Solved

My Smart meter installation is incomplete - How can I get a follow-up appointment arranged and avoid estimated bills in the meantime?

• 6 January 2022
  • 1 reply

My smart meters were installed on 21 December but the system was down and could not be completed.  Engineer said another visit would be necessary but I am still waiting to hear from Ovo.  I am now faced with an estimated bill - first time since I signed up with Ovo - and am beginning to wish I hadn't bothered with smart meters at all.

Engineer put a safety warning on my gas fire with instructions not to use until a Gas Safe Engineer had checked it.  This I did and there was nothing wrong with the fire.  Cost me £30 so not happy about this either.

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 7 January 2022, 13:06

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Updated on 21/07/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Exciting news, we’re looking into ways in which we can remotely commission Smart Meters! Keep an eye on Topics like this one, we’ll update you once this process has been updated! 

Currently, if a customer's smart meter is left uncommissioned onsite by an engineer and there is Wide Area Network, it’s up to the customer to notice and contact OVO to get it sorted. 

For any meters we can’t commission at all, we’ll investigate and, if necessary, contact the customer advising they’ll need to book an exchange.

I’m so sorry to hear of the challenges you’ve both faced following your smart meter installations, @pollyhallett  and @JLHG.

As I outlined in this related topic - this sounds like a smart meter commissioning issue which does require another engineers visit to get sorted. If you haven’t already I’d recommend reaching out to the Support Team (as @Blastoise186 has so expertly called out the quickest means of contact is often our Live Chat which you can find a link to here) who can help get this follow-up appointment arranged.

It’s worth mentioning that in the meantime your smart meter will still be clocking your usage and you can continue to take a manual reading from your meter and submitting these on your online account, much as you would with your traditional meter. For more advice on how to take a meter reading from your new smart meter check out this related topic.

I’m hoping this information helps get things back on track for you both quickly. As you’ve mentioned taking this issue to the Energy ombudsman, I’d recommend checking out our complaints procedure here - Once a complaint is raised with us directly we’ll do our best to get things resolved internally first, if we’re not able to offer a solution you’re happy with after 8 weeks from the initial complaint being raised you are then issued a letter of deadlock which would allow you to take this to the ombudsman for independent review. Hoping we’re able to get things resolved for your both before this point is reached. :slight_smile: