Skip to main content

While exploring options, I wondered if anyone could share their experiences holidaying with an electric vehicle. 
We do tend to travel around the UK and occasionally the near continent, so it would be useful to hear any tips, pitfalls and suggestions from those who have tales to share of their travels - positives and negatives. 

Hey @BPLightlog

Although we don’t currently have an EV I thought I would add a couple of my observations from our travels so far! 

• We often go camping as we have a Tentbox on the roof of the car and I was actually surprised at how well the charging infrastructure was on our travels in the north of Scotland. The campsites we visited (https://www.sligachancampsite.com/information) had plenty of provisions for charging EV’s.
  • We used a couple of different apps (SiteSeeker & Park4Night) to compare campsites that we could use and most of them now have filters for EV/battery charging. 

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on holidaying with an EV as my partners car will be coming up for renewal in the next year or so and we had discussed the possibility of moving to EV. How have you found it so far? 

Hey @BPLightlog

I would be interested to hear your thoughts on holidaying with an EV as my partners car will be coming up for renewal in the next year or so and we had discussed the possibility of moving to EV. How have you found it so far? 

Thanks @ChristopherS_OVO , I’m still at the hybrid stage at present so have alternative power on our travels. That was the main reason for the question as I’m considering a full EV but unsure of the charging coverage in those corners of the country which we like to explore. 
At the end of last year, we visited the North York Moors and charging options looked limited - but not completely devoid. 
There are several discussions elsewhere on the subject and with OVO’s offering, I thought some might be encouraged to add some comments. 

Anytime @BPLightlog! Sounds like we’re in similar positions in terms of our EV considerations! 

I found that Google Maps had some really useful mapping information when looking at coverage or trips we had planned! They also show the types of charging and how many spots were in use at any one time which I thought was really useful.

When we plan an adventure we’re been making a point of looking at it on both an EV and non EV basis so that we know what to expect in the future.

I appreciate you posting and hopefully we can get some more discussion around this 😊

While exploring options, …

I think you just invented a new app for OVO, Boostr. Like dating, or Aibnb. Look at your phone to see Charge Anytime customers near you or where you’re heading for, and ping them to ask if you could load 20kWh at 8 this evening. The app would transfer the charge to your account rather than the householder’s, and it would all come out in the wash. In theory.

Sure, while charging still takes as long as it does for most people, this might not work much of the time. But eventually, when people routinely install chargers bigger than 7kW, it should become a viable alternative to sparse public chargers. It could probably help in emergencies, too, when the public one you were banking on turns out to be out of order and the nearest is 50 miles away.

You’re welcome 🙂

While exploring options, …

I think you just invented a new app for OVO, Boostr. ..

You’re welcome 🙂

Hope you’ve already copyrighted that 🔋📲©️