Solved

I have a SMETS1 Landis+Gyr smart meter and Trilliant comms hub from British Gas - Can I get an OVO Aclara SMETS 2 smart meter fitted?

• 12 December 2020
  • 74 replies

Show first post

74 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @Tedbarn

Ā 

Can I ask if thereā€™s an update with your meter set up? Are we able to replace them with OVOā€™s S2 smart meters?Ā 

Ā 

Iā€™m seeing lots of traffic to Trilliant topics here so I think thereā€™s a lot of people in your positionā€¦..

Userlevel 3

Hello Tim,

No update I'm afraid and my meter setup remains the same.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Iā€™ve just had a bit of a genius idea.

Since Iā€™ve had absolutely no luck at all trying to dig up info about these Trilliant hubs the normal way, Iā€™m going to try a few magic tricks.

Leave it with me.

Userlevel 3

UPDATE

Today my smart electricity meter was replaced and we now have a shiny new one

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Oh yeah! Thatā€™s MUCH nicerĀ @TedbarnĀ ! And itā€™s an Aclara SGM1411-B (aka Raichu!) as well I see. Aclara happens to be my preferred meter brand and I think itā€™s also the one that pretty much all the volunteers and moderators here prefer. So much easier to read!

It also auto-scrolls as well, so you donā€™t even need to touch it to get a reading unless you want to fire up the backlight.Ā :wink:

Userlevel 3

It is much nicer! Do you know when I will be able to view the meter readings using the app or do I have to do something first to set this up?

It was a disappointment our gas meter could not be changed at the same time but hopefully this will be possible in the near future.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Sure, I do indeed.

As youā€™ve now got a shiny new SMETS2 meter, itā€™ll take roughly six to eight weeks for the commissioning process to go through. In the meantime, your IHDĀ will NOT show accurate data yet, so please check the meter itself if you need to grab a reading. Once the meter is fully commissioned, the IHD will start working as well as the app and online account. You wonā€™t need to do anything else, itā€™s all done in the background from here.

If the engineer didnā€™t give you a new Chameleon IHD6, feel free to have a chat with the Support Team and theyā€™ll pop one in the post. Iā€™m afraid the existing one that you used withĀ the SMETS1 L+G meters wonā€™t work with a SMETS2 setup.

And yep, hopefully the gas meter can be upgraded soon too. The engineer will get that paired up to your HAN once itā€™s upgraded. :)

Enjoy!

Userlevel 3

Thanks very much @Blastoise186Ā !Ā 

It is a ChameleonĀ IHD6 and the overview we were given was brief to say the least consisting of "press this button to see the usage for the day, week etc".

We need a smaller SSE gas meter because of the location of a gas pipe and the engineer said he made a note of this so hopefully not long to wait šŸ¤ž

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Gotcha! Sounds good then @TedbarnĀ . Hopefully that will be arranged soon then. Given your electricity meter is now SMETS2, the gas meter will also have to be SMETS2 as well. Thereā€™s no option to have one as S2 and the other S1.

As for the IHD, would you like the good news? I just so happen to have an IHD6 myself, which I currently use mainly for forum purposes here and weā€™ve got a whole bunch of guides that can help you learn the ropes with it. Iā€™d also recommend connecting it to your Wi-Fi as well if you can - preferably via the password method - as that will allow it to grab any firmware updates from Chameleon Technology when they get released. And Iā€™m pretty confident that Chameleon are going to release some soon. :)

However, if you do need a hand, feel free to give us a shout here, weā€™ll happily talk you through it. The engineer probably couldnā€™t give you the full demo due to COVID-19 rules, but they would normally give you a full tour if it wasnā€™t for all these lockdowns.

Userlevel 3

@Blastoise186Ā  please can you tell me a bit more about the implications of "Thereā€™s no option to have one as S2 and the other S1"?

Please may I ask for a link to your guides?

ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹I'll get the WiFi setup tomorrow šŸ˜Š

Ā 

ā€‹ā€‹ā€‹

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Your wish is my command O Master of the Lamp @TedbarnĀ .Ā Waves a magic wand.

Check out this guide here which is for the Chameleon IHD6-CAD-PPMID.

Thereā€™s also a more general user guide that Chameleon Technology provides too. I might consider writing my own version at some point. I might as well make use of Kecleon since I have it anyway! I want to beat the one that OVO does for quality!

The way that SMETS1 and SMETS2 meters/IHDs work means that theyā€™re actually not compatible with each other. Iā€™ve tried to get Kecleon to work with Pikachu (my SMETS1 Aclara SGM1311) and they didnā€™t like each other very muchā€¦Ā And kinda refused to talk at all. Itā€™s partially because they use slightly different comms which donā€™t play well with the other type.

SMETS1 hardware only works with SMETS1 hardware, and SMETS2 hardware only works with SMETS2 hardware.

Thereā€™s also some good reasons why Iā€™m excited for the upcoming firmware updates, but Iā€™m afraid I canā€™t tell you what they are. I just have a good feeling.

Userlevel 3

@Blastoise186Ā O Master of the Lamp has a nice ring to it šŸ¤£

Right so dumb question of the day, if SMETS1 and SMETS2 meters are not compatible with it each what does that practically mean for me as a customer/user? Does it just mean we still have to provide gas meter readings?

