Solved

How are smart meter network issues reported to the Data Communications Company (DCC)?

• 8 March 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

In Feb 2020 I had a smart meter fitted by an OVO engineer that was not functional. After a lot of pleading, complaining and involvement of the Ombudsman 12 months later another OVO engineer visited and changed my Smart Meter. The 2nd Smart meter was also not functional but I was given a reason why - no DCC signal. The engineer left and said it was not OVO’s issue. I contacted DCC and they told me  - “coverage checker shows that there is high coverage at your property. If OVO have installed a Smart Meter at your property that is unable to acquire a signal they should have raised an incident with DCC so it can be investigated.” 

I appear to keep being passed between OVO and DCC, passing the issue between themselves. My main gripe is that I have 27kWh of storage batteries at my property with an electric vehicle which allows me to take advantage of the TOU tariff offered by Octopus, but only if I have a functional Smart meter. My current tariff is 28p/kWh but a Smart meter will reduce this to 8p/kWh. How can I get my Smart meter functional? 

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 9 March 2022, 15:10

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Updated on the 16/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

If you want to find out more about the national enrollment of SMETS1 meters onto the DCC, check out this handy guide we’ve created: 

Sorry to hear the smart meter communication issues you raised here previously weren’t resolved by a replacement meter, @Sean T.

Sounds like the engineer who fitted your replacement meter advised this was due to no Wide-Area Network coverage in your area, in which case this should also have been raised by us to the DCC. I’m checking this exact process with our smart metering experts currently so will pop back when I’ve got more details.

Worth mentioning here that the smart meter network (which already covers the majority of the UK) is continuously improving as more households opt for a SMETS 2 meter with Mesh network capability, allowing the future feasibility of Time-Of-Use tariffs, such as those you mentioned on offer with another supplier. 

Here at OVO we’re currently offering a Type-Of-Use tariff in the form of our OVO Drive Anytime plan. As we capture your EV charging usage via a compatible EV charger, this plan isn’t reliant on a fully functional smart meter so might be one to consider (other eligibility requirements permitting of course).