Solved

Smart meters SMETs1 or SMETs2?

• Newbie*
  • 0 replies
Now that the DCC system is operational, what generation of smart meters are you fitting these days?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 24 March 2017, 12:54

NeilB wrote:

Now that the DCC system is operational, what generation of smart meters are you fitting these days?

On the ball with the latest smart technology, Neil - I like it! That title is spot on, so I've just added a tag so other users can find this topic.

As for the 'SMETs2' meters ('smart metering equipment technical specifications: second version', for those not in the know), these are still in the testing phase. This means we're still fitting the first generation of smart meters - 'SMETs1'. We'll be doing a small scale trial from December of this year onwards. Your best best to get the next gen meter is mid 2018 I reckon.

Tim

View original

48 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
NeilB wrote:

On the ball with the latest smart technology, Neil - I like it! That title is spot on, so I've just added a tag so other users can find this topic.

As for the 'SMETs2' meters ('smart metering equipment technical specifications: second version', for those not in the know), these are still in the testing phase. This means we're still fitting the first generation of smart meters - 'SMETs1'. We'll be doing a small scale trial from December of this year onwards. Your best best to get the next gen meter is mid 2018 I reckon.

Tim
Userlevel 2
This raises the question, what happens to those of us who've recently had the old meters installed? Will we eventually be able to get an upgrade to the new generation?

Richard.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Ooh I've heard about DCC, isn't that like an intermediary between all smart meters and all energy companies, so no matter which make of smart you have, any energy company can get the readings? It's a great idea. I didn't think it was up and running though. Can anyone confirm or deny this...?

When it IS up and running though, will we need Gen2 smart meters, or will the current ones work with it?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Heard today on Moneybox that the experts still haven't agreed any standard for the nationwide smart meter network - does that mean that when they do Ovo's smart meter's will have to be ripped out and replaced because they do not comply? Could be a big waste of time and money and not that smart...
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
mrratcatcher wrote:

Heard today on Moneybox that the experts still haven't agreed any standard for the nationwide smart meter network - does that mean that when they do Ovo's smart meter's will have to be ripped out and replaced because they do not comply? Could be a big waste of time and money and not that smart...

That's a great point - I can only speculate that whilst the industry decides the national standard OVO will continue with the smart meters they use and should the industry decide to standardise the technology - OVO and other firms will have to do a phased roll out.

Would be great to know what @Darran_OVO @Lucy_OVO @Tim_OVO think!
Userlevel 1
Smart meters being installed today, will all have to be replaced to work under SMET2. Why not wait until SMET2 meters have been tested and are available?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Fourbrick wrote:

Smart meters being installed today, will all have to be replaced to work under SMET2. Why not wait until SMET2 meters have been tested and are available?

Hi Fourbrick

I can only speculate that as OVO are unsure when SMET2 meters will be market ready and in stock they will continue to use The current meters so as to at least get customers on a level of smart meter technology.

Once SMET2 meters do enter supply I'm sure OVO will do a phased rollout over a period of time.

If I'm mistaken - am sure one of the moderators can advise you accordingly on their return to work.
Userlevel 1
Waste of money putting in the present range of smart meters as they will have to be changed as soon as SMET2 comes in. The only reason for installing them is to get the numbers up to please the government. It means customers will have to pay for the upgrade, despite it costing £11bn already. The cost is likely to rise by 50%.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Fourbrick wrote:

Waste of money putting in the present range of smart meters as they will have to be changed as soon as SMET2 comes in. The only reason for installing them is to get the numbers up to please the government. It means customers will have to pay for the upgrade, despite it costing £11bn already. The cost is likely to rise by 50%.

Ah I see where you are coming from here!

Perhaps @Darran_OVO @Lucy_OVO or @Tim_OVO can shed some light on OVO's position regarding this.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
mrratcatcher wrote:

Hey mrratcatcher,

Good question and it’s great to hear you’re keeping in the loop with this.

All I really know on this is that we’re currently working on getting newer versions of smart meters out as soon as possible (by the Government deadline of 2020), but there’s no set date for when this will happen.

Our customers will be kept up to date with this though and will know once they’ve been released.

I've also moved your topic onto this current thread surrounding smart meters -hope you don't mind.

Lucy
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
@CaroleH here's the topic that I mentioned! :$
Userlevel 2
I have got used to giving monthly readings, although the reminder to do so comes a week or so before, so it's easy to forget - would be good if it were say 2 days before needed. Anyway, I live in a flat, and the electric meter is on the ground floor, and the gas meter on the second floor inside my flat. I'm told I can't have a smart meter because of this, and also am dubious about having one fitted as they don't seem to 'talk to each other' if you change energy provider. Is it best to just wait a year or two until the technology gets sorted out nationally?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Given your situation @bournefree and if you're not that desperate for the current smart meters, if I were you I'd wait till the national standardisation negotiations are complete and the new next generation of smart meters are released
Userlevel 1
I understand that the original type of Smart meter - Type 1 - will have to be replaced by a newer model - Type 2.

