Solved

Why is there a constant 50p display showing on my IHD?

• 26 December 2023
  • 13 replies

My Smartmeter3 constantly says 50p, all day and night, never changes, how can I fix it? 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 26 December 2023, 15:56

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @designercooper ,

Please note that the OVO Forum is currently in Hibernation Mode for Christmas and New Year. The response times for Forum Volunteers such as myself may be slower to respond than usual during this time and our service here may be limited. There will also be limited or no responses from the Forum Moderators during this time and their responses may be delayed. Thanks in advance for your understanding. We’d also like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the Forum Moderators and Volunteers of the OVO Forum.

Please show us photos of your meters and IHD. I’m afraid I can’t identify what you’ve got based purely on “Smartmeter3” alone. Please can you also tell us who your supplier is, as this may help us adapt our advice.

Thanks.

Same screen 24/7

Userlevel 6

That is your In Home Display (IHD) and not the smartmeter itself which will be fixed to the wall somewhere.

That particular model of IHD were usually supplied with smartmeters installed by E-ON.

The date and time are not being displayed at the top of yours.
Which indicates that the IHD is not connected by the HAN signal to your smartmeter.

Is that IHD original, or is it one that you have acquired? Maybe bought from eBay or similar?
You do see old IHDs for sale, but they can't always be used with a different meter to the original one at the original property.
Which I believe is the case with that type of IHD, Blastoise186 will probably know for sure.

As to the £0.50 that it is showing.
A fixed figure like that with the word 'Today' is probably showing a daily budget that has been set up.
Here's the E-ON video about using that particular IHD, from 1 min 52 secs in shows how to set a budget.
https://youtu.be/lZbXrtr0LL4?t=112
But that video is not much use to you because yours doesn't appear to be connecting to the meter.

Please also photograph the smartmeter as asked, and say who your supplier is.

Hiya, it was sent to us in the post. We don’t have a smart meter but this gadget used to display a value per day from energy used . . . if not, what was it displaying? 

Userlevel 6

Sent in the post by who?

If it was showing an energy usage at one time then it was connecting to a smartmeter at that time.
But it doesn’t look like it is connected to one now.

You could try and press and hold the OK button to power-off/restart, or unplug and remove the batteries.
Then after a while fire it up again and leave it sat another while to see if it reconnects.

Please provide the Photo’s and your supplier details as asked for.
You have to help us to be able to help you.
(PS, It doesn’t matter if your supplier isn’t OVO, we’ll help if we can).

We are with edf, we might have been with ovo when we received the smart-gadget pictured. Would we have been sent this gadget if we don’t have a smart meter? How do I know if we do/don’t have a smart meter? So many questions 😂

Also, I’ve unplugged it and waiting for it to run out of power and turn off, to reset it? I tried to power off using the buttons but it didn’t work 😩

Userlevel 6

OK if it’s a rechargable battery that you can’t take out then leave it to fully run down, which may take some time, and then plugh it in again and start it up.

The answers to questions and photos are important, we don’t ask for them just for fun.
We need the answers to be able to tell you what’s best to do next.

For example you just asked:- How do I know if we do/don’t have a smart meter? 
A photo of the meter will tell us that and possibly/probably more, so we can then tell you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 04/01/23 by Abby_OVO

Actually, this is an In Home Displays Limited SmartView 2 which basically means it’s a terrible IHD from the absolute worst possible IHD manufacturer under the sun. It’s unfortunately not worth trying to diagnose and fix ANY IHDL SmartView device (trust me, I’ve tried before!), they’re too unreliable and cause too many problems to be worthy of fixing. There is also no way of turning them off without draining the battery. This is by design for some stupid reason that makes absolutely no sense.

OVO has never given those out because OVO went for Secure Pipit 500 in the SMETS1 days before switching to Chameleon later on in S1 and currently issues a mixture of Geo and Chameleon devices. the closest OVO has ever come to issuing any IHDL stuff was when SSE gave out an SSE branded IHDL SmartView 1 back in the SMETS1 days - but this stopped prior to OVO taking over. AFAIK SSE drained their remaining stocks of them at the same time as getting rid of their final S1 meters around 2018.

Ironically enough, the SSE branded SV1 units DID have an easy to access power off menu that held Power Off, Restart and Cancel options - and all three of them actually did exactly what they said on the tin - and a rechargeable battery that could be removed easily by sliding off the back cover and pulling the battery out. However, for the SV2 onwards, for some boneheaded reason that menu has basically been removed completely, or at very least reduced to just Restart and Cancel in some cases (the former is far more likely though).

The best way - and arguably only way - to fix an IHDL SmartView device is to basically smash it up with a sledgehammer and then send it away for recycling. We do have a guide here on the Forum which can tell you about replacements that may work better:

If you can show us photos of the meter on the wall though, we’ll be happy to try and help you run a few checks that may prevent a bad experience with whichever IHD you get next.

As to the £0.50 that it is showing.
A fixed figure like that with the word 'Today' is probably showing a daily budget that has been set up.
Here's the E-ON video about using that particular IHD, from 1 min 52 secs in shows how to set a budget.
https://youtu.be/lZbXrtr0LL4?t=112
But that video is not much use to you because yours doesn't appear to be connecting to the meter.

Please also photograph the smartmeter as asked, and say who your supplier is.

Just solved it, simple solution - Daily Budget shows usage that day! 

Hi, the meter is out on the street, within the pavement. You have to lie on your stomach and shine a torch down a manhole to see it! Even then, it’s covered in dirt and unreachable 😂

Just solved it, simple solution - Daily Budget shows usage that day! 

Userlevel 6

Really? You are ony using 50p each day?

is the thing now showing the date and time at the top of the display?

‘within the pavement’, I think that's probably your water meter,