What EV to buy?

• 13 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

EV vehicle purchase, which one…

I chose last year one which may seem a bit off piste to many.

I have had over the past few years run 3 SsangYong SUV’s all bought new all with a 7 year warranty, they are very well equipped and a really reasonable price.

I have had no trouble with them, they bought out an electric Korando emotion early in 2022 and being an electric only house with solar, heat pump and no gas available it made sense to look at it, most EV cars had a long waiting list but the SsangYong Korando e motion Ultimate was only 4 months . I traded in my Rexton  Ultimate diesel.

it arrived in November 2022 so I have had it almost a year. I have had one teething problem and that has been with the 12v battery which is used to run the ancillaries onan EV. Mine comes with a heat pump at standard , the 12v operates most things on the dash board and it it runs flat the car will not go into gear. This has been a problem with other makes which use the same power train from LG chem a subsidiary of the huge LG Korean firm, nee Lucky Goldstar in the old days.

SsangYong are Korean and everything is to a high specification , it had a real world range of 202 miles from a 61.5 KWH battery. There are 3 models of Korando starting from around £32,000.

I can offer no advice to others but just say I would buy another.

specification

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

A good insight, thanks @Nick Challacombe .

As someone who has only jumped ‘half-way’ so far (I have a hybrid), I would be interested to know how EV users think their vehicle is doing

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Lets put it this way, I would not go back to an ordinary vehicle or Hybrid but I am a classic car nut and have the use of other vehicles for long and interesting journeys. The everyday run about or trips to the midlands and West Country, (we live in Suffolk) I still use the EV but the charging infrastructure takes some getting used to!!.

Userlevel 2

I find it hilariously ironic that “ an electric only house with solar, heat pump and no gas” also relies on an electric vehicle which has a fault with the 12v battery which if it runs flat the car will not go into gear. 😂😂.

Me - I’m sticking with my 3 litre 6 cylinder 40 mpg diesel; I can refuel at any of the 8000 plus fuel stations around the UK in minutes and store up to 3500 litres of DERV in a tank on the (domestic) premises. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Wow @P50WKB do you actually store that amount of diesel or are you just saying you could ? 

Userlevel 2

Tank capacity - I don’t store that much on site any more partly due to the ever increasing presence of tea leafs, fewer vehicles to use it up, and keeping the diesel fresh - summer diesel is no good in the winter in this part of the UK. But it’s good to take advantage of dropping prices occasionally 😁.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Hi P60WKB, I do not have to use the electric car, I use it as a run about locally , 100 miles or so there and back and around town and at 10p per kWh it’s as cheap as chips.

For long holiday and fun type trips I use my 1962 5.2 V8 Bristol 407 which I have had for 25 years or my wife’s 1987 Mercedes 300SL for trips abroad. Why waste the classics on gong into town or supermarket.

We also have a 4 x 4 for towing and run about a little Daihatsu Terios 1.5 owned from new.

I used to own 3 franchised  garages   , Jeep, Daihatsu, TVR and Alfa Romeo so I have a little knowledge of cars. 
The Korando EV is a great run about for an 80 year old classic car nut.

Cheers

Userlevel 2

……...1962 5.2 V8 Bristol 407 ………..aaah - green with envy 😍