Solved

Real time usage for a Secure Liberty 100 meter?

Badge

First time asking a question but have been reading the forum Q&A’s for a little while. Some smart people on here! 

I have smart meter (Secure Liberty 100) and wanted to know if there is a way of finding out exact usage in real time? I had a Solar panel and battery install a few weeks back and the Solis app tells me I'm only using Solar and Battery but I’m convinced the “Grid” meter is still drawing power. 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 27 January 2023, 17:37

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Do you have an IHD (in home display) @Prem ?

If so that will give you an indication of any grid power being drawn. If not, you can monitor the readings on the meter over a period to check on the same. 
Your smart meter does track usage and has a history function to report on power usage by day, week, month etc. This guide might help

The solar set up is not as accurate as your meter and so might indeed not be completely correct. For example, there is often a short delay when power is switched on or off meaning that power generated or required has to be supplied/delivered from/to the grid. 
There are a few on here with the same system who may be able to help further. 
Here’s another thread on Solis

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Did I read somewhere that Hillebrand sell a real time monitoring device ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes they do https://www.hildebrand.co.uk/our-products/

You need to choose your meter type

https://shop.glowmarkt.com/products/display-and-cad-combined-for-smart-meter-customers

https://glowmarkt.com/#/faqs/hardware

but a ‘normal’ IHD will show near real time power from the grid as well if you have one linked to your smart meter

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Not sure about the Solar aspect of your question but I use the free Bright app on my phone from Hildebrand Technology - someone else on here mentioned them. 

I found this very good and gives more information than the supplied display gives, with the added advantage that it works anywhere you can connect to the internet. 

If you want to go whole hog, they also sell and inhouse display which is also superior and once purchased opens up further functions on the phone app. I think its about £60.

I hardly use the supplied display.

To complete the picture, I use a plug in power monitor which tells me exactly what each device draws from a given socket. They are about £10 to £15.

Badge

Ive been away and only just seen replies. Thank you :-) 

So Ive been doing some digging on the solar install and configuration. It really needs its own write up so will do that at some point very soon. Others may find it useful! 

Meanwhile, the real time usage from hildebrand looks much better than the standard. Something I will definitely look into. 

I’m in the process of implementing some of the findings and improvements for the solar setup. Ive also got the solar company investigating why my import from the grid isnt matching (or close to) what OVO are reporting I’m using. The difference is massive, OVO reporting 17.5 KWh used and Solis app reporting 5.350 KWh used.  OVO offered to send an engineer but charge £150. Although If they find a fault, they will waive the fee.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I acquired a Hildebrand IHD and have to say it is the best I’ve used. It has some good detail and offers electrical updates every 5 seconds and an addition to the usage graphs which shows use by the minute. 

This has now replaced my ivie bud as my main monitor

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Does it monitor gas usage too ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes but still only with 30 min updates (due to meter battery saving)

Userlevel 7

So Ive been doing some digging on the solar install and configuration. It really needs its own write up so will do that at some point very soon. Others may find it useful! 

yes please @Prem - I’m looking forward to this!

Userlevel 7
Badge

Yes but ...

What CV does it use to calculate the kWh? (Asking for a friend 😉)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes but ...

What CV does it use to calculate the kWh? (Asking for a friend 😉)

😂 .. it’s a direct feed from the meter so it must be whatever the meter has as a default. I might do a few checks once it’s been up and running for a month or so.