Solved

We have an asbestos fuse- How do I get OVO to inform the DNO?

• 23 September 2022
  • 40 replies

Show first post

40 replies

Userlevel 1

Thank you.  What worries me is that several previous posters could not get Ovo to send the B code to UK power networks no matter how times they tried or how many months or years went by.  From what I read in this thread Ovo kept telling them it was sent but it wasn't or else the wrong thing had been sent I couldn't work out which.  

It sounded like a problem with the system.  It is always possible that it has have been fixed by now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That is possible. But when UKPN even make it difficult for even me as an experienced forum volunteer to get the most basic of answers… It doesn’t say much for their customer service.

In comparison, my local DNO Western Power Distribution have a 24/7/365 Live Chat service for any and all enquiries and they don’t mind me throwing random forum threads at them to get advice. I try to only use it if either:

• It’s related to someone in the WPD area
  • I’m completely unable to get advice from the actual DNO that serves whoever came here

And I usually have a full answer in five minutes or less. Most of that time is spent just waiting for the agent to finish typing it out.

Worlds apart comes to mind.

Userlevel 1

You are an amazingly helpful person.  I will wait a few weeks and then phone UK power networks to see if they have received it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries.

The one concession is that UKPN will supposedly contact you once they receive the form. Since it’d be a B Code, you should hear back within six weeks. I’d definitely nudge after that if you hear nothing.

Userlevel 1

I phoned up UK Power Networks this morning.  They said that Ovo had sent the wrong code through!

I need a category B D0135 flow from Ovo for them to come and change the the fuse. 

Alas Ovo has sent them a CAT C11 which means that UK power networks don't need to do anything!

This means that Ovo still hasn't fixed their reporting system after all this time!

I am having exact same problem as all the other people in this thread but I've just detected early because of having seen their experiences.

Userlevel 1

UK Power Networks have sent me an email confirming this.  I don't know if there is any way of getting Ovo to send the right code through but seeing all the previous posts from people who have tried and failed it is doesn't look promising.  It sounds like a bug in their system but there isn't an easy mechanism for getting Ovo to investigate and rectify this.

Userlevel 1

I decided to see if I could persuade Ovo to send the D0135 code so I contacted them on chat.  They initially said it was Category A and that the engineer should have phoned UK power networks not used D0135. 

So I explained that category A was only for emergency situations which this wasn't - the fuse had been there for decades.  I kept telling them what UK Power Networks told me: it needed a D0135 code but Ovo had send a C11.  The person checked and promised to arrange for a D0135 to be sent.

I will go back to UKPN in a day or so to see if they have go it

​​

Userlevel 1

After chasing Ovo several times to try to get them to send the Category B request to UK Power Networks but with UKPN still not receiving it, I've decided to try a  Formal Complaint with Ovo and then if it isn't resolved within 8 weeks take it to the Ombudsman.  

Userlevel 7

Hey @RedCow,

Really sorry to hear of the issues you’ve had,

Please keep us posted with the progress of your complaint. This may help other community members in a similar situation.

Userlevel 1

After making a formal complaint, Ovo got back to me very quickly and told me that they had now definitely sent the correct thing to UKPN. 

As I had been told this a couple of times before I wasn't sure this had really happened but the next day UKPN phoned me up to make an appointment to replace my fuse!  Woohoo!

The fuse replacement was done a couple of days ago and I now have nice new main fuse.

HOWEVER Ovo are still not letting me have smart meters 😱😡. There seems to be a block on my account. I suspect this is because it doesn't know the asbestos fuse problem has now been sorted 😭😭

I will wait another day or so in case this is just a timing thing but if there is still no way of getting a smart meter appointment I will have to transfer to another energy company.  At least now I have a new main fuse there should be no problem with getting smart meters with someone else.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It takes time for the records to be updated - you won’t get Smart Meters anywhere until that’s done.

Please allow another week or two for that to happen. You’ll then want to use Live Chat to book via https://ovoenergy.com/help. Asbestos Fuses might not be the only blocker here...

Userlevel 1

Thank you.  That is really helpful.  I just assumed that UKPN would send something back the next day and (if Ovo's systems worked) their block on smart meter appointments would be removed straight away.

I think the asbestos fuse was the only problem because I got the first smart meter appointment really quickly.  When it was aborted due to the abestos fuse, I presume their computer system put some sort of bar on future appointments.  Now the main fuse is replaced, the bar should be removed.  I just assumed it would happen quickly eg an overnight update or something like that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s the industry for you. :)

You might be able to talk to OVO now and see what they say. Otherwise, you’ll need to wait.

Userlevel 1

A final update on this.  I spent nearly 4 weeks trying to get Ovo to give me a smart meter appointment but it looked like they never could remove the software block on my account - it seemed like they didn't know how or they couldn't find the right person to do it or something???? I really don't know.

I checked with UKPN in case the problem was at their end eg in case they hadn't notified Ovo that that they had done the installation of the main fuse but they assured me they had. 

In the end I changed energy companies and went to Octopus - changing energy companies was very easy and only took a couple of days. With Octopus it was super easy to get a smart meter!  

Userlevel 7

Hey @RedCow,

Thank you for your update, yes it sounds like maybe the previous engineer appointment on your account that was aborted was maybe not removed?

Either way, I’m sorry for the issue you had but I’m glad to hear you now finally have a smart meter! 🙂