Solved

Disabled, I want to join OVO- How can I contact?

• 13 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello,

I want to switch my electricity & gas supplier to ovo.

Currently with E & on credit but after an emergency smart meter installation,  my current company are refusing to put me back on payg unless I have the gas turned to a smart meter. Which I do not want.

I'm disabled & non verbal.

Every time I talk to live chat, they tell me to phone.

Facebook messenger, they refer me to live chat.

I want to join as a payg customer. 

Relay UK doesn't work either.

I don't know what to do.

I have no way to phone.

Any tips? Advice please?

icon

Best answer by ChristopherS_OVO 15 April 2024, 12:27

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Vapegirlclouds ,

Gonna have to burst your bubble here a bit. Unless you’re willing to go to Smart Meters, you can no longer go onto PAYG in the UK if you’re not already on it - and this is the same across ALL suppliers including OVO. Traditional Credit and Traditional Prepayment Meters just don’t exist in inventories anymore. Additionally, the supporting infrastructure for Traditional Prepayment Meters is being slowly dismantled over time and sooner or later there’s going to be a total “Stop Sell Order” placed against it, meaning absolutely no-one else can be added to it, if it hasn’t already happened.

Everyone on Traditional Prepayment is being slowly migrated to Smart anyway. Suppliers won’t be keen to make more work for themselves by having yet more migrations to do.

OVO hasn’t offered Traditional Prepayment for many years. The last time it did so was prior to splitting PAYG customers off into the Boost brand - and Boost is no longer taking new customers on at all because it’s currently being merged back into OVO PAYG. The new version of OVO PAYG only offers Traditional Prepayment for those who currently have that type of meter already installed - everyone else will have to go onto Smart Meters.

Once you upgrade to Smart, there’s no downgrade path back to Traditional - this is the same for both Credit and Prepayment.

Also, you won’t be able to take OVO to the Energy Ombudsman over this either. As it sounds like you’ve never been supplied by OVO, the complaint would be automatically rejected by the Ombudsman.

As for E (unless you mean E.On Next)? Unfortunately, we don’t really know how they work here. This sounds like a business decision on their part - you’ll have to duke it out with them and figure something out. All I know is that if you refuse Smart Meters - regardless of your Supplier - then you have to accept that you cannot have certain products and/or services. That’s the consequences of refusing to go with what the Supplier requires I’m afraid. Given that this too is a business decision for individual suppliers to make, it’s also ineligible for the Ombudsman.

Ovo have confirmed I can switch my electricity to them & if I choose to switch my gas I can keep it on payg.

My issue is I have no way to contact Ovo

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you can do BSL, you can use https://ovoenergy.signvideo.net/

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Vapegirlclouds,

It looks like @Blastoise186 has provided some beneficial information so far! 

They are also correct in saying that you can use the British Sign Language service if you can. You can find more information on this and our other support tools on our Priority Services Register page.

I suggest adding someone you trust as a contact. Sometimes, we need to speak with account holders over the phone to deliver specific pieces of information. Having an additional contact would help you and us make this process easier. 

We have many ways you can contact us that aren’t verbal, such as: 

Live chat - https://www.ovoenergy.com/help (Bottom of page) 

Whatsapp - 0330 175 9695

Facebook/X/Instagram - You can send us a private message through our official OVO energy pages to speak with a team member.

Email - hello@ovoenergy.com (you need to be a customer to use this and use an email address linked to your account) 

I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions, please reach out anytime! 😊

Thank you.

I can't see WhatsApp & can just about manage email & this.

I don't have anyone else.

Email is perfect.

Live chat helped me in the end. So I am grateful someone took the time to read what I wrote.

I will email in future or live chat.

Many thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @Vapegirlclouds,

Email and live chat are going to be the best methods of support for you moving forward! 😊

You will also find plenty of helpful information on the forum to help you learn more about your account. If you ever have any questions, you can reach out anytime. We don’t have account access here, but we can always point you in the right direction for support when needed.