Solved

My smart gas meter isn't communicating with OVO anymore - no readings - why?

Show first post

110 replies

Hi it says smart meter connected if so why am I getting an estimated gas bill here is photo on the OVO website

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That meter number for the gas is your old one. It hasn’t been updated to your new meter

Yes that’s what my neighbour said how do I sort it it out thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, the MSN appears to be correct. But I’m still trying to think what to suggest

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Actually, the MSN appears to be correct. But I’m still trying to think what to suggest

The 7322441 number is from the replaced meter if you look at the yellow label. Not sure how this gets updated to the new one

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmm… True… I suspect it’s not been registered properly in that case.

That’s what I thought trying to get hold of someone is impossible then to explain it 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

We might need some extra help here @Parfi1959 

@Emmanuelle_OVO can you advise the best contact here? A gas meter, s/n not updated on the customer account therefore not supplying readings. 
Smart meter checks result is ok and registered on DCC system.
If customer sends manual readings they will be logged against the wrong previous readings so not sure what to suggest

Userlevel 7

Superb troubleshooting and diagnosing here, OVO Forum PZH’s. 

Hi @Parfi1959 I think they’ve worked out the issue, could you share the link to this topic with our Support team on web chat so they can read it and understand exactly, without you having to type anything else? Follow this link and select web chat.  

Here’s the URL to copy and paste into the chat box: 

Hi thank you can I do it on wattsapp 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup, that works too. You’ll find the link on the same page as the live chat.

Going out of my mind forwarded the link and they are asking me the same questions I answered yesterday I really appreciate your help but this is a joke now 

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear this, @Parfi1959 - I’d like to get some feedback passed on to the advisor, and also get the right actions taken on your account. I’ve asked our Forum_Support team to send you a private message today to take some account details and get this done.  

Thank you 

My smart meter has not worked for years I am always being asked for readings despite being singed up for PSR due to the fact I have issues with my eye sight and can't readily read the numbers, I had to ask a passer by the other day to read the meters for me which isn't a good idea. I have made loads of request to OVO give me a new meter their response is “I can't have one”. The help from this forum has been great, but it dose not  get through to OVO there seems to be a disconnect between them and me. I have done all I can to help them, the last response was about 3 months ago after I completed the ten point check form this was the third form in as many years, response was we’ll get back to you ! still waiting OVO.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Pegasus and thanks for flagging this one. 

I’m sorry to hear of this experience. You’re able to arrange a free engineer to visit to read your meter every quarter via the priority services register (PSR). To arrange this, please have a web chat with our Support team. Whilst you’re at it, it’s a great time to chase up your non-communicating smart meter. It’s tricky to advise on this as it could be any number of things that’s preventing the readings getting sent remotely. In a lot of cases there isn’t always a solution we can put in place. At the very least your meter would behave like it did before the smart meter was fitted and it needs to be read manually. That’s where the PSR comes in handy for you! 

There is no any gas reading updated since End Nov 2022 at my App, but that of electricity keeps updated every day.

Tried to call CS before and they told me that they received the readings with no problem, but the gas readings keep “0” for 3 and more months and they still think that it has no problem. So what can I do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have you looked at your gas meter itself @echow to check its readings? You can then update manually if needed. If the meter is not updating itself, you will need to ask for a meter swap (or battery change)

Userlevel 7

Hey @echow,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

Id try and take a manual reading from your gas meter, if it reads as ‘0’, as suggested by @BPLightlog this may mean your meter is faulty and needs replacing. You’ll need to contact Support to book in a faulty meter exchange. There is more information on this topic in this handy Tutorial:

Hope this helps. 

I found the meter works and shows the reading as End Nov 2022…. Or I can simply ignore it? It is annoying as I just want to pay the correct bill and this company seems not to be interested….

Userlevel 7

Hey @echow,

Sorry I’m not sure what you mean by the reading showing as ‘end of nov 2022’.

Are you able to upload to this thread a photo displaying the reading on your meter and a screenshot of your meter readings page on the Online Account?

Another thought is that your meter details may not have been updated following your smart meter exchange. Does the meter serial number listed on your online account and bills match the one on your meter?

We can take a look into this for you. 

The gas reading keep unchanged since End Oct 2022. That’s meant we use the gas with no charge 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can be back-billed for usage @echow so it’s best to get the meter changed. It may also go ‘off-line’ if it gets worse so you might end up with no gas supply. 
Contact support for a faulty meter exchange as @Emmanuelle_OVO suggested https://help.ovoenergy.com/

anyone else had a lack of usage readings this week. They claim its my online account but my daughter 40 miles away getting same thing.

Userlevel 2

you are not alone OVO Is very good saying it is your equipment, what it is really saying is the “Tech team” are not very good at sorting their problems out my account has not had any gas usage for the last 3 days spoke with them and told by them remove app reinsert and try again still the same.  You know it is going to take their “Tech Team” a lot more time to sort out and post it to their website. In the meantime you are left wondering if they are going to hit you with exorbitant monies owing.