Solved

Asked support for the chat transcript, they never sent it

Hello! At the end of the chat asked for a transcript. They said will send it to my email, but never did. How I should understand it? 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 22 May 2023, 18:22

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @luki527 ,

It might still be available if you go back to the chat in the same browser.

Hi @luki527 ,

It might still be available if you go back to the chat in the same browser.

There’s no option to save it

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can just copy/paste it or screenshot it if you need it

You can just copy/paste it or screenshot it if you need it

Copy/paste doesn’t work with photos. Also is a bit long to manually ss all.

But good news, after posting here finally got the transcript 

Userlevel 2

I know this is an old thread, but today I went on chat and asked for a transcript.

The agent curtly provided me with a link to a SAR request form !.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

For the purposes of GDPR, the Data Controller needs to be able to keep records of these requests. The tool you were given the link for is the easiest way of both fulfilling your request, and dealing with the recordkeeping that needs to take place.

Userlevel 2

While I understand the principles GDPR, I don’t understand what is non-GDPR compliant about a transcript button. Lots of other ‘chat’ systems use a button.

The action of the button press is recorded in the chat system, and will be available to the Data Controller if it is ever needed as evidence.

It looks more like OVO have not got the ability to implement one !

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, that’s not within OVO’s remit. I’ve seen this exact chat tool used elsewhere and it doesn’t offer a transcript button. There are others that don’t either - I can think of at least two or three.

Some companies also prefer that chat transcripts are handed over a certain way...

Userlevel 2

OK, we will agree to differ.

Can you tell me how long I will need to wait for the SAR to be processed ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Usually within a month, sometimes three if there’s a LOT to process.

Userlevel 2

Upto 3 months ?. That’s ridiculous !

Are SARs processed manually ?.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Three months is the extended limit set down by the ICO, but most are usually done within one month.

For example, I can get Discord to spit out a giant 1GB+ data package in about six hours via their internal one-click request tool. And I can get Transcend to spit out or even delete my data in at most a couple of days for pretty much any of their clients that I happen to be a customer of. The fastest I’ve had was literally 30 seconds!

I can also get Google to serve up ALL of my Google Account data within 12 hours tops, or an entire Google Workspace domain that I manage can be dumped within 24 hours via the data export tools, into a bucket on Google Cloud Platform that I can then scoop up and take with me if I need to.

On the other end of the scale, you’ve got snails like my former employer - who took an infinitely long time and eventually got timed out after three months.

Userlevel 2

A button is virtually instant, and does not involve needing access to gigabytes of data.

I agree Discord, Google, etc. can provide all their data relating to a user at the click of a button, because that access is validated by the user’s login credentials.

However, a SAR request is a document that can be filled in by anyone, so how is access validated then ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Both Transcend and OneTrust have thought of that. :)

You have to satisfy their ID Validation for the request to proceed. Fail to do so and the request gets cancelled and closed. OVO uses the latter, so it’s defined by whatever OneTrust requires.

Userlevel 2

If there is a problem with my account details, which I think there is but I can’t see, how will OneTrust validate me if they depend on those incorrect details ?.

These big data systems work great most of the time, but when they go adrift it can mean major problems for the user.

A few years ago we were threatened with bailiffs who wanted to repossess our Motability car. The source of this grief was a garage operative who ticked the wrong box on the annual service report. He ticked that the car was a ‘write off’. That went into the computer, and from then on it was The Truth. It took weeks of communication to find this, and more weeks to get it put right. A big part of the problem was that the front line staff could not see beyond their screens. If the computer says the car is a write-off then that’s it.

I’m not a Luddite, but I also don’t blindly beleive that computers are always right !.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OneTrust isn’t a fully automated system - it’s only semi-automated at best. If you think some details on the account are wrong, you can use it to correct them - but it’s faster if you do it via the Support Team or self-service.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Buzby,

I’ve double checked and you shouldn’t need to raise a SARs request to get this done. An agent should be able to send you the transcript, as long as they make sure their full name is removed from the transcript. 

Some agents might not have the capabilities to do this  themselves but it is possible, so they should be able to ask someone to action this on their behalf. 

Please call support on 0330 303 5063 and request this, report back if you have any issues. 

Userlevel 2

I’m fairly certain the ‘agent’ could have emailed me the transcript if I had asked specifically, but I got the distinct feeling that he wanted the quickest way out of the conversation. 

Or maybe the agent needs a bit more training.