Skip to main content

My smart meter was installed on 27th September and I today checked my account online
The smart meter is sending readings and the account details show that the terminal THTC readings were correctly recorded however my account is now showing I am in debit by over £7000 pounds for electricity used in the time since installation. When the new meter was installed I had a credit balance of £300
Usage has continued as normal with no night storage heating in circuit
The smart meter reading history confirms our normal low usage and is set to Domestic Economy Tariff
I have just had a long and fruitless conversation with Customer Services who could not or would not inform me where the billed amount was raised/allocated to
Their system is to raise a query/complaint for investigation which will take 10 days.
A”Resolver” will telephone me within 24 to 48 hours to explain the OVO standard procedure if I am at home!
The C.S. operative was very unhelpful and would not allow me to speak to anyone who could take any immediate action
Meanwhile OVO are continuing to ignore the Smart Meter readings and rack up thousands of pounds of debt against my account!
Is there any way to get help with what I believe to be an accounting problem and speak to someone with the authority to take some immediate action?
The C.S. operative did admit that I did not owe the amount raised against my account but refused to confirm that by email

Interesting. Thanks for posting, sorry to hear you’ve had such a horrible experience. Just been on a chat with OVO because they keep sending comms about switching to a smart meter but we’re on an E10 “complex” tariff and I have read about dozens of similar post installation issues. They said any online account readings can be ignored for the first 6 weeks whilst systems are fully configured but that’s hardly reassuring because the customer is doing all the worrying and leg work during this time. I have decided to hold out as long as possible, in the meantime keeping a close eye on this forum and how issues like yours are being resolved. All the best with getting things sorted. 

I was considering a switch of supplier but OVO have effectively blocked any switch by showing my account is so much in debit

OVO do not inspire confidence!

Well well!
After my heated words with customer lack of service  earlier and posting on here I returned to my account to find that my debt has disappeared and my account is now showing as in credit. 
I believe this will now be my Goodbye to OVO

That’s excellent news! I explained to the advisor on chat there are many customers experiencing issues like yours. They don’t inspire confidence do they. But perhaps this means OVO is listening, at least to this forum. I shall keep a watching brief!