Solved

Why isn't the Nissan Leaf eligible for Anytime add on EV tariff?

• 1 September 2022
  • 11 replies

Badge +1

The Leaf isn’t on the list of vehicles that OVO says is compatible with their systems. Does anyone know why?  I’m asking as I have a smart meter, a smart charger (not one of the ones OVO recommends) and solar panels and was hoping to benefit from the V2G when is is fully up and running..

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 6 September 2022, 11:41

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have a Nissan Leaf e+ and OVO EV Everywhere Economy 7 (with smart meter) and I charge through a Project EV charger, I don't have solar panels.

(Apart from the problem with an App, not the fault of OVO) I have charged reliably for over a year through the Project EV charger.

Badge +1

Thanks for this .unfortunately OVO everywhere isn’t available to me.  I have been charging my car with no problem but am concerned that the Leaf is not on the list of cars compatible with the ‘direct to vehicle’ option that they are planning 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s possible that it could be because the Nissan Leaf uses CHAdeMO rather than CCS, while almost all the vehicles on the list seem to use CCS instead. Apparently CCS supports some kind of data transfer functionality that CHAdeMO doesn’t support, which I think is something like HomePlug GreenPHY (which is also the only HomePlug standard that actually works to be honest!).

CCS has full support for that standard, but CHAdeMO does not because it tries to use a CAN Bus instead, which is a completely different system.

My other theory is that the Nissan Leaf is a Japanese vehicle which doesn’t support whatever methods OVO is trying to use for Direct-To-Vehicle mode of Drive Anytime, or that Nissan decided not to support it.

These are just guesses though as I cannot say for sure.

Badge +1

Thank you for the reply. I had assumed that as there isn’t a problem getting the home charger to use solar energy that there wouldn’t be a problem.  Hopefully someone will sort it out

Userlevel 7

Updated on 15/12/23 by Abby_OVO

You can see all eligibility details in our Charge Anytime page here.

• You must be an OVO Energy customer and have an eligible car or charger. We’re constantly looking to open up the eligibility of this product to more EV models and chargers, so if you don’t see your tech here, keep an eye on our page. 
  • Right now, solar panels aren’t compatible with Charge Anytime (unless you have an Indra Pro Smart Charger). But we’re working on making this happen soon.

I have a Nissan Leaf e+ and OVO EV Everywhere Economy 7 (with smart meter) and I charge through a Project EV charger, I don't have solar panels.

(Apart from the problem with an App, not the fault of OVO) I have charged reliably for over a year through the Project EV charger.

I have been charging my car with no problem but am concerned that the Leaf is not on the list of cars compatible with the ‘direct to vehicle’ option that they are planning 

Keep an eye on our Charge Anytime product page@agapanthus - we’ll keep that updated with all the info on eligible EVs.

Userlevel 2

I have been checking your EV Anytime pages regularly and there is still no news about support for the Nissan LEAF.  Is it a work in progress or a non-starter?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Might be a while. It depends on Nissan playing ball

Userlevel 7

I’m pretty sure we’re looking at every EV make and model to unlock eligibility with Charge Anytime, @ellisbirt. As Blastoise mentions there’s somewhat of a dependency on the manufacturer but we’re working on it. We’ll keep the eligibility sheet up to date. 

Bit of a strange thing not supporting the Leaf considering the partnership with Ovo and Nissan for V2G as well as Nissans partnership with Kaluza which powers the smart charging.

Badge +2

I wish the Leaf was availible as i have two, and two Zappis which are not compatible with charge anytime, so eco 7 charging only atm at approx 20p/kWh.  CCS /  CHAdeMO Has nothing to do with charge anytime. Nissan don't (currently) allow access to their API for integration with 3rd parties, or that was the case a number of years ago, though i can no longer find the info relating to this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

As far as I’m aware, Nissan seems to be especially strict with the API access. It may be some time before the Leaf can be supported.