Solved

Does my In Home Display (IHD) smart meter need to be plugged in all the time?

Does the smart meter need to be plugged in all the time? As soon as I unplug mine it starts to beep practically straight away so is this the way they are meant to be? Cheers JessĀ 

icon

Best answer by nealmurphy 30 July 2022, 12:17

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Jess666Ā 

The in-home display unit has a very short battery life and will therefore need to be plugged in if you wish to use it. This will generally use less than Ā£1 of electricity a year to run.

The display can be useful in working out what appliances are using the most energy. However, your smart meter doesn't require your display unit to be powered on in order to send readings, so you may prefer to unplug the display and use an online account to keep track of your usage.

Hey nealmurphy, thanks for answering my question. I honestly thought that mine was not working properly. I can't believe they have made them in that way, it's not the cost coz like you said its a pound a year but I thought they would of given them at least a few days of charge, I really think its a bad design.i know it's no big issue, I just think its a strange design but who I'm I to say anything.Ā  Thanks again JessĀ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I guess smaller internal battery = cheaper production costs = less overall cost for the smart meter rollout.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

IHDs were designed to run off mains power.Ā 

The idea of the battery was simply as a very short term backup if the power went off for a very short time or if you wanted to move the IHD a short distance.Ā 

I suspect quite a few IHDs end up in landfill at some stage sadly. So having a minimal battery etc has some eco advantages.Ā 

I appreciate all the security and tech issues but non the less it is a shame a mobile app on phones or tablets can't replace the IHDs for real time information. I wonder if all countries have IHDs?Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The idea of mobile apps for real-time data was considered but the NCSC will likely never allow it. Given how many insecure iOS and Android devices exist out there, itā€™s too risky no matter how safe you try to make it. :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The idea of mobile apps for real-time data was considered but the NCSC will likely never allow it. Given how many insecure iOS and Android devices exist out there, itā€™s too risky no matter how safe you try to make it. :(

There was a limited trial of several thousand customers, one of my friends took part. Although obviously a bit of a fudge in terms of technology

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/smart-meters-derogation-guidance-supporting-energy-supplier-applications-for-trials-of-in-home-display-alternatives

The findings in terms of behaviour were not great. The apps were worse in terms of users reducing their energy consumption. This is thought to be due to the always on benefit of the IHD and the average consumer behaviour.Ā 

The government decided against the current mandate of free IHDs for all smart meters based on the trial.

I had my smart meter installed 2 weeks ago. I have charged up my IHD several times for hours at a time, but it does not seem to hold a charge for very long at all. So I need to charge it up each time I want to view the display.

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

A lot of the IHDs have very short battery life and are designed to remain plugged in. The internal battery is generally enough for you to move your display around the house if you want to check usage of individual appliances.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @PamEglĀ ,

Iā€™m afraid the In-Home Displays are only equipped with very small batteries that are intended more for emergency use only than anything else, but you can take them around the house if you want to. Theyā€™re mostly designed to run off the charger and this is by design.

Thank you both for that.Ā 

Disappointing that we have to charge the IHD up every time we want to view it!

I wasnā€™t aware we can check usage of individual appliances - I will need to look into that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

No problem @PamEglĀ 

Just to clarify my previous statement. What I meant by checking usage of individual appliances was that byĀ pressing the ā€˜NOWā€™ button (or similar) on your IHD, youā€™ll be able to see your current energy usage. With this function, you can then see instantly the effects of switching individual appliances on and off.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

For a Chameleon IHD6, IHD7 or an ivie Bud, you can simply tap the grey bar on the home screen a few times until you get to Now. :)

Thanks for the clarifications!

At least youā€™ve got one. I have now 3 times requested an IHD as I didnā€™t get one when I was transferred from SSE. I have had 3 phone calls from OVO saying ā€˜yes, of course, we will send oneā€™ but months down the line thereā€™s no sign of it. The messaging ā€˜serviceā€™ on the so called ā€˜Help Centreā€™ is useless - just says ā€˜redirectingā€™ all the time. The only ā€˜serviceā€™ Iā€™ve got from OVO is monthly price increases - not impressed.Ā 

*Edited by Mod*

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @noelcn101Ā ,

Just so you know, Iā€™m a forum volunteer rather than an OVO employee.

Please be careful about posting personal information on the forum as this is a public space. Iā€™ve asked a moderator to edit your comment to remove it for you.

As for getting an IHD, you might be able to get one faster using the options Iā€™ve researched.

Ā 

Thank you, Iā€™m new to this I didnā€™t realise I was replying to you personally.Ā 

Userlevel 7

Hey @noelcn101,

Ā 

Iā€™ve removed your personal details from this thread.Ā 

Ā 

Iā€™m sorry youā€™ve not yet received your IHD. I have an update on this: -

Ā 

If you have a SMETS1 meter which isnā€™t enrolled on the DCC, you will have to wait until itā€™s enrolled as no further stock of the SMETS1 IHDs are being manufactured.Ā 

Ā 

We have a great guide about this topic:

Ā 

Ā 

If you have a SMETS2 meter, the current timeframe is 1-2 weeks. Weā€™re expecting new models very soon and will be fulfilling backlog.

Ā 

In the meantime, you can see you usage information on the Online Account and App. We have usage graphs, as well as a live billing system:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hope this helps.Ā