However some installers are still using up stocks of Type 1.

If I have a smart meter installed, will it be Type 2?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
cardiffjc wrote:

I understand that the original type of Smart meter - Type 1 - will have to be replaced by a newer model - Type 2.

Hi @cardiffjc welcome to the forum and thanks for your post

In short - no, not at this time. There is already a discussion underway on the forum in relation to the next generation of smart meters which you can find here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/smart-meters-smets1-or-smets2-106

I hope the above helps, please do post any further questions you may have!
Userlevel 3
Badge
Mattj3135 wrote:

cardiffjc wrote:

Hi @cardiffjc welcome to the forum and thanks for your post

In short - no, not at this time. There is already a discussion underway on the forum in relation to the next generation of smart meters which you can find here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/all-about-energy-24/smart-meters-smets1-or-smets2-106

I hope the above helps, please do post any further questions you may have!

Hi @cardiffjc,

I moved your post to this topic, as there's already some information on here which might be helpful.

@Mattj3135 is right, we're still installing SMETS1 meters at the moment but will be rolling out SMETS2 meters before the end of the year.

If you'd prefer to have a SMETS2 meter installed, it may be best to hold off booking an installation for the moment.

Max
Userlevel 1
If I get an OVO Smart Meter now will it be to SMETS2 specifications?
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
ianb wrote:

Hi @ianb welcome to the forum and thanks for your post.

There's already a discussion underway on this which will help answer your query which you can check out here: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/pay-monthly-21/when-are-ovo-fitting-the-next-generation-s2-meters-337/index1.html

Hope this helps
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
ianb wrote:

Thanks for your query, @ianb

Just so you know, I've merged your question into this topic to keep all SMETS2 queries together.

Thanks for replying, @Mattj3135 - here's the topic you want to give for SMETS2 queries :)

Thanks,
Emma
Userlevel 1
The simple answer to this is: DON'T. If you switch to Ovo Energy from another supplier and already have a smart meter you will almost certainly find it won't work. If you switch to Ovo Energy from another supplier and you haven't already got a smart meter you will most likely be asked if you want a smart meter. Say: "No thank you." The technology suffers from compatibility issues as there are several different manufacturers using different technologies and it will be at least a couple of years before they will all talk to each other. It may be a bit of a fag each month but if you want accurate bills send your readings in each month on your designated day via the My Ovo web site or even via the e-mail address hello@ovoenergy.com. If you don't believe me just search for smart meters on Google. Best of luck!
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
djbmarsden wrote:

The simple answer to this is: DON'T. If you switch to Ovo Energy from another supplier and already have a smart meter you will almost certainly find it won't work. If you switch to Ovo Energy from another supplier and you haven't already got a smart meter you will most likely be asked if you want a smart meter. Say: "No thank you." The technology suffers from compatibility issues as there are several different manufacturers using different technologies and it will be at least a couple of years before they will all talk to each other. It may be a bit of a fag each month but if you want accurate bills send your readings in each month on your designated day via the My Ovo web site or even via the e-mail address hello@ovoenergy.com. If you don't believe me just search for smart meters on Google. Best of luck!

I’ve moved your topic over here @djbmarsden as there’s a host of information on smart meters, their compatibility and where we’re at with developing the newer versions.

If you have any further questions, just let one of our users know and I’m sure they’ll be happy to help! :)
Userlevel 2
djbmarsden wrote:

.. . unless you have solar panels in which case you will probably get a bigger rebate for power supply because the meter shows how much you've exported rather than assuming 50%. :D
Userlevel 1
Do I want a so-called "smart" meter? No, not yet. The technology is not standardised yet, with different operating systems meaning that if you have moved and inherited a British Gas, for example, smart meter, it won't work with Ovo, or vice versa. Hopefully, by 2020 these problems will be sorted out. Until then, don't have a smart meter if you want accurate bills and simply give your meter readings on the same day each month by phone or e-mail.
By the way, it is "licence" not "license", and it is "colour" not "color." Keep to standard English English not Americanised English, or as it is known in the printing industry "bastardised English."
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hey @djbmarsden. I’ve moved your topic onto this thread as I think you’ll find some of the comments above helpful. ^Lucy
DCC is consulting on how to "enrole" SMETS1 meters so that you can switch energy provider and retain the smart meter functionality. This could take years, may never happen so suggest not taking a SMETS1 meter to avoid being stranded as others have said. Worse, smart meters will inevitably facilitate time of day tariffs (to make electric car charging possible without driving up peak electricity demand and breaking the electricity grid).. If you are stuck on SMETS1, have switched energy provider you may not even be able to access these tariffs until SMETS1 sorted and end up paying a premium for flat rate electricity.

DCC and SMETS2 is now live and testing. Can we get a date and order process from Ovo for SMETS2?

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close