Loss of Gas Supply Following Transfer to OVO

• 4 January 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi All

I’m looking for help and advice in getting an issue resolved that is currently on day 2 with no resolution.

I’ve transferred from British Gas to OVO on 02/01/24. I was a prepayment customer (Pay as you go) with British Gas and applied and was accepted as a pay monthly customer with OVO. I have smart meters for both Gas and Electricity. 

Unbeknownst to me, My Gas Smart Meter stopped functioning correctly prior to the switch, the meter stopped communication with the network and would not receive payments from British Gas. When I have switched to OVO the meter should have switched to a Credit setting as opposed to Pay as you Go. Because there is a communication issue with the meter this means it is now stuck in Pay as you Go mode. I have no way to top up the meter with British Gas anymore as the supply has transferred, and I have now way to top up with OVO because they have me as a pay monthly customer. I am now completely off supply for Gas as the remaining credit for the meter has run out. 

The only way to resolve this issue would be with an Emergency Meter Exchange. I requested this originally on 03/01/24. I was told the first time I called that and Engineer had been booked. This turned out to be incorrect. I called again in the afternoon and a helpful advisor told me he would deal with this. He called me back with a booking reference and said the engineer would be here in 4 hours. No engineer arrived. By this time, customer services were closed. 

I called again this morning (04/01/24) and explained the issue, another advisor booked an engineer for me, only for said engineer to arrive and me to find out that he was booked as a Pay as you Go top up issue. He took one look at my meters and said “these are smart meters, I can’t help here, they should have known” and advised me he could not swap the meter and I would need to request another engineer visit. I called back immediately and was told by another advisor they would get this done. I was on the phone with them for 2 hours before they hung up. I called back Again and got a new appointment booked. This was around 2pm. The advisor assured me they had booked the appointment as an Emergency Meter Exchange for a Pay Monthly Customer off supply for gas. I then waited until just before customer services closed, called again to double check that the appointment had been booked, and they confirmed yes it had. 

It is now 7:37 PM and once again I have not received my engineer visit. I am still without Gas after 2 days. My question is, How do I go about getting this resolved?

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @Matt0807,

I’m so sorry to hear this, 

If your meters are pay as you go, you’d need to switch to OVO as pay as you go otherwise the meters would go off supply. 

However, as you have smart meters, the support team should be able to remotely change your meters to pay monthly to ensure you come back on supply. As we do offer the change from pay as you go to pay monthly. This shouldn’t need an emergency meter exchange. 

It’s tricky to know who to call, have you been getting letters from ‘OVO’ or ‘Boost’ or ‘OVO PAYG’? If your letters and account number are with OVO i’d call their support team to request the switch, it may be that they transfer you through to another team. 

My account is set up with OVO directly. My meter needs an emergency swap because it has stopped communicating with the network. You cannot remotely switch it to credit. I am off supply which is why I need the emergency meter exchange.

I’ve also been communicating repeatedly with customer services for the past 3 days trying to get this resolved. I’ve had multiple meter exchange appointments booked but none of them have turned up. 

Userlevel 7

I’m sorry to hear this @Matt0807, I’ll get Forum_Support to reach out. Please keep an eye on your private messages. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please keep an eye on https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview to find any incoming PM’s. You should also get an email when one arrives.

We're now at 4 missed emergency engineer appointments. That's 1 on Wednesday 03/01/2024, 1 on Thursday 04/01/2024 and 2 on Friday 05/01/2024. By my calculation that's £30 per appointment for compensation and that should total £120.00. I still want this issue resolving.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Matt0807 

I’m really sorry to hear about this.

Have you managed to get this sorted yet? If not, we’d suggest contacting the Support Team again for another appointment, and have them also ensure you get those compensation amounts.

Let us know how you get on.