Solved

Can my smart meter work out how much I export from my solar panels?

• 18 March 2017
  • 70 replies

Show first post

70 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I had a smart meter installed after getting solar panels and I can confirm it does give the export reading, but with my meter its a bit convoluted having to press a certain button and get the second reading that appears - I'm not sure that applies to all meters fitted, but in my opinion, my meter is hardly "smart". I don't know if the reading would be accessible via a display panel as I was not provided with a display panel and neither have I been offered one, some 2 years after having the smart meter fitted!!!sorry no, the export reading is not shown on the IHD. What it does show after two or three presses is the net use as of "now", though it appears to only register every 20 seconds or so. So for example it might show -877W meaning an export or if I switch the kettle on it might show 1.91kW (it is a 2.5 - 3kw kettle). I cannot see the total exported.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
If I have one of your smart meters and it can measure the amount of power exported from my panels to the Grid, what is the need for all this FIT business!!!!!!!The smart meter can tell what has been exported, but there is no way for it to know how much you have used inside your house. As you get paid for the total you generate, your FIT readings are vital for this.
Maybe one day, there will be smart solar generation meters that also link in to the smart meter system. I'm not holding my breath!
@Tim_OVO@Buster
AARGH! Well, I got part of that wrong...
I have just reported to the FIT Team my change to a Smart Meter. They've told me that they cannot currently extract the data from my Smart Meter, so I have to manually go to the meter and get a reading from it, in addition to the one from my internal solar generation meter. I checked back with them and they have confirmed that it is in future plans but not currently available. It seems I totally misread the FAQ about Smart meters.
I now see a post by @Lucy_OVO 4 days ago saying we have to read it ourselves.
My installer didn't give me an MCS certificate and I have yet to find someone near me in SE London or North Kent who will do that,
If I were you I would get in touch with these people who should be able to sort out your MCS Certificate given they are responsible for the certification process and should be aware that your installers registration lapsed on the date you paid, but the system was fitted whilst they were still registered and so therefore should still be certified.
http://www.microgenerationcertification.org/
Ovo have all my relevant paperwork except this so they can't help, No they won't, they will require the third party certification. then there is the business of how much you get payed according to when you registered ??!! it all seems so convoluted and the National Grid are doing very well out of it!
I only have a small system (2.0kwp) but my last quarterly FIT cheque was close to £100. Depending upon how you deal with this I would think you might even be able to backdate your claim for the FIT payments, it really is worth pursuing.
My installer didn't give me an MCS certificate and I have yet to find someone near me in SE London or North Kent who will do that,
If I were you I would get in touch with these people who should be able to sort out your MCS Certificate given they are responsible for the certification process and should be aware that your installers registration lapsed on the date you paid, but the system was fitted whilst they were still registered and so therefore should still be certified.
http://www.microgenerationcertification.org/
Ovo have all my relevant paperwork except this so they can't help, No they won't, they will require the third party certification. then there is the business of how much you get payed according to when you registered ??!! it all seems so convoluted and the National Grid are doing very well out of it!
I only have a small system (2.0kwp) but my last quarterly FIT cheque was close to £100. Depending upon how you deal with this I would think you might even be able to backdate your claim for the FIT payments, it really is worth pursuing.
There seems to be no relevant Body prepared to do anything about this problem,
The installer has been promising for a whole year to look into it and do something about it,
All the different Bodies I have contacted just pass the buck to each other Even Ofgem.
Does anyone really understand this new industry or are we paying out a lot of money just to be guinea pigs while the Grid and its shareholders are the ones gaining from our investment ?
There seems to be no relevant Body prepared to do anything about this problem,
The installer has been promising for a whole year to look into it and do something about it,

Suggest you take them to the small claims court, they are costing you a great deal of money in lost revenue.
All the different Bodies I have contacted just pass the buck to each other Even Ofgem. I would persist with OFGEM and open a case with the ombudsman.
https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy
Does anyone really understand this new industry or are we paying out a lot of money just to be guinea pigs while the Grid and its shareholders are the ones gaining from our investment ?Not saying you are wrong, I have no doubt the Grid and its shareholders are doing very nicely but you seem to be missing out on a lot of the benefits of these systems. You seem to have paid out a great deal of money for the installation for 'green' credentials but are financially penalised. You really do need to understand the system yourself before you assume no-one else does.
If Ofgem understood the whole picture they would help, if they can't help then I don't see the point of their existence.
If Ofgem understood the whole picture they would help, if they can't help then I don't see the point of their existence.
If you have paid a lot of money to install solar panels and are not claiming your FIT payments then I would respectfully suggest that it is you who do not understand the system and until you do it is unlikely that you will get anywhere with any of the organisations I have previously directed you to. You can criticize as many organisations as you like but until you sort out your own understanding of the system and your rights and responsibilities within that then you are not going to get any further. You need to start with obtaining your MCS certificate, which, in my opinion, shouldn't be too difficult. Until you do that you are not going to progress with anybody, they all require that initial certification and if your installer has not provided that then he/she should be held accountable for your lost revenue. Was he/she registered in the first place? If you have been chasing him/her for over a year then that in itself sounds suspicious. Might be worth directing your anger towards the installer and trying to progress the MCS certificate instead of everyone else who can only help once you have the MCS certificate.
I suppose after a whole year of trying to sort this with my installer who still says they will sort it (13th June'17) and with Ofgem and Ovo & FIT & Roo-fit & MCS, I'm just really tired of the whole situation. Certificate or not I am still producing green energy which is a plus for the environment so I'm going to take a break, Thanks for all your input
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
As a new customer, I have just signed up to have my smart meters installed; will there be any problem with the electricity smart meter as I have solar panels fitted?
Userlevel 7
As a new customer, I have just signed up to have my smart meters installed; will there be any problem with the electricity smart meter as I have solar panels fitted?

