RESEARCH

Have you had a smart electric vehicle charger installed by OVO Energy?

Have you had a smart electric vehicle charger installed by OVO Energy?
Userlevel 7

Hi OVO Research Forum group,

We want to hear from you if you’ve gone through OVO’s relatively new electric vehicle (EV) smart charger installation journey

Leave a comment below if that’s you and we’ll follow up with some questions to hear how your experience was.

Thanks,
Tim

15 replies

Badge

No unfortunately not but wish I had done so when first mentioned 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hi Tim_OVO

No - my INDRA smart charger was installed by Charged-EV. On another thread, I reported it as going faulty recently, and am pleased to say that it was replaced by a brand new one yesterday. I now have to get in touch with someone to get it restored to work with the OVO 10p per unit Drive Anytime rate. I’ll find my previous thread and ask there.

Tony

I don't need one, I get my 12 v battery charged by an efficient alternator on my 60 plus mpg ice ULEZ compatible car.

Badge

Hi Tim

No. I had an Easee charger installed. This was in October 21. It has some decent functionality and I can set the cost of my KWh etc so I know how much it is costing each charge. 

Did not know OVO had a charger, but may look into it if my current one gives me any issues. Unless of course you are offering to install one for me to test. 
kind regards 

Andy

No.  I don't have an EV

Looking into buying an EV (not new) in the coming months, so looking into the possibilities and options for a charger.

Badge

No, we are thinking more about a hybrid vehicle than EV due to range issues and battery concerns.

No, I don't have an EV but I keep trying to win one 🚗😊

Badge

When I moved home two years ago, I went for the same company that installed my previous charger - PodPoint. I did so because I thought Ovo would offer cheaper electricity with all chargers at some point.

Ovo has been promising discounted electricity for car charging for at least three years now, but each time I click through, they say that only their charger can get the discount - AT PRESENT. There’s been no move to allow discount on other chargers in all this time. Some promise!

My daughter told me that there’s another energy supplier offering cheap car charging and unless Ovo make a move soon, I’ll be migrating. You can’t live on promises.

Userlevel 7

Thanks to you all for getting back to me. 

@Mal1955 what charger do you have then? Granny charger?

@Geoff Riley very exciting, look at those links I’ve posted below about Charge Anytime. Cheaper energy rates for EV charging!

@bmathieson what EV do you have? You might be able to get Charge Anytime via direct-to-vehicle

Badge

I have a VW ID3.

Badge

I’ve just downloaded the app and set it up. It looks as if I’ll be able to get the cheaper tariff without having to change chargers after all. This is great! Thank you Tim for telling me about this.

Userlevel 7

Fantastic news, @bmathieson - let us know how you find it!

Badge

The app worked well and my car was charged overnight, with a claimed saving of over £4, so I’m delighted. This needs to be better publicised, as it’s a great option for electric car owners.

Badge

Hi OVO Research Forum group,

We want to hear from you if you’ve gone through OVO’s relatively new electric vehicle (EV) smart charger installation journey

Leave a comment below if that’s you and we’ll follow up with some questions to hear how your experience was.

Thanks,
Tim

yes, an Indra on 19th April 2024. Installation was done well and arranged quickly via OVO. The first charge done on the same day as the car was delivered and the charger installed went perfectly. But since then……..Charging the EQC with Charge Anytime has been nothing but a headache. The Charge Anytime app is not compatible with the OVO recommended Indra charger. I have instead been told to use Kaluza web portal, which doesn’t work. I did not realise removing the Charge Anytime app would not disconnect and remove this problem (I have yet to find out if deleting the app account fixed the problem, but I am testing this tonight, 1st May). Charging my EQC beyond 50% is difficult. The OVO team have been good in replying quickly but in reality, these problems should not exist, or the recommend and sold by OVO chargers and their apps made to fully work BEFORE offering or selling them. I have yet to tackle the obstacle of ensuring I am not paying more than the £0.07 rate - due to the tech not working as it should - , but I am sure this hiccup will come along soon….