Solved

Problems with boiler and power surge following smart meter installation - Why?

Show first post

52 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ah… we crossed in the post!

Userlevel 2

Yes. He said that it looks like debris has gone through the gas pipe and into the boiler itself. 

re the audio component. It’s a zone based amplifier.  It’s made by Nuvo model  is a P100

its effectively a sealed unit amplifier that feeds one room - and is not repairable unfortunately.  It’s definitely the power supply as we have now tested it and it’s supply cable Vs other P100 units.  It’s toast!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I think that piece of debris needs referring to OVO as a Complaint in writing (online or by email).

It doesn’t fall into the usual categories of why customers complain. Rather it’s an important piece of feedback which needs to arrive on the desk of the Area Manager for installers in Surrey area.

This Forum URL should be given so that the engineering team can see what we’ve discussed.

If I was running that team, there’s several aspects of the commissioning I’d like to tighten up for sites whose only gas appliance is a boiler.

• Leave much longer for pipes to be purged.
  • Open up the isolation valve slowly when first letting gas into the new meter; avoid a sudden pressure-wave.
  • Switch boiler on twice with a complete power-off between each run. That is more likely to pick up debris in the pipes
  • Is the photographic evidence adequate to demonstrate that the boiler is fully operational?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hmmm. Nuvo P100 has a Class-D output stage. So that might not like its capacitors having an inrush current.

I wonder if the integral mains on/off switch introduces a soft-start within the internal power supply to avoid this?

If you’ve tested the voltage, then you must’ve had the lid off.  If this were mine I’d be tempted to look on the PSU board for an inline fuse.

In the absolute worst case I’d completely remove the mains-input and instead use a high-quality external power supply unit to deliver the required DC to the main board(s). But that depends on whether your electronics knowledge extends slightly beyond knowing which end of a soldering iron is hot.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries @Siy !

I’m glad we got most of the issues sorted for you. And yup, this forum is a great resource that is also a pretty rare thing in the energy sector. Only a handful of energy suppliers have community forums and we also welcome anyone regardless of your supplier.

Shame about your amplifier though, I hope that it can be sorted out as that’s a pretty expensive looking bit of kit. I’d definitely flag this up with OVO and see what happens from there. It would also be great if you could keep us posted with any progress too. We like to know how things turn out, as it proves useful for the community as a whole.

We’ll be here if you need us again, so feel free to stop by anytime. This thread will also be kept open too, even if it gets marked as solved. :)

Userlevel 2

Thank you.  Will keep you all posted

Userlevel 7

Updated on 03/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Sorry to hear of the issues with your supply following your Smart Meter installation, @Siy. 

Our helpful community members have already given some great advice as to what might be causing the gas flow woes, there is also some helpful advice on how to get this  sorted here -

the power reconnection seemed to cause a power surge and blew an audio component power supply

@PeterR1947 also gives some useful advice in protecting your electrical equipment during a meter exchange - 

When power is switched off to a home, it’s always wise to turn off the main switch and all mcbs/rcds at the consumer unit, then when power is restored turn them back on one at a time.  Also, any devices such as NAS drives, TV set top boxes etc that are normally left on should be turned off before the power is switched off.

If the consume unit switches are left on, there could be quite a surge when power is restored although I personally have never know a component failure occur.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

In addition to what @Jess_OVO has written, I also recommend you go to my earlier link about Surge Arrestors and read what I’ve said about the Type-2 units which I have in my Consumer Unit.

Given the high-quality audio devices you’ve invested in, I don’t think you should be relying on the low-level Type-3 anti-surge devices which are commonly built into socket outlets and extension cables. Even if they act fast enough, their ground-path isn’t adequately rated to dump the excess energy.

OVO engineer came out Monday and replaced my gas meter and put in a new smart meter.  I have had no hot water since and no one will help.  My hot water was absolutely fine until the meter was installed and I’m now 4 days with no hot water.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @LCJennings and welcome to this customer forum. What type of hot water heating do you have? Is it immersion heater using off peak (economy 7) by any chance? Or is it via your gas boiler?

Via gas boiler…. It was absolutely fine until the engineer visit on Monday

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Via gas boiler…. It was absolutely fine until the engineer visit on Monday

What type of boiler is it? If it also provides heating is the heating part still working?

Yes the heating is working although it keeps coming on randomly despite the thermostat being set at 10 and the house is 15.5

It’s a Baxi 600

Hot water temp on display shows increase and you can hear the boiler igniting without issue.  Temp gets to 46.3 and then drops

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hot water temp on display shows increase and you can hear the boiler igniting without issue.  Temp gets to 46.3 and then drops

Presuming the water pressure is ok, have you tried resetting the boiler? Sometimes the electronics has a wobble and doesn’t know what’s what 

Yep, I have reset 3 times a day since Monday.  I have also put all my gas hobs on for 10 mins to push out any air.  Don’t understand why OVO (Boost) won’t help when this is clearly due to the meter change and install.

also the pressure gauge was just below 2 (mm from the red) and this has never been the case.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have you re-pressured the system? (There’s a water top up needed) and are there any fault codes showing? 

There’s also a fault finding bit in the manual 

All checked and also read manual.  Absolutely no error codes and what symbol flashes when water on and just cold water

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sorry but I’m running out of options now. Have you checked that the gas isolation valve is fully open? 

If it is then from what I have searched, there might still be air in the gas pipes

Nope will have a look now

Yep it was in the correct position.

according to OVO it’s my problem and I have to pay for an engineer despite this being their fault

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @LCJennings

Did the engineer show you the system working before he left? 

Nope he turned on the gas hobs and said it’s fine

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Nope he turned on the gas hobs and said it’s fine

They should have checked the gas boiler. Clearly if there is no hot water they didn't do it as you say. That would have been the most simple check. You could point out the link to this page to OVO and see what they say. 

I suspect also there are regulations, including health and safety regulations about checking these appliances after an Installation. 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/smart-meter-installation

Final checks

If you're having a gas meter installed, the engineer will check your larger gas appliances to make sure your gas supply is flowing properly.