Absolutely not, @PeterR1947

Check out the chat in this topic for more info on how a smart meter works with solar panels. As for getting your Feed in Tariff with OVO, check out this page: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/payments-and-statements/payments/whats-a-feed-in-tariff-fit-and-how-do-i-apply.html.

Tim
Userlevel 4
Hi PeterR1947,
There will be no problem in having a smart meter working with your solar panels, but don't expect the smart meter to do anything "smart" for getting your FIT readings - assuming your set-up is like mine, you will still have to take individual readings and submit them to OVO to get your FIT payments.
Badge
I'm on a FiT as I have some PV solar panels fitted, plus I have an Economy 7 meter. (A single meter which switches the tariff, not the dual circuit type).
Having PV panels have so far prevented a smart meter to be fitted, as they were incompatible. Has this been remedied and are OVO's SMs compatible with PV AND E7?
This might be a query for Ovo direct I guess?
Badge
(This was my first post to a forum, hoping the query is beneficial to others too)
Looking for the same info as Peter,

We have just had PVs fitted and will be looking at an EV in the near future,
currently we still have the old (30 year old!) meters installed but would like to know the rates for economy 7... why do OVO make it so difficult to find out ALL of their tariff rates?
Userlevel 5
Hi @PeterS and @Gizmo,

I've moved your comments to a thread about Solar panels and Smart meters.

@Steve587 can you help with this one?

Thanks,
Nancy
Userlevel 4
Sorry, I don't know anything about how Economy 7 interacts with having solar panels, but OVO made me have a smart meter fitted, as the old type meter was running backwards!! If there's some sort of incompatibility @PeterS, I don't know why that would be, but you may in fact be benifitting overall!! @Gizmo - I googled "Economy 7 OVO" and although it gave an explanation (also for Economy 10 as well), there didn't seem to be any rate information, so I can see why you're frustrated.
Hey @PeterS and @Gizmo

Just so you know - smart meters are compatible with both PV and Economy 7.

If you'd like to find out what our Economy 7 rates are, you'll need to get a new quote. Once you've entered in your details and clicked 'Next' you'll be offered 3 quotes. You can then click on 'Refine your quote' which is where you'll be taken to a page with the option to tick 'I have an Economy 7 meter'. Once you've clicked 'Continue' you'll be offered the Economy 7 rates for your area - https://switch.ovoenergy.com/get-quote.

Thanks,
Emma
Thanks Emma but it’s a bit late for me as I have now changed suppliers (to someone who’s rates were more transparent)

Happy for you to remove me from the forum.
Userlevel 4
Seems a bit of a convoluted way to get tariff information, rather than it being available directly. It seems to imply there are different rates depending where you live
Userlevel 5
We’ll let the team know your thoughts @Steve587.

Gutted to hear that you've now changed supplier @Gizmo. In order to remove you from the Forum we'd need to ban you as a user. Would you like us to do this?

Lucy

I am thinking about having a smart meter installed since OVO has indicated that I will have to do this if I want to remain on my present tariff upgrade,  OVO BeyondBETA.  Is this correct?

If I have to have a smart meter installed, how does the smart meter interact with the existing meter for our solar PV installation (the feed-in tariff is provided by npower, not Ovo). For example, will the smart meter be able to measure the amount of electricity fed into the grid from the solar PV installation?

Userlevel 5

You’ll need to have a smart meter installed for OVO Beyond to work for you, @JohnnyT, it’s the brains behind everything! :) 

Take a look at the best answer for more help with your query.

Userlevel 4

Your post raises a couple of queries/issues.

(1) It would seem that OVO are currently unaware (they are now, though!!) that you have solar panels installed and are receiving payment from npower. The issue though, is that you are  feeding in energy, thereby reducing your billed consumption (from OVO). When I had solar panels installed, OVO insisted I had a smart meter installed - my old spinning-disc type meter was going backwards thanks to the solar panels and I was building up credit directly (in addition to the FIT benefit). So expect to be forced to have one, whether you want it or not!!

(2) This doesn’t mean you should change your FIT arrangement from npower to OVO - you can leave it as it is, whilst getting OVO to supply your electricity.

To answer your question, yes, the smart meter will measure and display your exported electricity.

……………...

To answer your question, yes, the smart meter will measure and display your exported electricity.

I’m afraid that information is incorrect.  I had a Smart Meter fitted some years ago, matched a with a Pipit 500 display.  This was one of the early models of information display and for some inexplicable reason the information on the display changed, it used to have an instant readout of energy use which stopped working and is no longer an option to select so pretty useless for monitoring energy consumption for an end user.  The unit can only be reset once a year on the renewal of the annual billing cycle.  It certainly does not have the facility for measuring and displaying exported electricity from my Solar PV’s.  I have suggested to OVO that they should implement a rolling update programme for Smart Meters and Information Displays but my suggestion, as you might expect, has fallen on deaf ears.

Userlevel 4

The smart meter will record - and show - the amount of energy exported, as this is what is used to provide the reading for the FIT payment. The IHD (Pipit or similar) will not show this, as it does show instantaneous usage/costs etc. for the property as a whole, but, as far as I know, not for solar panels in isolation.