Solved

Can customers qualify for Power Move if the smart meter only sends daily readings?

• 3 October 2023
  • 9 replies

I signed up October 3rd for power move to save energy between 4 and 7pm.

The problem is my smart meter was sending daily readings up until October 3rd when i switched to the meter sending half hourly readings. How will ovo know if im saving energy between 4 and 7pm?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 3 October 2023, 16:11

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 12/10/23 by Abby_OVO

Daily Mode readings only submit a flat reading for the entire day with no further context. OVO can’t use this to calculate anything for Power Move.

Half-Hourly Mode readings include the full snapshots you can see in MyOVO - these are what the system uses to number crunch with.

Below is a direct extract from the OVO Power Move webpage:

How it works

You can join a Power Move challenge if you’re an OVO pay monthly and on demand customer with a smart meter that’s sending half-hourly readings. If you haven't already, you can easily switch to half-hourly reads through your online account.’

You can also check out more on how Power Move works on the dedicated FAQs page: https://www.ovoenergy.com/power-move-faqs

That must mean ovo will have no accurate data for my power move. I think ovo should make this clear to customers before offering such offers. Thankyou for your help Blastoise 186.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

They already do :)

Unfortunately ,ovo made it clear to me on the day i signed up to power move and they said swap from daily meter readings to half hourly thus making all previous meter readings invalid as they wouldn't know what i was using between 4 and 7pm. To reduce my usage now wont allow me to qualify for the credit as they have no accurate data

The emails sent out to customers inviting them to powermove should say "only customers with smart meters that send half hourly readings for a certain period before signing up to powermove" could make use of the offer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As part of sign-up, you get moved to Half-Hourly automatically and join the challenge once that’s activated. You then start once the data comes in.

But they have no previous data to assess whether a customer uses less between 4 and 7pm.....…its impossible to gauge a customers usage between certain hours if they switch a meter from daily to half hourly meter readings on the day of sign up to the power move offer.

Its as clear as mud😀

For example 

Between 4 and 7 for the last 6mths i use 3kw/h but my meter has been sendind daily readings of 20kw/day.

I sign up to save power on day my meter sends half hourly readings. I immediately reduce usage to 1kw/hour between 4 and 7pm.

Ovo can only assume i use 1kw/h during those hours not realising ive reduced usage by 2 thirds as they have no previous data from daily meter readings. 

Quite impossible to gauge if swithching from daily to half hourly and reducing usage on same day!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Incorrect. You start the challenge from the next day and you can still win if you meet the targets for the remainder of that month. It doesn’t rely on historical data so much as data from when you start.

It’ll make more sense if you try it out.