Solved

Android app has stopped showing electricity usage - gas is still showing?

Show first post

149 replies

Userlevel 7

Yep no issues with my online account usage chart either, @windpower. Can you check your account’s meter reading page to see if we’ve had readings? https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

Do you have the OVO app to see if this is replicated there? 

Yes, meter readings are being taken as normal and my IHD display shows correct usage.  Do need to tell OVO about this issue and if so, how?

I installed the OVO app on my phone with the same result: Data missing from 22 Dec 2022 onwards despite meter readings being transmitted and received.

What should I do next?

Userlevel 7

Thanks for confirming, @windpower. I’ve raised this as an issue to the team, but I would recommend you make our Support team aware of this usage graph issue on your account so account specifics can be looked at. You can do this via web chat or WhatsApp here.  

Many thanks for your help.  I’ll report problem to the Support Team.

For what it’s worth, OVO Support say that the issue is caused by my account being transferred onto a new system due to my meters being the older version of the smart meters. In so far as my gas usage graph is still being updated normally, I’m not 100% convinced that this is the cause.  I’ve been with OVO since May 2014. The Smart Meters were installed in March 2016: Secure Liberty 100 for electricity and Liberty EG4v10 for gas.  My IHD is Pipit 500.

If I’m being transferred to a new system and new meters are to be installed, surely I should have been notified?

Your comments would be welcome!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Not too certain about the ‘new system’ but it may mean your meter has had an upgrade to SMETS2. I’ve seen reference to that elsewhere - this thread may help

Apologies in advance if I’m wrong.

Userlevel 7

I was thinking the same thing to be fair, @juliamc! 😎

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@windpower you can check if your meter has been upgraded here

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Thanks for the tip.  Just checked and the result was:

1. I’m on first generation (SMETS1) meter

2. I should takes regular meter readings and send them to my supplier.

My smart meters were installed in 2016 so the first part is probably correct: I probably do have SMETS1 meter.

But the second part is wrong: my meter readings are being automatically transmitted and recorded by OVO - I don’t need to manually read them and send them!

My gas consumption data graph continues to be updated as normal which makes me suspect that the real cause for the lack of electricity data update is some glitch in the database which records my usage.

I don’t feel assured by the answer received from OVO support team but there seems little more that I can do.

Userlevel 7

@windpower you can check if your meter has been upgraded here

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

@windpower does it confirm if you’ve been ‘enrolled and adopted onto the DCC’ - which is a terrible amount of jargon to say that your first generation smart meter now acts like a second generation smart meter on a shared platform that all suppliers can access? 

It’s good to hear those daily meter readings are getting to your online account, @windpower. Accurate and automated daily charges is a good place to start from. Hopefully whatever is preventing these daily readings from populating your daily chart is rectified for you soon. 

The smart meter check results were as previously posted ... nothing about being “enrolled and adopted onto the DCC’

I guess the important thing is that the meter readings are still being automatically generated and sent to OVO.  I think I shall just have to be patient and hope that the electricity consumption graph eventually gets updated.  I’ll let you know if it does!

The website can't access my electricity usage data. Gas is fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Duckers1882 do you mean that info is missing generally, recently or otherwise?

As this is a public forum, no one here will have access to your account but if you can give a few more details, someone might be able to help. 
Do you have smart meters? Are your meter readings actual or estimated ?

Userlevel 7

Hey @Duckers1882,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

It sounds like you might have smart meters? If so, this tutorial might be helpful to you:

Thanks I do. The odd thing is that I'm receiving gas data but not electricity data

Userlevel 7

Hey @Duckers1882,

That would explain the issue with the usage graph. 

If we’ve lost communication with your smart meter you’ll need to do a smart meter health check. Check out these guides we have on the topic:

You can now fill in an Online Form which will send your results directly to the right team! 

Hope this helps. 

