Solved

Will Charge Anytime electric vehicle (EV) add on work with Granny Chargers?

• 7 April 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

We have recently bought a VW-ID3 and are using a ‘Granny’ charger during Economy 7 night period. Would Charge Anytime work with this type of charger? Also - does anyone know when OVO will include VW’s in its list of eligible vehicles? 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 7 April 2023, 09:47

View original

3 replies

Badge

Yes, works with three-pin, just tried it out on my I-Pace.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 14/02/24 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Just a heads up. Using a Granny Charger with Charge Anytime is NOT Supported. While it may work, you’ll struggle to get a full charge or reach targets because the system expects your EV to get a full speed charge at the fastest rate possible.

Granny Chargers are incapable of doing that. Please consider getting a dedicated EV Charger that’s compatible with Charge Anytime (if you don’t have a compatible EV via D2V) to get the most out of it.

VW support is coming, but won’t be ready for a while.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Yes, I can confirm it does work with a VW granny charger and WeConnect as I’ve been using it successfully on my VW Golf eHybrid.

However, being a PHEV my Golf has a relatively small battery that doesn’t demand a long full-speed charge. On the few occasions where it doesn’t quite top up to the set level, I either take the hit of an Urgent Charge or just use hybrid setting.

@Blastoise186 is correct that you may struggle to get your target charge using the 3-pin charger. You may also find that it cuts out and is then unable to re-connect to your ID3 without physically switching off and on the charger.