Solved

Big discrepancy between the usage graphs and the actual meter readings

Show first post

96 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

The app shows your account balance, which is the amount you owe or are in credit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The homepage of the app just shows your balance. The Payments tab can reveal how you got there, especially under Payments > See Charges and Payments.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Alpinaman,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

Great to see our community members giving you some tip-top advice here! 

Your usage graphs will show your usage only. All other costs on your Online Account can be found under payments, your account balance and your monthly statements. 

Here is a great guide you might find useful:

Hope this helps. 

In OVO app usage graphs, what do the solid orange (electricity) and blue (gas) colours indicate? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Depending on position of the slider Price or kWh the column on the right shows usage in numbers, the coloured bars indicate that in a pictorial form. Eg sat 5th I used most as I charged the car 

We moved over to ovo on 18th Nov. I provided a manual meter reading on same day and then a smart meter reading was taken the next which matched. Another reading was taken a month later all fine. Then 2 days after our December reading (17th dec) the usage went from around 7kw/h up to 20kw/h for electricity almost tripling the cost. I checked usage for every day from 18th Nov onwards and it was pretty much the same every day up until 18th December when overnight it massively increased, there have been no changes in appliances no extra christmas lights etc so extremely concerning. Any ideas? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Can you see on the meter readings page if these use estimated readings? That might explain things

No they are all smart readings apart from my first manual one, but thanks ☺️ 

Userlevel 1

Any ideas? 

Do you have an immersion heater? 

It looks suspiciously like an immersion heater, or something along those lines, was switched on some time on the 19th and has been left on ever since.

No we have a combi boiler that has been on same setting since we moved in. Its very frustrating and obviously very concerning due to the massive cost increase 😑 

Userlevel 1

No we have a combi boiler that has been on same setting since we moved in. Its very frustrating and obviously very concerning due to the massive cost increase 😑 

In that case, any suggestions I have descends to asking whether a slow cooker has been left on etc. 13 kWh limits the potential suspect appliances. … chargers for heavy duty tools, a powerful computer/games console on 24/7,  a large electric blanket, heated towel rail etc

If everything else can be ruled out and it is a 24 hours of the day problem, then I’d start to suspect a compressor, thermostat or seal issue with a fridge/freezer.

Do you have an in-home display? Can you see if the overnight load is also high? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Loubielou can you post the daily usage with 30min readings?

So we can see if the increase is at any particular time of day?

If you don't yet have 30min readings setup ask  OVO to do this. 

No slow cooker, all appliances have been the same since we moved in. Readings are actuals from smart meter and not estimates. No in home display as we didn't even know it was a smart meter until we saw that readings had been taken, previous occupier left no details etc. I've requested a monitor or an engineer to check because it is genuinely baffling. I spoke to ovo on chat on 31st and they've said they can swap to half hourly readings but this doesn't seem to have happened yet as on app it's only daily, and monthly usage I can see.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It can take up to five working days for changes to those settings to go through and data to start flowing, so we might need to come back to this thread later in the week.

My issue is the sudden jump in usage for no apparent reason. I need an display so I can turn everything off and see what happens to the usage. Half hourly readings will provide data but I want to suddenly get to the bottom of why overnight on a random December day did our usage almost triple????

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

While you wait for the half hour readings to be in place @Loubielou, it’s worth checking your plan .. I know you said you swapped mid Nov but look at the p per kWh charge as that could be another explanation for the sudden increase

That would be an explanation for an increase in cost, but we've had a very sudden increase in energy actually used, from around 7 to around 20. If usage had remained around 7 and cost had increased we would know it was cost per unit that had increased, but our usage units have increased for no apparent reason 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That would be an explanation for an increase in cost, but we've had a very sudden increase in energy actually used, from around 7 to around 20. If usage had remained around 7 and cost had increased we would know it was cost per unit that had increased, but our usage units have increased for no apparent reason 

I’ve only seen your cost image data not kWh hence the suggestion 

I appreciate the suggestions, thank you, its just very frustrating as you can imagine!😫🙈

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sure, it sounds like it. 
Have you checked your actual meter readings against the records? We have seen one or two accounts which have had meter readings swapped with neighbours - very rare but possible

I am going to start recording daily readings from meter and then check against what the usage says. Amounts seem to be roughly the same on meter as when it was read by ovo I think?! It's just very odd as it's almost 3 times the amount of usage all of a sudden. Probably wouldn't have even checked if they hadn't tried to increase the dd from around 210 to 330 a month! Which, based on the large amount of usage would be right, but we genuinely can't figure out the massive increase 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Check the mpan number too - meter v account 

Mpan looks fine. I've checked on national grid website and our address comes up as the mpan listed on our bill. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Once you have your meter readings and checked a few days usage @Loubielou the next step might be to switch all power off for a period checking the meter before and after to see that it hasn’t moved. Then I would check each circuit on the distribution board (where your trips or fuses are). That should isolate which circuit is the problem, then check the connections/appliances on that circuit. 

How do i manage to speak to anyone at ovo ? Been trying for the last week no one answering phones and online chat a joke ?

The ovo app shows me using an insane amount of electricity that can't possibly be correct.  I urgently need to get this sorted any one go the phone number or email of the managing director ?