The electricity consumption issue which I raised at the beginning of January remains unresolved.  My smart meter is working correctly and OVO are receiving the data which can be viewed on the website via “View reading history”.  So for January 2023 there is a £14.51 standing charge but no charge for consumption.  My IHD is working correctly and also there is no problem with gas data.

It seems that the daily electricity smart meter readings are being recorded on the OVO database but are not being fed through to the billing part of the system and the usage graphs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@windpower certainly a strange one.

Sorry if one of the forum volunteers has already asked this. It may not help but sometimes helps to spot issues. 

1. I assume you didn't switch tariff around the time this happened?

2. Does everything look correct on the plan page for electricity (MPAN, Serial number, unit rate for electricity)? 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/plan

3. Has a bill now be created with zero electricity use?

4. Do you have your meter set for 30min readings? Did these stop on the same day on the usage page?

5. Not a question, but just an observation that estimated readings haven't popped up on the Usage page. 

6. Have OVO given any estimate how long it will take? 

I am also not convinced about the reason OVO gave but they may be correct of course. I think we saw a similar issue last year with some customers on the forum, i will see if i can find them but it can be very difficult sometimes when threads are merged.

OVO are very clearly getting daily smart readings as you say which should drive the bills whether you are on  SMETS1 or being upgraded to SMETS2

If you want to be sure it is getting attention you could put in a complaint, else i suggest asking for a weekly update which isn't unreasonable i think. Depends on how urgent the issue is for you. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Answers to your queries:

1.    Haven’t switched tariff since my Fixed rate ended in June 2022

2.    Everything is displaying correctly on the plan page

3.    The bill for January 2023 is “pending” but if I click on “View full details” is shows zero electricity consumption.  In any case I was not charged for the last two weeks December 2022.

4.    My meter is set for 30 mins readings.  I can view the detailed half-hourly readings up to 11 December 2022 but not from 12 to 21 December after which the graph was not updated.

I have been with OVO since May 2014 and my smart meters were installed in March 2016 so I suspect they are SMETS1.

I think the crux of the problem is what the OVO database system does with the electricity meter readings it receives rather than an issue with the meter itself.

Userlevel 7

Hey @windpower,

Thank you for your response, and providing all the information. 

In that case, it seems as though the issue might be a technical one. please contact Support who’ll be able to raise this to our tech team for investigation. 

It may be as you suggest, an issue with pulling the meter readings onto our billing platform. 

Keep us posted with how you get on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@windpower thanks for replying. 

I suspect it won't work as the citizens advice link didn't say your meters were converted, but if you haven't already I would see if loop recognised your meters

https://loop.homes/ 

I asked the previous questions as i had an updating issues that cleared once a bill was generated. But i suspect it won't clear in your case automatically with the current bill given all your answers. 

For part of December 2022 and for 4 months from January to April 2023 I was not charged for electricity consumption and my usage graphs were blank despite OVO receiving all my smart meter data.  On 2nd May 2023 I received an email from OVO apologising for the error which has now been corrected and saying that I currently have a £88.21 debit which can be paid by one-off payment or via a repayment plan.  Monthly graphs have been updated.  The revised December 2022 bill showed 11 Dec 2022 “final read for old meter setup”.  So it seems that the cause of the problem was some kind of software change by OVO.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

For part of December 2022 and for 4 months from January to April 2023 I was not charged for electricity consumption and my usage graphs were blank despite OVO receiving all my smart meter data.  On 2nd May 2023 I received an email from OVO apologising for the error which has now been corrected and saying that I currently have a £88.21 debit which can be paid by one-off payment or via a repayment plan.  Monthly graphs have been updated.  The revised December 2022 bill showed 11 Dec 2022 “final read for old meter setup”.  So it seems that the cause of the problem was some kind of software change by OVO.

Unfortunately some posters are seeing similar  errors reappear, even the readings on old bills disappear in some cases. This was from today for example. 

So keep an eye on your bills going forward.

It would have been good if ovo had offered a small goodwill compensation payment for all those impacted.