Solved

Can OVO help install an EV charger?

• 18 July 2022
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I have installed Solar Panels on my roof giving an output of 7.5Kwh, I am installing Batteries when they become available, chip shortage apparently. I would like asap to install an EV charger to power an EV i have on order. Do OVO help in any way.?  or do I just go out a buy one for my electrician to fit.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated as I am not very tech savvy.

Thank you, Nick Challacombe

icon

Best answer by nealmurphy 18 July 2022, 12:08

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 14/12/23 by Abby_OVO

Hi @Nick Challacombe 

Not sure if you’ve found this page yet: https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/smart-charger

OVO members get £70 off the chargers listed. The Indra Smart PRO charger works with solar and can also be used with the +Anytime add-on to the Drive tariff.

Also highly regarded for solar setups is the Zappi charger, so you may want to take a look at this one as well.

OVO engineers can install EV Chargers for direct customers, as well as Ohme customers.

We’re working with three manufacturers currently: Hypervolt, Indra and Ohme; it’s their EV Chargers we are installing. Visit our smart charger homepage to see the chargers available at the moment.

Check out this smart charging guide for more on all things EV smart charging.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Thank you Neal, No I had not found that page, I think the site is a bit like a computer game and I had not found that access. Thank you.

My installer recommended Zappi so I will have another look at that.

Very helpful

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It is exactly like a computer game and we are merely players.

You are standing in a room with doors leading to the north, west and east. Sunlight can be seen through the crack in the door to the east, whilst to the north the faint sound of hammering can be heard in the distance. To the west you can hear the sound of running water.

Do you:

Go north:

Go east: 

Go west:

I cannot get a smart meter where I live. But if I buy a EV car charger, will I be able to get reduced costs to charge the car, we have good internet connection

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@terryc 

Short answer is probably not.

Do you currently have a single rate meter? Economy 7 could be a middle ground, although not as exciting.

What is the reason for not being able to have a smart meter? Is it geographical or logistical with your property? Knowing this may be able to unearth some potential options.

Geographical, we dont have the necessary mobile network. OVO web site state it's not available in our area. Yes we have a single rate meter.