Solved

Smart meter not communicating - how long will I be waiting for a fix?

• 17 March 2019
  • 76 replies

Show first post

76 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

meter suddenly stopped sending readings.   I have given up waiting and checked meter today - WAN and  HAN both flash every 5 secs so communication looks good?     Any ideas?

Also IHD still showing updated April prices - how do i change these?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi

Worth trying one of the ofgem regulated 3rd party apps. For example 

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

https://loop.homes/

That way you can see if it is an OVO specific issue

Useful background on 3rd party apps

Also check this page to see when daily readings stopped

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/gas

When working you should see something like this with a daily reading with the word smart next to it.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks jeffus gonna look at the apps shortly - yes daily stopped 5may., saying (smart)

And yes i did change my readings.   I choose monthly when i got made appointment for meter to be installed.  I then changed to half hour on the app.   Then then worked for about 9 days then just stopped.

So im not the only one with this problem

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have downloaded the apps and they dont pick up any data so i guess thats that.    If i

contact OVO are they able to turn anything off/on their side to reboot?  

Userlevel 6

Hey @TD12345, @jasonmturner 

Sorry to hear you’re both still experiencing issues with the meters.

The Support Team can run some tests remotely to check on the meter and how well it’s communicating with us, if at all, so it’s definitely worth getting in touch with them if you’ve not done so already.

You can also submit a smart meter health check directly to the team through the link below for your meter, and they can look into those details to remotely try and fix any issues. 

Do keep us updated with how you get on as it may be helpful for other who may have a similar experience.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi @Abby_OVO, I’ve been having similar problems to @TD12345, but in my case both the WAN and HAN lights went off altogether on 28th June.  I waited a week or so to see if the problem cleared itself. I thought it might be connected to problems around the price cap change.

I tried to use the online form to report direct to the Smart Team but it does not cater for such a situation, and only allows options of On or Flashing for the HAN (Step 3 of 10):

I then got stuck in a long wearisome saga of trying to explain the problem through the normal help channels. I won’t bore you with the details, but I only got a case number for the Smart Team this morning, 2 months after the problem surfaced.

Can I suggest that the online form needs to be tweaked to give a third option of HAN lights are OFF?

Userlevel 7

Hey @kopweb,

Really sorry your issue is on-going, you’ve done the right thing raising this to support. 

I’ll pass this feedback onto the team responsible for the online form. 

BRITISH Gas originally supplied my Smart Meter. They could not get it to work. Later OVO electrician came round and connected the Smart Meter that BG could not get to work and as far as Electricity I am smart. So I call BG round again and they still can not get a connection link to work so my GAS is still by reader submission. BG tells me I need to get OVO to allow BG to connect!! Why on earth should OVO be involved? The Smart Meter is installed . OVO are connected but BG technicians can not connect. How do I get this resolved. Why should I be chasing OVO for BG. Any suggestions? You 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @bray55 ,

For a Forum Volunteer such as myself to advise, we need to see what you’ve got.

Please provide photos of your meters and IHD.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @bray55 Out of curiosity have you thought about having your gas and electricity from the same supplier in the past? 

If BG does not get their act together it might come to that. The slight niggle is BG direct debit billing on my submitted meter readings is for actual usage. OVO will not do this and take an estimated annual usage monthly figure which in summer is way more but I suppose balances out come winter. Might have to do this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

This entire setup is SMETS2. OVO doesn’t need to be involved to commission the gas meter.

Userlevel 7

Hey @bray55,

Blastoise is right, second generation smart meters should be compatible with all providers.

Keep us posted how you get on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If BG does not get their act together it might come to that. The slight niggle is BG direct debit billing on my submitted meter readings is for actual usage. OVO will not do this and take an estimated annual usage monthly figure which in summer is way more but I suppose balances out come winter. Might have to do this.

Have you made any progress @bray55 ?

Afraid my motivation at this time of year is not what it should be. I think I will check OVO gas rates and take the easy route if they prove as good as BG.

I've had a smets2 meter fitted for over a year now and never really thought about why I'm receiving estimated bills. This has never bothered me until I wanted to change to an EV tariff. I then realised that my meter was not sending readings as the wan light was flashing every 2 seconds. However recently a neighbour removed an outbuilding and the meter now has a steady signal flashing at 5 second intervals but when I contact the supplier they say they aren't receiving the readings! I've tried the citizens advice link which was posted on another thread but it says they have no record of a smart meter at that location? Looking for advice on how to get my smart meter working correcly

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @holmesy777 ,

Who is your supplier please?

British gas but looking to move......never been happy with their customer support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see. It may be worth moving to a new supplier first, then get the new supplier to help fix this.

If you want to switch to OVO, you can get a quote via https://switch.ovoenergy.com . I won’t get any commission or kickback if you use this exact link and it’s the same one you’d find on Google. The tool at https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com would then be able to assist you to get help once you’re on-supply.

Thanks......I wondered if switching might help.........I'll give it a go......thankyou.

Good morning.

I received a ridiculously unaffordable bill which was estimated for me to pay. I have been calling since then (about 2months now) I also called yesterday and was told my meter is still not communicating with them and that the complaint handler will give me a call yesterday (a call I never received).It is really becoming depressing and frustrating. I was told the account will be put on hold but apparently not done because I received an email saying an unaffordable amount has be updated as my direct debit. I already have my regrets using OVO. They are not taking this seriously and another painful part of the whole thing is that. Each time I call, I have to explain everything all over again and this is really depressing. I have Sent meter readings, kettle test reading, and about 4 pictures of the meter with same response that the meter is not communicating with them ( took them a whole year to detect that). That is how I was also told they sent an engineer to get a meter readings which is a false statement because my meter is locked away and needs key for someone to access it. 

please I will appreciate if anyone can share in my pain and advice on what to do. Thank you.

Userlevel 3

Hi @Yem, 

I’m really sorry for the issues you’ve been experiencing, that’s definitely not the experience we want for our customers. I’m going to have our Forum_Support team reach out to you so they can help you further with this. Look out for a private message here soon: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview.

Okay. Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Yem 

Also worth downloading one of the ofgem regulated 3rd party apps to see if they can see your meter readings 

That way you if it is an OVO specific issue or a  bigger issue with your meter for example

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/