Solved

Smart meter installed today but no info coming through on the display

• 15 December 2023
  • 10 replies

Hi so I finally got a smart meter installed this morning, but the info isn't coming through on my display? The engineer said it takes about 10 minutes for it to update but its been a few hours now, my display is in my hallway right by my front door so I've left the door open for a bit to try and get signal but with no luck, I've left multiple doors open for a few minutes to see if anything happens but nothing is coming through

I've tried contacting ovo and using the help bot but I'm not getting anywhere and according to my account on the app I haven't got a smart meter installed so I'm not sure how long that takes to update either

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 15 December 2023, 17:18

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @SarJay , it can take a while for everything to get into sync. 
Having the display as physically near your electric meter is helpful but it’s not unusual for the start up to take some time. For your account update and for automatic readings to get through often takes a few weeks

The engineer said it takes about 10 minutes and nothing has happened which is why I was concerned 

I tried unplugging the display to take it closer to the cupboard but if I unplug it it goes off, I'm useless with these things so just wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Which display unit has been left ? It’s usually a Chameleon unit and a v3 or v6. You can usually see on the back or base. 
Some help might be shown here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I’d just leave it plugged in and wait to see if it connects. 10 minutes does sound very quick ! Ignore it till tomorrow at least.

Mines offline as well, happened earlier today and was working fine since install in August.

Definitely an issue with OVO right now and the IHDs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The connection was lost on mine a few days ago, I was distraught - no, really 🤦‍♀️. It sorted itself out after 2 days, I’m with Octopus and those two days of data are missing from my usage graph on their app. 

It's a chameleon v3 and there's no time displayed and the WiFi looking symbol on the top left is flashing, it seems to turn itself off and on again randomly as the lights at the bottom all light up briefly and it comes up with codes on the screen for a few seconds before going back to the main screen where it says waiting for data while the connection symbol flashes 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Here’s a guide for the device which might help

If you want your WiFi connected to it, you will need to go through the menu if the engineer didn’t 

It's a chameleon v3 and there's no time displayed and the WiFi looking symbol on the top left is flashing, it seems to turn itself off and on again randomly as the lights at the bottom all light up briefly and it comes up with codes on the screen for a few seconds before going back to the main screen where it says waiting for data while the connection symbol flashes 

Same symptoms here, mine worked fine for months and yesterday decided to fail. Comms outside look fine as well, so much for this stuff being "Smart" 😂

Userlevel 7

Hey @SarJay,

Any update on this? Has it started working again?