Thanks very much for the links, I'll take a look when I start going through the settings tomorrow

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries @TedbarnĀ . And yes, it does.Ā :wink:Ā My sense of humour knows no bounds, but unlike most genies, at least I donā€™t summon magic carpets that randomly crash into the floor if you use them too much...

For now, yes you will need to submit manual readings for both gas and electricity. Once your new electricity meter goes live and starts to submit smart readings, youā€™ll only need to carry on doing manual gas readings. That is unless the gas meter gets replaced before then of course, which may cause both to go live at once. However, I suspect itā€™ll be six weeks before the gas meter can be upgraded, since thereā€™ll be no comms at all before then.

Once the gas meter is switched out and the new one goes live, you should get back to fully automated everything again. :)

And donā€™t worry, you canā€™t break the IHD6 that easily. Unless you happen to be me that is! Iā€™ve really managed to stress test Kecleon very nicely and gotten a few bugs out of it, but itā€™s still in perfect shape so can be used as if itā€™s never been touched. Which is good because Iā€™m getting Pikachu swapped out with Raichu soon as Iā€™m also upgrading to full SMETS2 hardware.

Userlevel 3

Ha ha!! You have a cracking sense of humour and we should try to avoid crashing magic carpets as much as possible šŸ˜‰

Thanks for taking the time to explain this. Even if the gas meter is not changed for a long time it is not much of a problem as it is easily accessible... unlike the electricity meter.

No chance of me stress testing it or hopefully breaking it - just want to take a look at the settings when I'm at home.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hehehe, I really need to invent magic carpet seatbelts and airbags one of these daysā€¦Ā Maybe I should patent them tooā€¦

But yeah. The settings on an IHD6 are actually fairly simple as thereā€™s not many of them. Aside from setting budgets to get alerts about spending, the main settings relate to Wi-Fi (which is self-explanatory), Night Mode (which I definitely recommend turning on as it dims the display overnight), the language (English is default, but you can also do Welsh if you prefer), Brightness (Level 3 is usually fine), Alerts & Tones (to control whether it makes audible tones for alerts) and Home Screen (which lets you pick how you want the graphs to be displayed). And the option to get it paired up to your meters of course.

Thereā€™s not much else really. Theyā€™re pretty simple to use!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

And yesā€¦Ā I really do call mine Kecleon!Ā :stuck_out_tongue:

Hehehe! Sadly the Device Fingerprinting feature hasnā€™t yet learnt to recognise the IHD6

Ā 

Userlevel 3

Don't forget the magic carpet dash cam šŸ˜‰

Sounds simple enough - thanks again

Userlevel 7

Nice to see you managed to get your electricity meter replaced, @TedbarnĀ (or should I say O Master of the Lamp!)

Ā 

As @Blastoise186Ā has already mentioned it can take 6 weeks for details of you new meter to be updated on your online account, so not to worry if weā€™re still asking you to submit meter readings at this point.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā Even if the gas meter is not changed for a long time it is not much of a problem as it is easily accessible... unlike the electricity meter.

Ā 

Glad you are able to read the gas meter easily as you will still have to submit these readings manually for the time being. As the engineer mentionedĀ issues preventing the replacement of your gas meter it might be worth giving the Support TeamĀ a call, as they will be able to access the job report and advise on the next steps to getting a compatible gas smart meter too!

Userlevel 3

Thanks @Jess_OVOĀ (I will actually respond to either!!)

I'm sure the next six weeks will fly by.

I used the online chat to communicate with the support team and must admit the advice was not at all helpful and I should not have been advice about the possibility of a smaller SSE smart gas meter and there is no time frame.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thatā€™s curious.

It seems thereā€™s a few wires getting crossed, but we donā€™t give up that easily. Time to playĀ my Joker Card.

Could you show us some snaps of your gas meter @TedbarnĀ ? Iā€™m curious to see how much space there is around the existing one.

Userlevel 3

Stuck in a meeting at the moment but will take a photo when I can.

It does not surprise me space is an issue as the gas pipe runs under the meter. The Ovo meter installer did get the Ovo meter out of his van to see if it would fit and it sadly did not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks!

Itā€™s possible that there might not be enough space forĀ the usualĀ S2Ā UniFlo diaphragm gas meters, but OVO might be able to squeeze in something like an S2 Flonidan SciFlo Ultrasonic, like this one.

Given that these SciFlo ones can apparently be easier to fit with semi-concealed meter boxes, it makes me wonder why theyā€™re not used more often...

Userlevel 3

I was essentially advised by the support team that the engineer can only fit the meter he had available and there are not other options for Ovo and if the meter is too large I may have to pay someone to move it somewhere else before another installation attempt may be made.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmmā€¦Ā Iā€™m not convinced myself. There are options that exist, so I wonder if someone didnā€™t have the right info handy.

I can understand not being able to fit the new meter if the engineer didnā€™t have a smaller one on the day though, but this sort of thing surely has better options that arenā€™t as disruptive.

Let me see if @Jess_OVOĀ and @Tim_OVOĀ can pull a few strings, while I keep digging deeper. Sorry for the trouble!

Userlevel 3

I did wonder the same especially as the engineer installing the meter was the one who advised smaller meters are on the way.

Thanks so much again for your help and you have no need to apologise for anything!!