Do turn your gas off at the isolation switch (if you know where it is), then wait outside, and let your neighbours know.
  • Don't switch lights on or off, use doorbells, mobile phones or use any electrical switches.
  • Don't smoke, light a match or use any other kind of naked flame.
  • Don't go back into your home until you’ve got the all-clear.

If you're worried fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999. For further information about gas safety in the home check out our guide here

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Emmanuelle_OVO there’s not a gas leak….

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Emmanuelle_OVO there’s not a gas leak….

It could be. 

I just assumed it may have been a reading error. 

But it is definitely worth @russcolesmith checking. The poster even mentioned it in their post, although perhaps initially in jest.

A view of the Day tab, if visible, with 30min gas readings would give some indication about what is going on. Also what they have seen on their In Home Display now. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey @russcolesmith,

We have information about what to do in a gas emergency on our website. Taken from the website:

Gas emergency

If you can smell gas or think you have a gas leak: 

• Do open doors and windows to let the gas escape
  • Do check your gas appliances are switched off
  • Do call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999
  • Do turn your gas off at the isolation switch (if you know where it is), then wait outside, and let your neighbours know.
  • Don't switch lights on or off, use doorbells, mobile phones or use any electrical switches.
  • Don't smoke, light a match or use any other kind of naked flame.
  • Don't go back into your home until you’ve got the all-clear.

If you're worried fumes containing carbon monoxide are escaping from a gas appliance, call the 24 hour National Gas Emergency hotline on 0800 111 999. For further information about gas safety in the home check out our guide here

Good point @Emmanuelle_OVO definitely worth checking. 

I have been struggling to understand my energy usage with OVO. I have been residing in my current house for almost a year, but I have been receiving weird bills. Some months, such as be my energy bill was around £60, while in other months, it spiked to £220, despite only having two people living in the house. I am puzzled by the significant fluctuations in usage, which have occurred without any changes to our lifestyle. Additionally, I noticed that the daily usage from the 20th to the 27th of the month is exactly the same, which seems like a system glitch. Same as 5th to 19th, not sure why the usage was dramatically lower than others. Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? I am incredibly frustrated and struggling to make sense of my energy usage.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @HeadbuJJ and welcome to this customer based forum. There is a change of usage over the months especially over winter of course. 
If you look at your meter readings to check if they’re all accurate that might help as sometimes readings can be estimated. 
https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

Other than that, if you have a smart meter with readings set to record every 30 mins you could see when any extra usage occurs

I do understand that winter season may entail greater consumption, however, the captured data is of April. Would it be necessary for me to submit readings periodically? I am already using a smart meter

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I do understand that winter season may entail greater consumption, however, the captured data is of April. Would it be necessary for me to submit readings periodically? I am already using a smart meter

If you check on your account you will see what readings are being used. Smart meters do drop connection occasionally. If there are estimated readings for a few days you can give manual readings to keep things on track

How can I properly submit the readings from previous days?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

How can I properly submit the readings from previous days?

You don’t need to. OVO use what they call a live billing system so any meter readings given now would correct any previous estimates