Solved

No Smart Meter readings for a week- Upgraded to S2

Userlevel 4

I've just noticed that my meter hasn't been sending readings since 24th May. It was an OVO-fitted SMETS1 that had the upgrade to allow it to be "almost" fully SMART. Any ideas why there's no readings being sent, and other than swearing at it is there anything I can do? Kinda making the entire idea worthless if I've gotta keep sending readings again.

Any issues on the network that I should be aware of that may be causing this?

icon

Best answer by Jeffus 30 May 2023, 15:24

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If you haven't already, you could try one of the ofgem regulated 3rd party apps to see if they can see the data

https://hugoenergyapp.co.uk/

https://loop.homes/

https://glowmarkt.com/#/bright

Often these companies can tell you if there are issues with your meter connection if you ask. 

With the Bright app, you can also sign up for automatic system incident messages which often prompt when there are issues with the smart meter network. 

This is a typical alert:

Hello xxxx

Due to DCC unavailable due to system maintenance on 28 Jun 2023, there will be a disruption to the following services:

• Bright Services
  • Smart Meter Data Services

See live updates here

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,--

The Hildebrand and Glowmarkt Team

Userlevel 4

@Jeffus Neither Loop nor Ivie have received any readings for the same period. The Ivie IHD is connected to the meters just fine so they're physically working, just not reporting on the network 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Have you tried the tool at https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com by any chance?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jeffus Neither Loop nor Ivie have received any readings for the same period. The Ivie IHD is connected to the meters just fine so they're physically working, just not reporting on the network 

So not ovo specific which is sometimes the case. 

You could check with your neighbours to see if it is a local issue. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

So far, this is starting to sound like a possible WAN outage. If you can try to ask say, five neighbours, that would help support or dismiss this theory.

Userlevel 4

@Jeffus @Blastoise186 

Thanks for the tips. I'll check the tool when I get in from work, about 22:00 since I can't see the lights status right mow. To the best of my knowledge none of our neighbours are on smart meter so unable to ask any of those. 

because Ivie IHD has been working I hadn't thought to log in , so only just noticed no historical data for the last week, with the warning symbol "please send us a reading" on my dashboard.

Userlevel 4

Update… (electric meter only at this point)

WAN light flashing, HAN light off so can't complete the test tool since it only gives options for flashing or on. 

Userlevel 4

@Jeffus @Blastoise186 

I am currently in a state of shock, and truthfully expecting it not to go according to plan but there is a further update.

I contacted OVO support today and apparently due to my meters being "older smart meters" they will need to be upgraded. So I currently have an appointment for them to come an exchange the meters for new ones. I didn't think they were doing these sorts of appointment at the moment. So with my luck I fully expect to be contacted to be told it's cancelled.

Userlevel 7

What’s your smart meter type, @GrumpyTrucker? If it’s not too much bother, have a look at the yellow sticker on the front of the electricity meter to see the date it was fitted...

Userlevel 4

What’s your smart meter type, @GrumpyTrucker? If it’s not too much both, have a look at the yellow sticker on the front of the electricity meter to see the date it was fitted...

At work at the minute Tim, but they were first generation SMART meters, one of the initial roll-outs OVO did. It was paired with a Pipit Secure IHD and the electric meter has the red and blue A B buttons under a keypad. They were software upgraded a while ago to be compared with the new communication systems. It's been a few years since they were fitted, that's for sure.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Jeffus @Blastoise186 

I am currently in a state of shock, and truthfully expecting it not to go according to plan but there is a further update.

I contacted OVO support today and apparently due to my meters being "older smart meters" they will need to be upgraded. So I currently have an appointment for them to come an exchange the meters for new ones. I didn't think they were doing these sorts of appointment at the moment. So with my luck I fully expect to be contacted to be told it's cancelled.

Fingers crossed @GrumpyTrucker

Am sure you already know, just a reminder it can take 6 weeks for the readings from your new meter to appear on your account. It does vary, mine was very quick. 

Userlevel 4

@Jeffus Fingers crossed indeed. From memory - and at my age that takes some doing these days - I think my readings from these Meyers were in my account after 24 hours, certainly no more than 48 anyway.

Userlevel 4

@Tim_OVO Further to yesterday, the install date of the smart meters was October 2017. Both are Liberty meters, 100 and EG4.

Received a text today saying that due to unexpected unavailability of engineers my swap would have to be rearranged. Which I've done, but I'm not holding my breath on it not being rearranged again. At the very least though I've got just under 4 weeks of sending manual readings ahead of me. 😢😢

Userlevel 7

It does sound like your first generation smart meter has an issue connecting to the main network used by second generation, and first generation+ smart meters. In these circumstances we do replace them with the latest smart meter. 

Fingers crossed for that appointment next month, @GrumpyTrucker!

Userlevel 4

@Tim_OVO Thanks for that extra info. Just unfortunate it's worked fine til last week. I'll say this though, I know a lot of people moan about smart meters and how they'll be used going forward, but I'd forgotten how inconvenient it was doing manual readings 🤣🤣 

Userlevel 4

@Tim_OVO @Blastoise186 

Sorry to bother you guys but I have a dilemma now. 2 days ago my smart meters suddenly started communicating again with OVO and the DCC network. They were offline for a total of about 12 days. The smart meter exchange is still booked for the 27th, but I'm wondering now what will happen if he turns up and they're now working fine. Will they still get changed? Will I be charged for unnecessary appointment?

Should I cancel the appointment since they're now working again and just contact OVO if they stop again at some point?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’d keep the appointment anyway if it were me. S2 is WAY easier to diagnose than S1 and is on average, more secure and more reliable. You won’t be charged if you keep the appointment.

Userlevel 4

Good to know. I'll keep the appointment then. Being honest, having lost connection once I guess there's nothing saying it won't happen again.