Solved

How do I set up an electric vehicle (EV) charger to my garage if it's all a communal supply to the flats garages?

• 29 March 2023
  • 1 reply

Live in a block of flats with communal supply of electricity to garages. I was told by the property manager that it is impossible to separate the usage of electricity to individual garages. Am planning on getting an EV and wanted to have an EV charger installed where I park, but it seems installation is not possible due to communal use of electricity. Is there a workaround to have a separate meter for my bit of the garage?

Thanking you in advance.

icon

Best answer by M.isterW 29 March 2023, 22:05

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I have a friend in the same situation (maybe you are my friend 😁). The problem you're likely to have isn't just the metering of the supply. It's having enough current for a charger.

A car charger draws 30amps. That's far more than the normal circuit you'd have in a garage. To fit a car charger you need to run a new cable from the consumer unit (or fit a new consumer unit off the meter).

I think your options are…

1 - Run a new cable from your own supply. Either from your consumer unit or fit a new CU next to your meter.

2 - Ask the property manager about fitting an EV charger for use by everyone. They would need to look at how to charge for the electricity but I'm sure there's a company out there that can help.