Skip to main content

We received an email form Ovo about having our electricity meter replaced (I assume this is to do with the RTS shutdown) and have booked it to be done next week. At the moment, we have 2 meters as we are on the Total Heating with Total Control (THTC) tariff. One meter is for regular electricity and the other is for heating electricity. We don’t have off-peak or on-peak electricity rates with these meters; rather we have a lower rate for the heating meter and a higher rate for the regular meter.

I am a bit confused about what will need to be done by the engineer. Is it the case that both of the meters will have to be removed and replaced with a single meter? If so, what will happen to our tariff? I have had no notification from Ovo about the tariff changing  and we would prefer to stay on the THTC tariff anyway.

Also, will it have to be a smart meter as I have seen so much much bad press about them lately that I would prefer to avoid them if possible.

Hi @Mdon2024 ,

If you’ve not been told about a tariff change, you’re probably staying on THTC. You’d know if you were being swapped to a new tariff as you’d have been told about your options while booking the meter exchange.

The new meter will be a Smart Meter because that’s all that’s out there these days. Suppliers are legally required to fit Smart Meters by default now and no stocks or Traditional Meters remain. The engineer will take care of the wiring so that your heating/hot water continues to work though. It’ll be one meter for everything however, making things much, much simpler.

That for replying. So is a single smart meter capable of doing the job of the 2 different meters, separately recording how much regular and heating electricity I am using?

Yup! It can indeed do that.

Also, is it possible to view smart meter readings on the Ovo website to check if they are accurate? At the moment I can view a reading history of estimated and manual readings.

It is, yes. Same as you can now - except they’d be tagged as Smart rather than Manual or Estimated.

OK, thanks for helping.

Hey @Mdon2024,

Amazing to hear that you managed to get booked in so quickly for your meter exchange! @Blastoise186 is correct that your new smart meter will be able to do the task of 2 meters and you can ask the engineer whether they’ll configure the meter or if you need to call and have it done remotely. This is called an ECAUL configuration and it basically means that an extra port on the meter is opened to control any time based heating or tariffs such as economy 7. 

If you have any specific questions about the install and what needs done you can reach out to our Support Team. 

Keep us updated on your progress and if you have any follow up questions!