Attention! Fake Ofgem phishing scam emails

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I really hoped I wouldn’t have had to write this, but my network has informed me of fake Ofgem emails which are actually phishing scams. Please keep an eye out for any threads that might sound related and advise the user to report such emails to report@phishing.gov.uk .

10 replies

Userlevel 7

Great spot, @Blastoise186 

Here’s an Ofgem page with more info on this sort of scam...

Have you been scammed by an OVO email? 

We received an email from OVO asking if we were interested in early notification about any new Tariffs that they might introduce with a link to sign up if we were. We Unfortunately we clicked the link thinking it was possible to from OVO but OVO have not been able to confirm the sending of this email. Yesterday I forwarded the offending mail to their security department email address but have not yet received a reply. THIS IS A VERY WORRYING SITUATION THAT OVO SHOULD DEAL WITH VERY QUICKLY BUT ARE NOT. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

on the gov website it says 

Suspicious emails

Forward the email to report@phishing.gov.uk.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

There's little OVO can do if scammers are sending emails pretending to be from the company. 

Was the email actually from OVO?

Hi M. isterW

That is what am trying to find out but the people at OVO are not being very helpful at the moment. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can check the email address that it came from... that it actually came from, rather than any spoofed email address.

Hi jjliaamc,

If it is eventually confirmed by OVO to be a scam and phishing email, I will send it to that address. My point is that we are constantly told to never click on shortcuts in emails a texts but OVO seems to be promoting just that, which cannot be right. 

M.isterW

How? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Send it to that phishing address now. If it’s not a scam they will probably let you know. If it is they can shut it down. Don’t wait, that’s the whole point of reporting it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you Google "how to check if an email is genuine" you'll get lots of websites telling you how to do it.