Solved

Do you need a smart meter for Charge Anytime

• 9 October 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I have an EV due to arrive in about 2 weeks. We are with EDF and have solar panels on FIT, but no smart meter. We are looking to move to OVO Charge Anytime, but I am unclear about whether we will need a smart meter, whether I should get EDF or OVO to install it, and what order should the installation of smart meter and charger and account transfer happen. Can somebody advise please? I assume that we will need an Indra Smart Pro, but I would also be interested in whether that charger is also supported by other energy providers. The car is an Audi E-Tron if that makes any difference.

icon

Best answer by BPLightlog 9 October 2023, 13:05

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Updated on 01/11/23 by Tim_OVO: As of the 1st November 2023, Charge Anytime now offers  7p per kWh for smart charging. It can be added to any OVO plan, including electric-only households

Who can get Charge Anytime

There are now two ways you can get Charge Anytime:

You must have an eligible EV or Smart Charger, we’re constantly looking into ways to broaden eligibility of this product so if your technology isn’t currently on this list keep an eye on our page for updates! 

Hi @alanrobertdavies , I believe that any intelligent tariff will need a smart meter - certainly OVO’s does. 
A smart meter takes a few weeks to get in ‘sync’ and so you wouldn’t be able to use Charge Anytime until that happens. 
With solar PV , it becomes difficult to distinguish where the power for the EV is coming from and so that’s where the Indra charger comes in to things. 
Even if you get a smart meter fitted before a switch, on supplier change, it again takes a few weeks for a smart meter to connect properly so perhaps a switch, then get a smart meter installed is the way to go