Solved

Night readings on smart meter - How do I find them?

• 29 September 2017
  • 12 replies

Prior to having my smart meter fitted on September 20th my old meter showed one window for day and one for night readings. I am on Economy 7, have night storage heaters and try to use the cheaper nighttime rate wherever possible. The installation engineer removed the ancient looking clock which dictated when the night rate cut in.
My new meter however only gives me the opportunity to submit one daytime rate which I assume will eventually be submitted automatically. Can you assure me that I am still on Economy 7 and let me know how I will be able to forward readings?

icon

Best answer by stateofit 30 September 2017, 19:35

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 3

Updated on 13/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Having smart meters installed means you shouldn’t need to take regular readings, as the meter will send these to us automatically. If you do need to take the readings you will need to press certain buttons on your meter to show both your day and night readings on the LCD screen.

The method of reading your meter will depend on which smart meter type you’ve got installed. To take a dual (day/night) reading for Secure Liberty 110 S1 smart meters (which are designed to work best with storage heaters), press 9 on the meter’s keypad. If you’ve got a Secure Liberty 100 S1 smart meter, press 6 to confirm the Day and Night meter readings (pressing 9 will show the reading if you’re a single rate member with this meter).

If you’ve got an Aclara S2 smart meters, Press the ‘A’ button on the meter, this will show both readings alongside 'TOU rate 1' and 'TOU rate 2'.

Not sure which reading is which? Check out this helpful topic.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Thanks for your quick reply. I can see the day reading by hitting the 6 button but not the night rate reading. This leads me to believe that I have been put on to the standard rate, especially as I have not been given the opportunity to forward my night reading when I'm asked to forward readings. Also I am going to have to get the meter moved to a lower position on the meter boardas it's not as easy to read the smart meter as the previous digital one.
Userlevel 5
Thanks for your quick reply. I can see the day reading by hitting the 6 button but not the night rate reading. This leads me to believe that I have been put on to the standard rate, especially as I have not been given the opportunity to forward my night reading when I'm asked to forward readings. Also I am going to have to get the meter moved to a lower position on the meter boardas it's not as easy to read the smart meter as the previous digital one.

Hey Ferrymaster,

This OVO answers article shows you how to take a reading for your economy 7 smart meter: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/smart-technology/smart-meters/how-do-i-take-a-reading-on-my-smart-meter.html.

More information on moving your meter can be found here: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/energy/energy-supply/your-energy-meter/move-your-gas-or-electricity-meter/.

Lucy
So six months after joining OVO my smart meter still does not communicate with the company, despite insistence that it would when I joined.

I'm being asked to provide regular meter readings - but my smart meter does not give me the two numbers I need for my online account as I am on Economy 7.

I have tried looking on the unit where the original meter is but again I only get one number. How can I find out the two readings?
Userlevel 5
Hey @readjono - I've moved your post over here, you should be able to find the info you need above ☝🏼

I have the same issue. You guys are not upto date on things as my meter doesn’t have a numeric pad. As Readjonos meter was fitting in the same time frame as mine I suspect he may have the same issue.  Do your homework Nancy and know your customer base and products please.

This is my meter

https://www.smartme.co.uk/doc/SGM1400-Smart-Meter-Global-Aclara.pdf

Userlevel 5

Hi @krad 

Time frame has nothing to do with it, it’ll depend on the region of the UK in which you live. Unfortunately I can’t see this from the customer forum!

You have a second generation smart meter. You can see your reading by pressing the A button three times.

Cheers

@Nancy_OVO So you are saying ovo is fitting SMETS1 meters after when they are supposed to be??

Userlevel 5

I’m not sure what you mean @krad. 2020 is the cut off point for traditional meters being installed. After this point, if anyone needs a meter exchange (due to fault, re-certification or otherwise), it’ll have to be a smart meter. 

We’re installing SMETS2 in most regions now, but in some SMETS1 are still available too depending on availability.

You appear to be mixing your eggs again. 2020 is when you can no longer count them towards your targets. After March this year they all installations should have been SMETS2, which would have been about when readjono had his installed. Hence me presuming you had given him a bum steer.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2019/03/avro_notice_of_proposal_fo_final.pdf

Userlevel 5

I’m not, @krad

The deadline for installing SMETS1 meters did pass on the 15th of March this year. After this date, suppliers can still install SMETS1 meters but cannot count them towards their installation targets for the year. As such, many suppliers will be mostly installing SMETS2 meters going forward.

If we need to, due to technical issues or no SMETS2 availability, we’re still able to install SMETS1.

But in all probability you are not, so my original comment still stands, the odds are you gave a bad answer.