Question

Electric = Smart, Gas Meter = Dumb

• 17 April 2024
  • 5 replies

Hello,

Due to the distance between the two (10+mtr - the joys of living in a building of flats), OVO just installed the smart electric meter a few years ago due to my meter being old (place was built in 2000). However, they didn’t care about the Gas meter which was the same age…

So, my question is this, will I ever get a smart gas meter. I mean, it is 2024, the technology should’ve improved by now, surely….. It’s the age of my gas meter that is worrying me

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey, welcome back @PalsyP !

Let me do some digging into this. You OK to hang in there for a bit? I need to get some advice so this may take a little time.

This was a more “what happens when it gets too old” scenario, but would be interested if I can  eventually switch to a smart gas meter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s what I’m finding out.

As for the getting too old thing, the most likely issue is that the calibration will get out of line and mess up the billing - or the battery (if it has one) might die and cause the entire meter to fail.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok, I’m back!

This should be possible if you chat with the Support Team. Options like a Dual-Band Comms Hub and/or AltHAN can be retrofitted if needs be - and they can massively boost the range by an absolutely crazy amount if they’re done right.

Userlevel 2

Hi @PalsyP,

I’m sorry to hear this.

It is possible that since your electricity meter was installed, the technology has advanced. What year was your meter fitted? I’d advise contacting our Support team who’d be able to look into this further for you.

These threads may also help: