Solved

How do I get a smart meter when I have a 3 phase supply?

• 12 January 2018
  • 61 replies

Show first post

61 replies

On 3/Sep?2020 I succumbed to the incessant e mails from Ovo  to fit a smart meter. This was the a very bad decision. The meter was installed to our 3 phase supply and the engineer said it was a smart meter but didn't have a box we could look at in the home but that the readings would be sent to Ovo . As a result I didn't need to do any thing. After more e mails to have a smart meter I rang Ovo to discover no readings had been received since  August 2020. Since then three engineers have arrived with a smart meter only to say that they couldn't fit it to a 3 phase supply. The dates were 11/1/21  30/3/22 and 30/6/22. It would seem that no one has bothered to put the customer care people in the loop. I have spent a huge amount of time on the telephone and rue the day I ever heard the words smart meter. This is not the fault of the customer care people. I now realise that Ovo have no smart meters to fit to a 3 phase supply. It’s a shame no one bothered to tell  me or the care people.  My last call resulted in a promised call from a resolutions manager within 9 working days of 21/7/22. Being today I look forward to hearing from him tomorrow.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @double diamond

I don't work for ovo, some of us try and help out with a few posts. 

Sorry to hear about your issue, let us know how the call goes. 

Just one thing in case you didn't know, OVO can only back bill you for energy usage for up to 12 months, an ofgem rule. 

So whatever they propose bear in mind the back billing rule. 

Userlevel 1

Your supplier is responsible for fitting any smart metering equipment. In your case it seems OVO overlooked your set-up and should compensate and rectify your situation.

Thank you Brenj and Jeffus. It’s good to have your support. I will keep you posted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thank you Brenj and Jeffus. It’s good to have your support. I will keep you posted.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/check-energy-back-billing-rules

Dear Brenj and Jeffus,

Today I received a call from the advanced resolutions dept and my complaint is now recorded. A further call promised on Friday after their tech teams have been appraised of my issue’s and a plan of action formulated.

Badge

Hi - we have three phase electrics and solar panels. We have been trying to get a smart meter fitted so we can measure consumption but also we are told we ned one to have a Smart Energy deal to feed excess electric back in

We have had one aborted attempt to fit a smart meter  and told they couldnt due to a lack of service but since then we have had one fitted by our gas supplier

We no cant seem to book a smart meter installation - any idea how we can go about getting a smart meter installation now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @s1mon ,

Try getting in touch with OVO via https://help.ovoenergy.com if you can’t get https://smart-booking.ovoenergy.com to work. :)

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear about the experience you’ve had, @s1mon

I know that 3-phase smart meter engineers are few and far between at this point but training and scaling is happening. Our Support team are indeed best placed to help with that re-booking. 

As for the export tariff, it’s the smart export guarantee you want. Here’s a link to the application form

Hi

I usefully have domestic three phase and use the three phases in combo for some equipment - pumps and a car charger.

I have a smart meter visit booked but reading the forums have little confidence that the engineer will arrive with a 3 phase  smart meter.

Should I just let the train hit the inevitable buffers?

it seems cynical but I suspect that fighting the system in advance simply means you go straight into the “too difficult” box and then never get a smart meter. A failed visit by comparison means you are in the system.

real life experience welcomed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I do know that they are fitting polyphase meters now @Cobalteer but they are limited in supply and need an engineer with safety clearance for the higher voltage levels as well. 
It would be useful to know if the appointment is really set for the right equipment