Solved

Our consumer unit and meter are where we'd like our EV charge point installed?

• 16 March 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge

We are in the process of purchasing an EV and having a charger installed at home.

Our consumer unit and electric meter are under the stairs adjacent to the driveway where we would like the charging point installed. We have a 1930s house, are we likely to need additional work done by an electrician, or would OVO be able to install this?

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 16 March 2024, 16:23

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Laurenf267 ,

As far as I know, OVO can only help with installing EV Chargers purchased through OVO’s own channels. If you purchased elsewhere, it’s up to whoever the assigned installer is.

If you need the meter moved however, OVO can help with that but it may cost you £125 to do so, or £325 if it’s Three-Phase.

Badge

We are looking to purchase and install the charger with OVO. Our main concern was that on the website it stated we needed an external electric meter (ours is internal under the stairs).

Naively we have purchased an EV car before getting a full quote to install, we assumed it would be easy as the connections are all the opposite side of the external wall where we’d have the charging point. 

We don’t mind paying extra if things need to be moved, just concerned it will need electricians etc which could take weeks for the work to be completed!  

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There’ll be a site survey done first, which is the best way to find out.

Badge

Fingers crossed! I have no idea if I have uploaded the correct pictures, so I’m prepared to be back and fourth on emails until they can actually attend and access. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Just as aside, as a relatively new user, do not get side tracked by the price of the cheapest instal, please make sure if you wish to use OVO anytime rate of 7p per kWh you use one of two as far, as I can tell, recommend chargers. I have an Indra Smart pro plus, the installers were fine. Photos and position of charger fine and length of cable from power source essential. 
Make sure that the cable box is near the position of your EV charger point on your car.

Actually quite simple, the installers are used to most types of house and are very good.

Userlevel 6

Hi @Laurenf267 

Welcome to the Forum.

Some of our volunteers have left some really helpful advice on this already but I did want to pop onto the thread with some more information.

If you need the meter moved however, OVO can help with that but it may cost you £125 to do so, or £325 if it’s Three-Phase.

If the meter does need moved, this job would come at a cost like Blastoise186 has mentioned, I’ve linked below to a helpful topic on this:

I am going to check with the team if the meter would need to be moved first, I’ll pop back on here with an update soon on that.

Hope this has been helpful so far.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Laurenf267 

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you on this, but I’ve now heard back from the team.

They advise that the best bet would be to complete the survey here. Then we can assess the options with the cable route and the best steps and options for you. That said we'd want to keep drilling inside the property to a minimum. 

I hope that’s been helpful to you, from their advice, there’s no certain need for it to be moved in every occasion and the survey will help show if that’d be needed.🙂