Solved

I've recently bought an electric car and need to know the kilo watts unit price?

• 20 September 2023
  • 22 replies

Badge

I've recently bought an electric car and need to know the kilo watts unit price

42 minutes in the phone 4 department later and they cut me off 

I've seen the green tariff but I'm unsure because you need the energy to be available to charge your car 

do I need advice as to which tariff to use really I'd like to know if there's a tariff available that goes down to a cheaper tariff during the night but it's there to use as octopus have one like this but I'm unable to join due to monies owed 

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 20 September 2023, 16:17

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 19/02/24 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Find out more about Charge Anytime in this handy Forum FAQ:

Hi @geordie12568 ,

If you’re using Charge Anytime it’s 10p/kWh for EV Charging that’s managed by the system, otherwise your standard Unit Rate for whatever tariff you pick for everything else. This can work out cheaper than anything else on the market if you charge your EV a lot. The cheap rate is available 24/7 with no time limits.

I should warn you that those Octopus tariffs with cheaper rates at certain times also punish you with higher rates the rest of the time - this may not always save you any money.

What EV and Charger do you have? And do you have anything else that uses a lot of juice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @geordie12568 , have you looked at Charge Anytime? If you have a compatible EV or charger you should be able to sign up. 

Badge

I use my tumble dryer and dish washer if that's what you mean lol 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yeah that’s not gonna be enough to justify a Time of Use tariff or Economy 7.

Badge

it's a OHME home pro charger 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Gotcha. In that case, you can use OVO Charge Anytime directly with that Charger - and this is the way we recommend doing it where possible as it’s a bit more reliable, along with working with whatever EV you plug in.

Charge Anytime will try to charge during the greener slots, but either way if you let it do its thing, you’ll always get a charge anyway even if conditions aren’t perfect. The system will override itself as a last resort if the grid isn’t able to be green enough to get the job done on time.

Badge

is charge anytime the green energy one that isn't always available 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Not sure what you mean about “green energy one”.

Badge

if the grid isn't available what's the price per kilo watt hour 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Charge Anytime has a fixed rate - it’s 10p/kWh for ALL EV Charging no matter how green (or not green) the grid is. All other usage is at whatever your normal tariff rate is.

Badge

what's a time of use tariff 

Badge

how do they discount is it a rebate at the end of the month or am I billed each month 10p per kilowatt hour 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The discount is applied as a rebate later. For this reason, Charge Anytime works best if you’re on Direct Debit.

As for the ToU thing? Google is your friend.

Badge

if there's no green energy available does it then charge at a full tariff and not 10 p per kilowatt hour I'm a little confused here 

Badge

how reliable is the rebate system and how often is the rebate given 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

if there's no green energy available does it then charge at a full tariff and not 10 p per kilowatt hour I'm a little confused here 

10p

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

how reliable is the rebate system and how often is the rebate given 

Added to your account the month following 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime

Badge

if it's not in the schedule it does charge at the scheduled tariff  rate I'll be on with charge anytime , and not 10p , per kilowatt hour,  can anyone explain how the smart charging schedule works please 

Userlevel 6

@geordie12568 word of caution….

What has been said about the rebate system I assume is correct. I’m on a similar scheme, the Vehicle to Grid scheme and I import about 20 kW per day, the house uses about 10 and I export about 16.9 per day. OVO charge me about £10 a day for both the import and export which means my monthly outgoing from my money they already have is about £300. Start the month with £400 in credit and by the end of the month I’m only £100 in credit….In compensation for what I bought and exported they give me the money back plus 15p per kW. That means I receive about £250 a month and pocket about £70 on top of what I’m charged. 

Now here’s the cruncher. If you pay your bills by direct debit the computer doesn’t recognise the export credit, just how much you import from The Grid and when you import in the night and export during the day that’s a lot of money, as I say about £300. So, though I use £250 worth of electricity and they give me £300, they still demand monthly payments of over £300…...and you have to ring up every 3 months, spend 2 hours on the phone explaining to yet another member of the call centre (I almost know them all by first name now, even invited to a 50th Birthday Party) what V2G is and why you don’t actually use all the electricity you import, you merely store it for them. Be prepared to argue your corner why your direct debit shouldn’t be through the roof…

Leo Monkeyhanger

Badge

is this solar panels ,, my query is just a car charging system 

Userlevel 6

@geordie12568 , No It’s charging EV overnight from OVO and then exporting it back to The Grid on the afternoon, evening. However the scheme I’m on doesn’t allow me to import electricity at a discounted rate of 10p. I have to pay the full whack of 30p per kW for every unit I download...That said my car is connected to The Grid that much I’ve had to buy a second car just to get out of the house….so I wouldn’t get much benefit for cheap rate electricity anyway, back to good old Diesel...The irony of it all is that even at 30p per kW it’s cheaper to do local journeys in my Nissan LEAF, however because of the prices charged for electricity at Motorway Service Stations if I want to go on a journey longer than 100 miles return it’s cheaper to drive a 2.7 ton diesel Land Rover Discovery…..There is absolutely no incentive to go green. I paid through the nose to join the scheme in the first place and still paying through the nose because I’m still on the scheme….whinge over.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@geordie12568 , what happens for Charge Anytime is that you set a time for the car to be charged by and the system takes over and charges at the greenest slots. It doesn’t matter how green they are. As long as you let the system look after the charging, you get charged at the low rate (currently 10p per kWh). If you ask for an immediate or boost charge, you get charged at your regular tariff rate. 
You should note that you need an OVO account and a smart meter with half hourly readings along with a compatible Charger or EV